The Newbie Tournaments II

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

More results from the GV Newbies:

Hawk (German) defeated Dfgardner (French) by a score of 68-32 in Mighty Mouse.

So, Hawk wins Round 1 with an overall score of 143-57 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to Hawk!<hr></blockquote>

I'll second the congrats to Hawk.

Hawk established a well coordinated reverse slope defense, forcing me to go on the offensive (due to loss in initial game).

Hawk's troops delivered several well aimed first shot kills which stopped me in my tracks. The last 3-4 turns featured at least 1 vehicle from each side being destroyed.

Congrats again to Hawk.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dfgardner:

Hawk established a well coordinated reverse slope defense, forcing me to go on the offensive (due to loss in initial game).

<hr></blockquote>

Smart move for your opponent. If I had established a good lead on Lord Dragon in the first battle, I would have forced him over to the offensive in Mighty Mouse as well. Attrition is usually worse for the attacker.

I'll second the congrats to Hawk.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks! Winning the first battle gave me the luxury of taking a defensive position in Mighty Mouse. During the first two rounds of combat I got lucky and KO'ed 4 french vehicles while losing only 1 of my own. This gave me an edge which lasted the rest of the game. Things could quite easily have gone the other way, so my winning was much based on the roll of the die.

Thank you Donald, for a fun and exciting game! smile.gif

SuperTed vs Vader's Jester update:

Ted has started to put the hurt on me. He continues to advance with total disreguard for the good health of my forces. My men keep asking his troops to stay on their side of the yard and play nice, but like Ted himself, they care little of what people ask of them. :D

I still have a lot of suprises for him though. ;)

I would like to nominate one of Von Vinga's men for the "Most Valuable Player" award. In the space of about 40 seconds, 1 bazooka team took out 3 armored cars with 3 shots! And scared the last one right into a 50 cal MG!!

But hey, who needs armored cars anyway, right?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by White4:

I would like to nominate one of Von Vinga's men for the "Most Valuable Player" award. In the space of about 40 seconds, 1 bazooka team took out 3 armored cars with 3 shots! And scared the last one right into a 50 cal MG!!

But hey, who needs armored cars anyway, right?<hr></blockquote>

W4,

Yikes! :eek:

More results from the SuperNewbies:

Humus B. Chittenbee (French, 51) and DL (German, 49) played to a draw in Mighty Mouse. This was not enough for Humus B. Chittenbee to oertake DL's lead from the first leg of Round 1.

So, DL wins Round 1 with an overall score of 112-88 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to DL!

CRACK! (my knuckles)

Presently Pfc Dunsel and I are in the midst of turn 7 with not a shot fired. Intelligence is at a premium so "Loose Lips Sink Ships".

However I do not believe that is the case of BM'sB.

Nevertheless I'll be somewhat cryptic.

So here is my AAR for the Poles:

I am here to admit that I am a... oh sorry I thought this was AA for a moment.

First orders were to get everyone to rally somewhere in the middle of the map- maybe 100 metres short of centre-- rest up, then move off up my right flank. I was assuming a parity of forces and I figured if Pfc Dunsel also did this we were basically at square one again-- and if I moved right we would nick each other at most. If he didn't rally- the advantage was mine because I should be able to take him piecemeal.

Admittedly a skilled execution was required and more infantry skill then I was fully able to deliver.

The first 8 moves had the troops confidence in their leader shaken -- about 18 men were shot with friendly fire and several taken out by sharpy plus 1 sharpy of mine was dead (they didn't blame me for that but I did!).

I had identified one platoon off to my right (with the dead sharpy) of unknown type so I knew he hadn't rallied. However due to Pfc Dunsel's most excellent sharp shooter (who survived blast him!) he had identified 2 platoons and probably suspected more. This was all by the end of the 2nd turn.

By Turn 3 end my final platoon arrived-- quite tired-- and so did a squad of Pfc Dunsel's at about 10 o'clock! I'm gonna have to fight here!

With Dunsel's platoon showing up I was constrained in spreading out and set up a very clumsy trap which sprung well short and by end of turn 4 Pfc Dunsel's 1/2 squad (it turned out) was hidden and I was very frustrated.

I had the wisdom to begin bringing my left flank sharpy over -as it turned out - to in behind his 1/2 squad and also identified a squad moving down past my left flank to (I assumed) swing in.

So that was something.

Turn 5

I knew I had to hit hard -NOW!- and not stop till the whole platoon was gone. I had the power.

So I made the most educational move of my (albeit short) career with CM and promptly swallowed that 1/2 squad at a cost of 15 men! Stupid oh stupid me!

But the light went on and the game suddenly opened up for me.(THANK YOU TED!)

If I was going to lose it was going to be with a SPLASH!

During this turn most of the rest of Pfc Dunsel's platoon moved in from the right and left.

I am guessing that it was here that Pfc Dunsel got a taste of off battle grazing fire (it was brutal thoughout our fracas and probably accounts for 1/2 the causalties-- (those bullets spun a long ways!))-- as his PHQ showed up dead and I never saw him live.

It was here also that I sent my left flank sharpy back where he came from to spot for what I thought would be fast moving troops coming to the rescue.

I didn't let him sneak.

Turn 6&7!

It was here finally, that I had positive ID on troop type and this knowledge freed me up quite a bit.

I had prepared for the arrival of the squad on my left flank (and I guess they didn't like what they were tasting because they left) but the rest of the platoon came in around 1:00 and I was set up for a 3:00 arrival--waiting for Dunsel's other platoon that had killed my right flank sharpy. So they were in good shape (it seemed to me) and it was my policy to kill everyone! So I hit him hard.

