when one thing leads to a total failure...

Hi all!

I'm playing a scenario against monty (my first one at all) and I placed a Stug IV to cover my flank... and I was right, a Stuart V appeared there... my Stug turned to point at his tank but he was to near and fast to turn fast enough. But at least my thick (80mm) front armor was there.. and then the stuart fired its 37mm gun... WEAK POINT front hull hit! Stug IV knocked out... the same time a panther moved back under the condition that my Stug will annihilate the Stuart and booom, side hull hit and the panther was dead too. What do you think gents? Lost both tanks only because a poor 37mm cannon hit the "weak point" of a Stug IV and the Stuart knocked out two superior tanks in the same turn...

as German general I would have to commit suicide now, right? wink.gif

Mika

You might chalk the Stug up to bad luck, but a Panther has good armor frontally, the sides and rear are relatively weak, at least weak enough for a Stuart to knock one out.

------------------

Don't shoot...let 'em burn! - from opening scene, SPR

Yeah, that's the beauty of CM. The whole thing can hinge on one event. Like at First Bull Run when the tide turned when a single Union unit mistook an advancing Confederate unit for one of it's own and held fire. If the Reb unit had been wearing grey instead of blue the Union likely would have won.

Of course this is little solace to the unlucky general. Suicide is the only answer smile.gif

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

About the Panthers weak side and rear armor...

The Stuart should never see the side of the Panther since it stood behind a house... and moved when the Stuart should be already dead.

Imagine your spy stole secret information and succeeded... but he has it just in his mind. And in the same moment he opens his mouth he has a heart attack and is dead.

Same here... my Stug already faced the much weaker Stuart and when it was may be one second to fire it was knocked out by a lucky shot. And the Panthers move was possible under the condition (and that was VERY likely) that the Stug kills the Stuart. That's what I meant... great game, yes... but why always me??????????? frown.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

Mika

I have learned playing this game:

1) Assume nothing. Just because a Stug 'should' kill a Stuart, doesn't mean it's gonna happen. Plans get messed up.

2) Have a backup plan, as in, 'in case things don't go well over there with my Stug, I will not expose the flank of my Panther until I am sure it is covered' I have learned this lesson the hard way too. If you waited and faced the Stuart with the Panther's armor facing it, you would be laughing as the Stuart's shells bounced off and broke up on the front armor, while your Panther brewed up the Stuart quite nicely. The only way to learn is from experience.

------------------

Don't shoot...let 'em burn! - from opening scene, SPR

Hi Mika !

Yeah, you had some bad luck wink.gif

And to make it worse, here is a screenie i made from the movie after the 2 kills.

Here you see the shot which kills the Stug :

cm0025.jpg

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Monty (edited 04-01-2001).]

Man this is just HALERIOUS! One hell of a Stuart huh! If it makes you feel any better LLv34_Mika, I read an account of a Stuart taking out a Panther from the front like your Stug. Yep, a Stuart at point blank range pumped a bunch of rounds into the front of a Panther and KOed it. I searched for that story to prove this but I couldn’t find it.

-Head

------------------

"I don't need my junkie friends all knockin' at my door. I just wanna do an old time waltz with a buxom Irish whore!"

-Shane MacGowan

concerning the spotter...

that coward was in panic since the 3rd turn I think. And never calmed down. If he wouldn't have been captured I would have shot him personally mad.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

But to everyone here... a sniper escaped... and he brought me the information I need (btw, he fled in panic and was shot after he told me everything) and I will strike back... Luck can decide a battle... but MIKAAAAAA will win the war!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! wink.gif

Mika

...still wondering how 37mm can penetrate over 80mm of GERMAN steel wink.gif

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Mika (edited 04-02-2001).]

It can be penetrated somewhere that there is NOT 80mm of sloped armor. For instance, a vision block, gunport, etc. There are weak points for everything. The round may have deflected off the bottom of the gun mantlet and into the thin top armor. In other words, there's a whole bunch of places a round can hit other than the most thickly armored places.

------------------

Give a man fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for a lifetime.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

The tank commander's pic is simply hilarious - looks like a very militant Hippie

Where did you get that Mod, Monty?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean the portrait down the bottom? if so, thats no mod - that ships with CM. When i first saw it I thought "Whooa, what a fro!", but then i realised it was not his hair, but his earmuff/earphone things... Anyone else think this??

I hate that pic so much I had to swap it with the canadian tank commander, just to take my brit tanks seriously. He looks like a photo of my dad playing bass in the 70s :D

Heck, for a fun experiment, take a dozen or so Stuarts and pit them against a Jagdtiger, Marder III, a Panther VG and a StuG IV in relatively open terrain (maybe a few trees, some brush). The Stuarts (depending on how you use them) will take out the German tanks better than half the time, particularly if you use a few of the Stuarts to keep the German's attention to the front while the others circle around to the side. Done this several times and, while the Stuarts usually take pretty nasty casualties, they also usually eliminate the enemy.

mrspkr2