Low Kills from 81mm ??

Can anyone explain how an 81 mm mortar spotter can fire about 130 rounds in a game and score just one infantry casualty ??

Almost all the firing was done into the middle of enemy - some hidden, some visible in Rough terrain. The shells sure caused a lot of running around by the enemy, but only one got killed.

A similar situation with my 105mm - he got just 8 casualties firing onto "Good" targets.

Foamy,

I think that may be "known" casualties under the limitations of FOW. The 81mm doesn't normally inflict much damage but it does a nice job of disrupting an attack or supression. Mortars tend to inflict far more casualties when targets are in wooded areas. That's what they call treeburst.

81 mm spotters are not nearly as effective as 105 mm or larger spotters. 81s sort of pin pricks the enemy infantry to disruption, but they really don't destroy enemy infantry. 105s & larger really rips the heart out of infantry.

Every time that I get an 81 spotter in a computer troop pick QB, I just figure that I am going to severely tickle the enemy's infantry. When I get a 105 or larger spotter, I figure that I can destroy a sizeable portion of the enemy infantry.

Cheers, Richard smile.gif

And large-caliber VT arty wreaks absolute havoc on infantry in the open :eek:. But even 81mm often deserves credit for an assist -- if it causes already suppressed troops to break, run, and get mowed down, it helped. It's also OK for tormenting guns, if gun owner doesn't move it ASAP.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The British 4.2 inch mortar is cheap and just

plain deadly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said....I prefer them too...even considering the lower ammo supply compared to the 81mm...

Ever used 3-4 of them on one target ???

CMBO AI has something against FO's.

(1) it doesnt give em much credit for kills.I once killed (I think) a company's worth of infantry with 240mm's, the FO only got credited for 8 casualties.

Then on a test range, my 14" FO's brought down the wrath of the gods and only got credit for a few casualties, even tough the area's littered with dead infantry and AFV's + several bunkers

(2) havent you noticed FO's get a lot of attention from the AI once found?

ok,ok I know, corny

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by l3w53r:

CMBO AI has something against FO's.

(1) it doesnt give em much credit for kills.I once killed (I think) a company's worth of infantry with 240mm's, the FO only got credited for 8 casualties.

Then on a test range, my 14" FO's brought down the wrath of the gods and only got credit for a few casualties, even tough the area's littered with dead infantry and AFV's + several bunkers

(2) havent you noticed FO's get a lot of attention from the AI once found?

ok,ok I know, corny<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To get credit the exact composition of the enemy unit must be known. eg Brit rifle squad with 10 OK men. If the mortar round lands and one man is KO then the FO gets one man to his name. Any damage to say an infantry squad? is ignored as they can not tell the compostion of the squad to say yes we got that one. Note that you can also KO vehicles that are unspotted and also get no credit for them.

Edited cos its late and I'm sleepy

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]