On The Job Training

On The Job Training v1.9.2

Date: 9/20/44 (5/19/02)

Length: 45 turns

Side: American (Airborne) British (Armor) vs German (SS & Heer )

Size: Multiple Battalion-level

(with large armor attachments)

Battle: Semi-Historical Allied Attack

Weather: Clear & Damp

Author: Tom the "Big Dog" Oliver

CM: v 1.12

Best Played: as PBEM or US vs AI

(Note Assault boats Involved No Axis vs AI Play)

Overview

Allied

Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery has set forth the most daring airborne operation of the war. Operation Market Garden is to open the door into Germany, by capturing a crossing over the Lower Rhine River at Arnhem Holland. The Rhine is about 40 miles north of the Germans MLR along the Holland-Belgium border.

The 4 main Allied forces are: The British 1st Airborne Div. to be dropped in Arnhem and to capture the main bridge across the Rhine. The American 82nd Airborne Div. to be dropped south of Nijmegen and are to capture the crossings across the Maas River & the Waal River. The 101st Airborne Div. to be dropped north of Eindhoven and are to capture the crossings across the Wilhelmina & Willems canals. The key element to make the battle plan succeed was the XXX Corps which was the main armor force driving up from the Holland-Belgium border along the corridor opened by the US airborne Div. If the plan succeeds the war will be over by Christmas.

German

September the Germans are licking the wounds incurred at their defeat in Normandy & finally at the Falaise pocket. Antwerp has been lost but the approaches are still in control of the Germans, The Allies still have to land their supplies at Normandy. The allied 3 prong front has out run its supply lines, the much needed breathing room is the order of the day for the Germans.

The 2nd SS Panzer Corp commanded by Obergrubbenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich is refitting in and around the Arnhem. With most of its equipment lost in France, some new equipment has come from Germany but the force is nowhere near full fighting strength. The rest would be short, on September 17 the 1st British Airborne Div drops almost on top of the 2nd SS Panzer Corp HQ, Operation Market Garden has begun!

The Battle September 20th

Time is running out for the Red Devils in Arnhem, they are taking heavy losses and the Germans have taken the control of the battle in Arnhem. XXX Corps has bogged down in its advance, and had to fight a running battle on its flanks for much of its advance. The 82nd Airborne has secured a crossing over Maas River. Now its time to secure a cross of the Waal River before the Germans destroy the 2 bridges at Nijmegen.

A daring plan was called for, with little time left 82nd was called to do something it had never trained for. When Colonel Tucker the cigar chewing commander of 504th, was asked by Major Edward Tyler of the Irish Guards if his men in 3rd Battalion had trained for this type of operation his reply was " No" Tucker replied "They're getting on-the-job training". The battle to follow was one of the most intense battles in the war.

Designer's Notes:

This is a huge map, with a large force it will most likely tax slower systems. If playing PBEM some files may reach into the + 2meg zone, so band-width would be helpful. If playing against AI play as Allied vs AI.

The map distances have been reduced for game play. Total points are approximately 12000 for Attacker, 8000 for Defender. Forces have been modified for gameplay & balance.

If you're like me preferring larger battles with lots of options to achieve victory, I think you will enjoy this scenario.

Please let me know what you think of Big Dogs On The Job Training We appreciate all comments, or suggestion for improvement.

toliver2@attbi.com

I would like to thank the Big Dog testing team. Without their help & input I could not have made this a balanced scenario.

Michael "Brian Boru" Keating

Richard Ayliffe

Thomas "CombinedArms" Travisano

Michael Cooper

Reference

A Bridge To Far

Cornelius Ryan

1974 Touchstone Press

Arnhem 1944 (Campaign Series 24)

Stephen Badsey

1993 Osprey

Strike and Hold

T. Moffatt Burriss

2000 Brassey's

Historical Maps of WWII Europe

Michael Swift & Michael Sharpe

2000 PRC

Steel Rain

Tim Ripley

2001 MBI

[ July 15, 2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Bigdog ]

I know Stoffel ;) I debated whether or not to use Holland, but most text & maps refers to Holland & not The Netherlands, I meant no disrespect. Hey I though about asking you to take look of my work to see if I captured the feel of your homeland. I would be honored by your feed back? Let me know and I will send a copy to you. Keith has not linked it at the Depot yet.

[ July 15, 2002, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Bigdog ]

No bad feelings smile.gif

Sometimes its irritating,like calling the US,Texas tongue.gif

Please send me the file,I will have a look at it.

