Sherman rams King Tiger: Driver's Obituary

The Sherman crashed through a thin hedge and careered down the slope at 40 mph towards the King Tiger. With 75 yards to go before impact, the Sherman's gunner, Guardsman Scholes, fired a high-explosive shell at the King Tiger. Although it did not penetrate the armour, he felt that it would give the Germans something to worry about.

The British tank slid down beside the long barrel and struck the King Tiger hard at the rear of its right track. With the Sherman's turret only a few inches from the 88 mm weapon, Gorman's crew were like birds sitting on a sportsman's gun. On impact, both crews baled out and went in opposite directions - except one man, Guardsman Agnew, the front gunner, who, finding his exit blocked and having to scramble back to the turret, was the last out of the tank.

BFC please make patch 1.13 for CM:BO of sumfink....

smile.gif

I had a friend that recently passed that drove a Sherman into a German tank and flipped it over. The tank was up atop a hill near by and he charged it with his Shermie. All the other troops and AFVs were falling back at that time because the Germans had broke the American's morale with a suprise flank. Anyway, his surprise counterattack scared the Germans and they begain to fall back themselves! After the battle, his commander came up to him and said: "Damn it! I wish I had three hundred of you! The war would be over in a month!"

In another interesting story, he told me of how he was driving (with the tank fully unbuttoned) once and switched seats with one of the other crewmen because they were getting bored after a few hours on the road. Five mins later, with the other person now doing the driving, he sat enjoying his break when all of the sudden the Germans begain shelling the convoy. One of the first rounds dropped right into the driver's seat (killing his friend) and brewing up the tank. He and the rest of the crew bailed without any injuries. He said it was the nearist he ever came to death durring the war.

[ September 13, 2002, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Nice to see that Guardsman Agnew remembered his manners.

As Agnew dropped to the ground, he saw four men running for a ditch and promptly joined them. They were the German crew. After an exchange of cold stares, being a punctilious sort of man, he saluted smartly and disappeared into a cornfield to rejoin his comrades.