Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Greetings, I need some help...

As of yesterday, 1400, I'm now a proud owner of CMBB. Various people at simHQ, and your own Cesspoolers made me do it - blame them, not me.

If I thought that the ILyushin-2 or EAW Croud is freaky, I have been proven wrong...this site definitly wins. Guess I fit right in, though.

HOWEVER...before I really can enjoy the unlimited fun of crushing the virtual russian peasants with my mighty Pussycats (or however that big tank is named, you tell me...) I need some technical help.

When I start up the game, all I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer. Tabing out to windows and back in then makes the menu visible. This happens also to the menus after the 3d-sequence. Now, I can still play that way, but it's annoying as hell.

I'm running this on an AMD 2000+ 512 RAM, Geforce 4 Ti 4400 with the 30.82 Drivers, under Windows 2K. If this is a known problem, please let me know about a fix. I did a search here on this board, but didn't find anything.

This is the unpatched european game version. I haven't yet been cruel enough to torture my cable modem with the 70 MB download, however in the patch readme my problem isn't mentioned anyway. I'm not sure if it would help anything.

Have a nice day, and tell Harv, Harpoon, Para_Bellum and the sorry rest of the Cesspool to report back at the simHQ some day. It's getting way to friendly there.

Yup, sounds like AA to me, but, you have got the GeForce drivers recommended by BTS....hmmm.

Hell, try this question on the Tech board, I'm sure a tech grog will be right along to give you some help. smile.gif

Welcome btw, but(glanceing nervously over his shoulder and speaking in a very low whisper), shhiish, here in the *world* we do our best not to talk about those people, we find it best, as they sometimes get out of that awfull cesspool and ....well, they're just best left where they are ;);)

KC

Which type of FSAA are you running? CM is a bit touchy about it, 4x does work with those drivers. I did have issues with 2x or quinquix.

Do not use the 4x.xx drivers if you like FSAA. CM does not like those.

Long live the Cess Patrol.

WWB

Well, if it isn't Red Swollen Colon(el). Salad! and all that stuff. Welcome aboard Sir, and watch out for a few of the grogs here that make the boys at SimHQ look like kindergarten kids.

Once you get that slow machine of yours working find a battle with the IL-2 in it...you'll see that the Patrol's flying skills have rubbed off on them too.

Or not.

Harv aka Cess-Hoover

Ps. If you're finding the AI too difficult at first, start a pbem game with Lorak. Trust me, it does wonders for the ego.

I have also the Geforce 4 Ti 4400 ( with 30.82 drivers )

Indeed, with FSAA 4x you will have no problems at all, but with FSAA 2x i have also the black screen problem.

FSAA 4x gives a better image and your GF 4 can handle it without problems anyway smile.gif

Goodluck and welcome btw

( I am also an EAW and IL-2 veteran, im EAF ( European Air Force ) Moose )

After CM had assimmilated me, i hardly fly nowadays lol, so be awared !

Monty aka Moose

Colonel, welcome to the board!

Since CMBB came out I didn't had much time refining my 'IL2-instant-crater'technique, causing death and despair among the enemy and my squadmates alike...

But with the release of FB things might change again...

IIRC your problem, as already stated by others, is caused by the AA option of certain NVIDIA drivers.

Look for a guy called Schrullenhaft on the tech forum, our local hardware/software guru and spiritual leader of the technically challenged.

[ December 14, 2002, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Yep, that was it. 4x works fine, Quincunx and 2x give me black screen.

Would be nice if that gets fixed along the way, because I prefer lower FSAA standard settings for other games - in CMBB it should be fast enough, though.

Looks like I waked up some of the old Cess-Poolians. Indeed the AI does kick my backside regulary, maybe I really should try Lorac for a change. If he's not busy support the infantry by creating instant-foxholes for them.

Harv... heartly sod off to you, too. Were did you guys leave the sheep and Yerpalal? (Not that there is much of a difference between these two?)

BTW, any quick hints for a little more combat efficency? My biggest problem is fighting tanks without any armored vehicles or PAKs on my disposal.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

...BTW, any quick hints for a little more combat efficency? My biggest problem is fighting tanks without any armored vehicles or PAKs on my disposal.

Hehe... Watch out for the soon-to-be released AAR of the titanic struggle between MasterGoodale and me, where my Panzergrenadiers, inspired by the brilliant tactics employed by their supreme commander, take on some russian tanks with grenade bundles and Panzerwurfminen...

;)

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Yep, that was it. 4x works fine, Quincunx and 2x give me black screen.

Would be nice if that gets fixed along the way, because I prefer lower FSAA standard settings for other games - in CMBB it should be fast enough, though.

Looks like I waked up some of the old Cess-Poolians. Indeed the AI does kick my backside regulary, maybe I really should try Lorac for a change. If he's not busy support the infantry by creating instant-foxholes for them.

Harv... heartly sod off to you, too. Were did you guys leave the sheep and Yerpalal? (Not that there is much of a difference between these two?)

BTW, any quick hints for a little more combat efficency? My biggest problem is fighting tanks without any armored vehicles or PAKs on my disposal.

Don't be getting any fancy ideas lad, THIS is the home of the ORIGINAL CessPool and don't you forget it. You may be a member of Cess Patrol but that will just barely get you in the door in the REAL CessPool. No favors, lad, you'll be an SSN and no error. Still, if you've played with Harv and YerPalAl ... you're the sort of lowlife that might, MIGHT fit in.

In addition, Lawyer and I were the first two members of the Cess-Patrol and you should be showing proper respect donchaknow. Finally, stay away from Harv ... oh ... but you knew that already didn't you.

Joe

Hehe... Watch out for the soon-to-be released AAR of the titanic struggle between MasterGoodale and me, where my Panzergrenadiers, inspired by the brilliant tactics employed by their supreme commander, take on some russian tanks with grenade bundles and Panzerwurfminen...

Hey ParaBellum, don't forget the bad attitudes as well!

:D