Old School Modders?

What happened to some of the "old school" modders like Fernando Buil (excellent German winter uniforms/AFVs: CMBO) and Marco Bergman (excellent Shermans: CMBO)? ...not to mention all the other excellent modders such as: Tiger, KwazyDog, Magua, Gordon Molek, Makjager, John Baukman, Richard Bodle, Mensch, John Tucker (excellent StG), Scipio (I saw some of his new stuff), and DD (I'm sorry if I left anyone out).

I'm sure they're burried in playing the game right now, however new modders like The Big Cheese and Mr. Noobie will have modded the entire game before they start! I hope to see some of their excellent work sometime soon....

;)

Originally posted by MrNoobie:

hehe the reason i started modding is because i got impatient, i wanted someone to add slogans to the russian tanks and seeing that nobody is really doing anything i figured hell why not, its fun smile.gif

Very nice work to Noob. I enjoy my games whenever one of your models appear in them.

Hmmm...

I would say that many have been working on mods for CMBB for some time! Well, not mods. I mean, look at the manual and the credits!

You have Fernando, who did the infantry uniforms. You got Bergman who did those cool minor nation tanks (rivets and all). Gordon doing a lot of camo work. Makjaeger is in there too! They already have their stamp all over CMBB.

And Magua is playing CMBB, maybe something from him later. Tiger has already donated several CMBB mods. Scipio is busy with winter uniforms. Actually, just because you don't hear from them doesn't mean the old greats are not doing some projects for the undeserving MOD Sluts around here.

Some of them, like DD, I haven't heard from in awhile. Who knows, CMBB may bring them out again. But we have some new talent around too! And Tanks a Lot!!! Man, did you see his trees? We NEED those. Woods that are easier to spot infantry. And Gordon showed off his own stuff (dirtied Tiger and SPW 251/1 with swastika air recognition panels).

There's some good stuff coming. And new models and eye popping textures from CM 1.01 patch too! By the way, graphics for the CM patch is coming from several of those you listed, so consider the patch a monster mod if you will, as far as graphics go. It also means that they are very busy. Heck, we have patch 1.02 coming sooner or later!

I'm also sure that the old modders may be a little bit needing a long break from modding and playing for a change, as you noted. They deserve it! But I want those trees. And if Gordon is listening, as I brush off my knees, snowed on vehicles would be nice. :D

[ October 25, 2002, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: kump ]

"snowed on vehicles would be nice"

Ah, yes, I'm reminded of the great fight for Snowed on versus White wahsed winter camo....

As I recal, it wen something like this:

Me: Man these mods suck!

Everyone esle: Joo FEWL

Me: They really do suck though!

Everyone esle: White Wash ownz

Me: Ok, ok... please. Pretty please?

Everyone esle: No!

Me: Fine, be that way!

That's just about all I remeber. Anway, at some point gary convinced Marco to wip up a nice little 'snowed on' version of his summer shermas, based on the Magua hlaftrack look (haven't heard form him since Normandy).

And a legend was born.

Fernando's German winter uniforms as well as his whitewashed and snowed German AFVs for CMBO were so excellent, I'm getting impatient watching my Wehrmacht freezing in their summer uniforms while their grey blob tanks move across the frozen steppe...perhaps it's realistic for Dec '41!

I've got an idea to help keep Fernando modding all night long...I want to see the stIG 33B, sIG 33H, Nashorn and Hummel, Jpz IV, StG IV, German support HTs, winterized tanks and winter uniforms in 1.02!!!

"For more than 25 years, VIVARIN® has been America's #1 alertness aid. That's because it's helped millions who, when they were fatigued or drowsy, wanted to focus their attention and take charge of their busy lives. VIVARIN® has been recognized by the FDA as a safe and effective way to restore mental alertness and focus. Whether it's at work, school, or play, VIVARIN® can help put you back at the top of your game."

;)

Posted by Lord General MB:

That's just about all I remeber. Anway, at some point gary convinced Marco to wip up a nice little 'snowed on' version of his summer shermas, based on the Magua hlaftrack look (haven't heard form him since Normandy).

Someone remembers? Yep, Magua introduced it on his halftracks, I literally begged for more, Marco delivered with the Shermans, and Gordon picked up the torch and continued it. Those snowed on tanks are legend.

Magua is still in touch, just very busy. If he gets a chance to mod again, we'll see it. But I heard rumor these folks have real lives. I hope its not true, but that's the rumor. I certainly hope this time around they get more playing time. Ooops. MOD Slut blasphemy! Sorry, didn't mean to say that.

Someone needs to convert the legendary light brown MDMP 1 (or 2?) Tiger mod for CMBB, I used that sucker all the way through to the end of CMBO's life.

Oh, and then there are those legendary Jagdpanther and Jagdtiger skins in one of the MDMP's too. I believe these were all Kwazydogs mods, but I'm not certain.

I agree that a few "old school" modders have contributed immensely to CMBB. Perhaps they should be called "makers" rather than modders since they contributed the originals. It seems most of the new "mods" are from a few new modders. Noobie is a one man mod powerhouse...does he sleep? (keep up the good work Noobie) ;)

You may be able to just copy the old skies over. IIRC BO skies were numbered 1400-1415 and 1430-1445(for low res). BB skies are numbered 1400-1457, and there don't appear to be any low res skies. It doesn't look like the model the skies are mapped on (a giant box) has changed, and the size of the images (1024 X 1024) is the same, so BO skies will probably work with BB...

You may have to fiddle with the filenames so that you don't end up replacing a dawn sky, with, say, overcast mid-day...

Ben

SurlyBen,

According to what I have read from MadMatt, the skies have indeed changed. You now have a seperate east and west texture and a third used for north and south. You have to be very careful how it lines up, so skies are going to be a little more difficult to do this time. Means the old CMBO textures will not work very well.

This is word of mouth. I haven't looked into it myself yet.

Originally posted by kump:

Some of them, like DD, I haven't heard from in awhile.

I wish to heaven DD would resurface and convert his grass mod for CMBB. Just personally, that grass, when considering all levels and views, is the best. I've installed his CMBO grass in BB, but there are additional elevations in BB not present in BO, and, of course, the additional steppe terrain.

Kump: Well that explains why there are all those nearly identical skies, and three times as many... As far as getting the edges to match, though, you always had to do that. As long as you use the same BO texture to replace all the related skies you should be fine... Personally, I kind of like the new skies...