One hour before I go to bed smile.gif

some time ago someone posted some pictures here on the forum for the Nijmegen/Arnhem area.

If you do a search on every city you can get the website of that city,most are in English available too and have pictures of the town.

Originally posted by Bigdog:

On The Job Training is now available at the Depot

Hey, guys! I playtested this one (extensively! --Bigdog works himself and his testers really hard), and it's a really good one. Excellent map, strong on history, and full of intense fighting and extreme tactical challenges for both sides. It would be good as the Aliies vs. the AI, or even better PBEM.

Go get it at the Depot. Now!

OJT

Finished it late last night with a German surrender with a turn to go....phew

Thoroughly enjoyed it as it was all happening on many fronts throughout the attack. Carnage across the river but those who survived came in v.useful going the long way round!. Was the lack of TRPs deliberate?

Lots going on and chaotic (esp nearer the end) at times to allow some good luck (and bad) to have some effect on the best of intentioned plans

Top battle

Originally posted by Wicky:

OJT

Finished it late last night with a German surrender with a turn to go....phew

Thoroughly enjoyed it as it was all happening on many fronts throughout the attack. Carnage across the river but those who survived came in v.useful going the long way round!. Was the lack of TRPs deliberate?

Lots going on and chaotic (esp nearer the end) at times to allow some good luck (and bad) to have some effect on the best of intentioned plans

Top battle

Great Job Wicky! Its no walk over that’s for sure ;) I assume this is vs. AI? If it’s was, would you mind doing me a favor & e-mail me a little AAR (I don’t to post spoilers here ;) ) on you’re crossing. There has been some concern that the Defender is a little strong vs. AI, vs. PBEM I think balance is pretty darn good. If I get more player response I may dumb down an AI version but need some more input.

As far as TRP in early versions the Germans had TRPs & I deleted them I never thought to give the attacker some hmmm, I can see 4 being vary useful. But to be honest with I am taped out on my Allied force :D

Oh yes the most important thing Wicky could you please review it at the Depot!

[ July 21, 2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Bigdog ]

BigDog,

Done a flow of recollections of the 'Jobby' on the depot - feel free to edit if i've blabbed to much. Yup, I played Allied vs AI no added advantage to either side.

Saw the post from the unhappy gent - I feel he must have walked to confidently into the well interlocking German defences as taking it apart took some planning, guesswork and a couple of lucky observations. Everything is generously provided in the 'toolkit' to take it apart, sometimes too much so i.e all the brit tanks (the joy of organizing the dash up to near the frontline - then when they get there I realise what's the rush as the US foot troops have still to clearaway through - Left most of the English tankers having a cuppa). There are more than plenty of quality US Shermans to oversea the advance - the ones placed in town and redeployed riverside ones add up to a formidable force. I don't normally enjoy pure urban scraps but the huge map gives a top context to what seems like 3 different battles in one.

I thought maybe allied TRPs would allow smoke to be rapidly put down so allowing a crossing of the forces without the 'reinforcement' 2 wave) but then I found boats setting of later were still in the open from up river despite smoke rounds covering the banks - ideally a more localised foggy smoke would would give cover across the river - but that's a new game engine. Nah, leave the initial carnage as is - things get just better (but not always...)

Great AAR Wicky Thanks! :D I love the brewing tea comment, I've heard that said in some of my research, more than once smile.gif It sounds like you played it perfectly I am glad you enjoyed it :D

[ July 21, 2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Bigdog ]

Of course the U.S. is pretty much just Texas. Texas IS the biggest state you know.

-marc

Austin, Texas

p.s. don't give me any guff about some frozen wasteland being bigger. Anything buried under ice all year doesn't count.

Finally finished playing.

I had a very close draw :(

the germans managed to take out a lot of my armor,every time I thought I had cleared pockets of resistance another schreck showed up!

Crossing the bridge caused a lot of havoc among my last tanks.

A bunch of guns grouped together on the right of that bloody bridge,fortunate I had my FO targeting the area close by,so they got KO fast.

Poor bloody infantry was to fight on without any meaningfull support,thats why the draw

Originally posted by Stoffel:

Finally finished playing.

I had a very close draw :(

the germans managed to take out a lot of my armor,every time I thought I had cleared pockets of resistance another schreck showed up!

Crossing the bridge caused a lot of havoc among my last tanks.

A bunch of guns grouped together on the right of that bloody bridge,fortunate I had my FO targeting the area close by,so they got KO fast.

Poor bloody infantry was to fight on without any meaningfull support,thats why the draw

But did you like it? :confused: