Differences in national psychologies in CMBO?

Howdy,

Having played this game for a week now (yeah, rank newb, I know) I'm getting to be curious about the psychological mechanisms for our little digital fighting men.

For instance, is there any difference between different nationalities? The manual doesn't say. Now in ASL, for instance, an American squad will rout quicker than other nationalities, but bounce back again really fast. And they have lots of inherent firepower.

British 1st-liners have less firepower, but will tough it out more than their American brothers. And they won't cower when firing at the enemy. And so on for all the different nationalities.

Is there a similar difference between nationalities in CMBO? Or CMBB for that matter, though I haven't seen that in stores yet. smile.gif

It might add flavor but would be hard to sustain over the whole range of different battle situations and troop type and experience levels: e.g. a brand new US infantry squad in June '44 is going to be very different from a squad in the same platoon (now grizzled and triumphant vets) in May '45. On the other hand vet German SS Grenadiers in June '44 are going to very different from a barely trained and doddering Volksturmm outfit in May '45. So those differences are measured by Conscript, Green, Regular, Vet, etc. This range would be even greater in CMBB, and so the new game adds another layer: fitness.

One thing that scenario designers can do to add flavor is to adjust the degree of fanaticism for either side. There's a normal setting that's rather low, but it can be adjusted. Not even the designer knows which units will fanatical--that's randomly assigned by the computer. Thus, SS troopers defending a village or the paratroop Vets defending Bastogne might have high degrees of fanaticism.

[ October 26, 2002, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by Bakker@home:

Nope.

Because how would you back this up? It isn't very measurable ...

<Mr. Picky hat on>

Psychologists can and do measure differences in attitudes between national and cultural groupings. Measureable it may be, if we ignore the minor difficulty of administering the test instruments retrospectively to people 55-60 years ago.

It's not clear that it is terribly meaningful, though.

<Philosophical hat on>

I suspect that many of the troubles of the world arise from the confusion between "measurable" and "meaningful".

Originally posted by Bakker@home:

No national differences in psychology or troop behaviour in CMBO / CMBB.

<Tactical hat on>

True in CM:BO; not quite true in CM:BB. Thanks to the "Human Wave" order, there is one uniquely-Russian piece of tactical behaviour. Personally, I would like to see this distinction removed, by making the "Screaming Jesus bayonet charge" option available to everyone.

<All three hats fall off in a confusion of bouncing millinery>

All the best,

John.

Now Then.

(Yorkshire Greeting)

I can't even decribe myself as a newbie yet as I still await the arrival of CMBO. I'm certainly a vet on the Demo though! I must say that I prefer the idea of a random burst of fanaticism occasionally. Men behave can behave very oddly under the extreme stresses of combat, as many heroes are produced by terror as are cowards. The hardened S.S men in the Ardennes could not have anticipated how much trouble a terrified Pay Clark with a rifle could be until they bumped into a few!

To your duties fall out!

The hardened S.S men in the Ardennes could not have anticipated how much trouble a terrified Pay Clark with a rifle could be until they bumped into a few!
Hans, he said our paperverk will be processed in a few days' time, but until then ve vill have to vait.