Immobilized tanks cannot turn?

Originally posted by Holien:

I Have only played the demo a couple of times and I was wondering those who have the game do you see more of the above.

I.e. Immobile and then a bail?

I know some crews did and some stayed but in CMBO it seemed like all crews stayed and I would like to see crews bail after the vehicle becomes immobile.

Any views on this? Evidence in the game?

H

Seems some crews stay, some bail. Ploinking some metal off the immobilized vehicle seems to help those inside rethink their drink.

It was proboably already said, but I dont think that immobilization just means that one track is destroyed. Immobilization in CMBB covers many possibilities. Anywhere from being stuck in deep mud, a thrown track, or even a destroyed engine! So, unless they specified which type of immobilization it was, we are just stuck with the general defintion of 'cant move'.

Chad

I remember back in the good-old CMBO patch days there was a bit of a stink over Tigers bailing too quickly after an immobilization. Why not stay buttoned and lend a hand as far as you LOS permits? The game was patched to keep (I believe) veteran and above crews in the tank longer.

My impression with CMBB is how long a crew will stay in an immobile tank depends on: experience of the tank crew, armor protection, the level of threat to the immobile vehicle. A veteran Tiger crew shouldn't bail at the sight of distand infantry. A green PzIIIcrew shouldn't stay to the bitter end when faced with an ISU-122.

Originally posted by Pak40:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Ok, not all immobilization are one-track-out.

But maybe 75% are (all AP hits on tracks for example, even if they also destroy a pair of wheels)... So why not allow those tanks a slow and somewhat random rotation ?

Random rotation? Honestly that's just plain silly. If your left track is damaged, then you will not be able to turn right at all. There's nothing random about it. You should be only able to turn left at a slow and awkward rate.</font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

When I was serving in the Finnish Army (ooh boy, here we go again...) as an AT man, I was told by an officer that when a tank looses a track, it still can move forwards and backwards, but cannot turn. :confused: Go figure.

That might a contributing reason why the Finnish Army is no longer the world-domineering powerhouse of yesteryear. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mobear:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

When I was serving in the Finnish Army (ooh boy, here we go again...) as an AT man, I was told by an officer that when a tank looses a track, it still can move forwards and backwards, but cannot turn. :confused: Go figure.

That might a contributing reason why the Finnish Army is no longer the world-domineering powerhouse of yesteryear. :rolleyes: </font>

Whether the vehicle turns or not depends on whether the track is still intact (i.e. joined) or not.

If the vehicle has broken a track (due to fire, or really really bad ground appreciation by the driver or for servicing) then it will only travel forward or backward. The roadwheels in contact with the ground on the side without a track just roll forward or back.

If the vehicle has lost drive to one side (lets say the left) but the track is still unbroken, then the vehicle will turn left or right depending on whether the right track is going forward or back.

[ October 10, 2002, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Whether the vehicle turns or not depends on whether the track is still intact (i.e. joined) or not.

If the vehicle has broken a track (due to fire, or really really bad ground appreciation by the driver or for servicing) then it will only travel forward or backward. The roadwheels in contact with the ground in the side without a track just roll forward or back.

If the vehicle has lost drive to one side (lets say the left) but the track is still unbroken, then the vehicle will turn left or right depending on whether the right track is going forward or back.

Hello Mark

The above covers it in a nutshell. My experience has been mainly with the "really,really bad ground appreciation" type of mishap

;)

Thanks for comments, I knew I could trust in Australia fair. So, it is more than just getting stuck, even more than just becoming immobile or being able to rotate.

Maybe CM should also model the cases of a tank losing its breaks and accelerator stucking to maximum? I am quite sure that something like that could happen with the kind of tanks the Soviets had, and think what it could do with an inexperienced driver... hmm, that actually explains the Soviet ramming tactics!!

Originally posted by Pak40:

Random rotation? Honestly that's just plain silly. If your left track is damaged, then you will not be able to turn right at all. There's nothing random about it. You should be only able to turn left at a slow and awkward rate.

Silly? What if you put the right track in reverse? That would seem to allow the hull to rotate to the right...

I think it's reasonable to model different types of immobilization and restrict movement based on some random factors.

I'll take Madmatt at his word and wait for the engine rewrite, but it seems realistic. If I loose a left track (battle damage or otherwise), it seems reasonable that I could continue to rotate the hull (left or right) at some restricted rate depending on vehicle, terrain, experience, etc. It also seems reasonable that I also increase the risk of damage to the right track because of the additional burden.

Were I a tank commander and the situation called for it, I would weigh the possibility of further damage to my vehicle's other track against the need to try and rotate. If I can rotate and possibly help a comrade or my own butt, screw the drive train! Pivot right, dammit!

Originally posted by TwoSheds:

an AP or HE round does not come in with a wrench and remove exactly one tread leaving the tank in otherwise 100% perfect condition.

You don't know that for sure. In fact, on a certain tournament ladder, there is an individual who goes by the name of Wile E. Coyote who would beg to differ.