Time for another Southern California get-together?

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Strider: LOL

Gyrene: All the women in California look good. My family and I went to New York two years ago and there wasn't ONE single female worth looking at!! I kid you not!! :eek:

I saw that the opposite was true in my 2 visits to London...the "scenery" was how you say, easy on the eyes.

Should the group decide on the Santa Monica area, I can do a little facilitating, if that would help. I have a small business there at Santa Monica airport.

The Spitfire Grill restaurant, which is on the field, has a meduim-sized, glassed-in area in the back that they would be happy to set up for us, given a little notice. They said they can set up the tables to accommodate some laptops, and such.

I've also got a call into the Tours and Groups person at the Museum of Flying with regard to discount admission. And yes, they do (did) have a Yak 9 in flying condition on display. (I was the first manager at the museum, but they'll probably still let us in anyway. :D ) The museum is only open on weekends currently. Saturday and Sunday would also definitely be better than a Friday night from a traffic perspective.

So let's see what the group decides.

L4Pilot

[ May 08, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: L4Pilot ]

Hmmm...its a little out of the way but can we consider Chino and the Planes of Fame museum? Its got far more gist for the talking mill.

I'm in Santa Clarita, so anything is a 40 min drive.

Timeframe: anytime on a weekend

Cheers

Murray

Originally posted by Claymore:

Hmmm...its a little out of the way but can we consider Chino and the Planes of Fame museum? Its got far more gist for the talking mill.

I'm in Santa Clarita, so anything is a 40 min drive.

Timeframe: anytime on a weekend

Cheers

Murray

Chino's Planes of Fame would be a remote possibility due to it being sort of out of the way and open during the day only. (They close at 4pm, I think). There's no place to sit and yap at the Chino Airport really, restaurant-wise.

They do have a Sherman tank though... ;)

Santa Monica seems a better bet, despite the fact that I live minutes away from the Chino Airport.

Gyrene

I say:

Santa Monica airport, Sat, June 22.

-This will give us an accessable place to eat and chat; oh yeah, and drink. tongue.gif

-It's on a Saturday, so none of you church going types will be effected (except Catholics). ;)

-It has the museum that we can stumble around in if we like. :cool:

-The date is far enough in advance that we can get the time off from our respective employers (yes, some of us do work weekends) :rolleyes:

-The date is also the Barbarossa kick off date (and maybe the CMBB kick off date too)! :eek:

Thats what methinks. Anyone?

[ May 08, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

The Muiseum of Flying is open Sat -Sun 10-5. It takes an hour or less to see pretty well. I'm still waiting for a callback re: group admission.

I work til 4 on Saturday, but I can join up with whatever the group is doing at that time. And Spitfire Grill (which incidently has about a dozen beers on tap, not that that would matter to members of this get-together) should be available from 3pm on.

So if that's the choice, let me know about the timing, so's I can firm it up with the places involved.

Oh yeah, do the San Diego county people want to carpool up here? Having grown up in San Diego, I know about the drive. (Psss... The San Diego Aerospace Museum is better)

Also I just found out that the Museum of Flying in Snata Monica will be closing permanentlky on June 30 of this year :mad: Don't get me started on that little fiasco!

L4Pilot

[ May 09, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: L4Pilot ]

L4Pliot,

It's closing? Well that sucks. :mad: All the more reason for the June 22 meeting. I say: we meet at 2-3pm? This will give everyone enough time to make the drive without some having to wake early (GOD FORBID ;) ) on a Saturday! Since the museum closes a 5pm, this will give us plenty of time to visit it.

Gyrene,

I think we'll need a list of those who know for sure they are coming, so our friend can set up accomodations for us at the Spitfire Grill. Maybe everyone can e-mail you or L4Pilot, and a list can be posted on the thred so we have an idea of how many will be there? I'm in. I just have to make arrangments with my employer.

[ May 10, 2002, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

I'll work on making the arrangements with the Museum and the restaurant. And although this certainly won't matter to any of the expected attendees, the current draught beer list from Spitfire Grill includes:

Angel City Lager

Fosters Lager

Oregon Honey Lager

Samuel Adams Lager

Angel City Ale

Bass Ale

Firestone Double Barrel Ale

Newcastle Brown Ale

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Pyramid Hefeweizen

Wyder's Pear Cider

Guinness Stout

As well as a number of domestic and imported bottled beverages.

L4Pilot

When you have your get together, let me know the exact co-ordinates. Ignore that high flying jet above you.....

Rune

Just jealous you are going for good beer. Maybe time for another Chicago get together with the added sneak preview of CMBB

I'm out guys. My pathetic employer needs two freak'n months of notice to get a day off for an employee. It's just the lazy, whining, bitch that handels our schedualing. Unfortunatly, my bosses think she is an excellent person for the position, even though 90% of the staff complains about her and her policy. :mad:

Heve fun ya'll. Drink a couple for me. :cool:

I'm going to suggest throwing it open to time and place, again. The restaurant is still fine if so desired, but I'm getting conflicting information about the Museum of Flying's closure date. Also, apparently most of the intersting WWII airccraft have been moved out (to Mojave).

And several of the original proponents of Santa Monica seem to be unable.

Perhaps we will want to wait until CMBB is shipping so as to have something to go ga-ga over when we get together.

l4Pilot

Originally posted by L4Pilot:

I'm going to suggest throwing it open to time and place, again. The restaurant is still fine if so desired, but I'm getting conflicting information about the Museum of Flying's closure date. Also, apparently most of the intersting WWII airccraft have been moved out (to Mojave).

And several of the original proponents of Santa Monica seem to be unable.

Perhaps we will want to wait until CMBB is shipping so as to have something to go ga-ga over when we get together.

l4Pilot

I should be able to make time for most any date we can come up with.

Whatever we can get going that will be the most convenient for the most people.

Gyrene