I thought I had a bit of time on my left flank (for the arrival of his support) so I sent a platoon chasing the shy guys on my left and brought my 3:00 due north into the side of his other position and it completely disappeared. Somewhere at the end of this turn Pfc Dunsel's left flank platoon arrived and tagged my right flank (now out of position) and tagged it even heavier in turn 7.

Meanwhile on the left my sharpy ran right into Dunsel's support platoon hiding in the woods. I am assuming that they had just arrived 5 sec's before me. Anyways, what with my left flank chasing the shy guys and my sharpy due north Pfc Dunsel's whole right flank lite up like a neon blub and it was a heartening sight! The cost for this information was my sharpy and a full squad of reg's for maybe 5 dead.

Turn 8 thru 10

I loved these moves. I really didn't know if it was going to work or if I'd win or lose but I loved these moves. THANK YOU TED!

The secret weapon in this scenario is the forward retreat! Never seen it before and probably never see it again so read 'em and weep. It means you can attack instantly!

My position sat with my left flank engaged with one platoon and my right engaged with the another platoon and the bulk of my forces sitting in the middle with an all clear up the middle.

Now you would think that last remaining squad of Pfc Dunsel's first platoon would be a somewhat quailed being. Not a bit --promptly put one squad in a premanent panic (Sgt. Polak) and fought bravely to the last man. So this left flank attack cost me 2 squads for 1! Altho Sgt Polak made it home with 1/2 his men. No matter, here's another one-- and it began engaging with Dunsel's 2nd platoon at great cost.

My right flank I put into a withdraw to 12:00 which cost 10 causalties all other remaining able bodies ran 12:00 then turn in at 9:00 forming a front line behind Pfc Dunsel's second platoon and with the exit (finally) safely at our back. I had Pfc Dunsels 2nd platoon squeezed between the remains of my left flank and the newly formed front line now behind him.

The next turns would be GO moves (chinese chess).

Pfc Dunsel's 3rd platoon in hot pursuit into the rear of my left flank and me pushing them forward to kill the second platoon and form up on my front line and turn to face the final tired but fighting fresh platoon cutting into their backs. My command stucture was in tatters, one PHQ gone - 1 with 2 - 2 with 1 remaining -and 2 hits to my CHQ!

All the other turns:

I managed to form up my lines and all that remained of Pfc Dunsel's 2nd platoon was 1 man ( I don't know how he survived).

Both he and I were exhausted and with the added twist of his CHQ turning up behind me causing all kinds of mayhem! I think he was pretty scared too!

And he got away but then so did I.

Thank you Pfc Dunsel for a great game and I will say it again:

The computer gods were smiling upon me. I owe it all to them.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Splash ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

...THANK YOU TED...

<hr></blockquote>

You're welcome. :D

...THANK YOU TED...

<hr></blockquote>

You're welcome. :D

...The secret weapon in this scenario is the forward retreat! Never seen it before and probably never see it again so read 'em and weep. It means you can attack instantly...

<hr></blockquote>

That's not as foolproof as you might think. Using the "Withdraw" command comes at a heavy price. The units are at a MUCH greater risk of breaking.

More results from the SuperNewbies:

Witko (German) defeated Toran29 (French) by a score of 65-35 in Mighty Mouse. This was enough for Witko to overtake Toran29's lead from the first leg of Round 1!

So, Witko wins Round 1 with an overall score of 108-91 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to Witko!

That's not as foolproof as you might think. Using the "Withdraw" command comes at a heavy price. The units are at a MUCH greater risk of breaking.<hr></blockquote>

Not only that, it killed some men when I wasn't able to withdraw them out of a forward position they had been left alone in. I was rather surprised and upset that the withdraw command was backward. That 5-10 seconds was enough time for the rest of his plt to come up and suppress my squad enough to prevent them from moving. Scratch one squad. (Actually 2 men survived, but they were broken to the end and therefor unable to get off the map.) :mad:

A Reject bout interrupted - - My match with Vitalis is on hold as my mail server is down for refurbishment. I don't know when these guys are going to get their faecies lined up. Should have been by now.

SuperTed, kindly inform Vitalis in case he misses this posting. I will send him an email as soon as I find the system up.

Bobbaro

Thanks a bunch there Ted, the elves in the system are now on track and I have recieved Vitalis' turn.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Bobbaro ]</p>

Your welcome Ted.

That's not as foolproof as you might think. Using the "Withdraw" command comes at a heavy price. The units are at a MUCH greater risk of breaking.<hr></blockquote>

Yah perhaps I overstated it a lot but as newlife pointed out - NOT noticing it until you wanted to use it had serious consequences.

As a disengagment weapon going forward into safety it was very effective and I was able to throw these squads back into the fray on the next turn -- they remained in command range at all times (broadly speaking).

I did notice that on turn 1 (I used it to get my Reg's moving immediately) they started in an alerted state but that didn't last.

I would imagine it would've been different if they ran smack into enemy fire. smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bobbaro:

A Reject bout interrupted - - My match with Vitalis is on hold as my mail server is down for refurbishment. I don't know when these guys are going to get their faecies lined up. Should have been by now.

SuperTed, kindly inform Vitalis in case he misses this posting. I will send him an email as soon as I find the system up.

Bobbaro<hr></blockquote>

Bobbaro,

I'm on it!

Your welcome Ted.

Yah perhaps I overstated it a lot but as newlife pointed out - NOT noticing it until you wanted to use it had serious consequences.

As a disengagment weapon going forward into safety it was very effective and I was able to throw these squads back into the fray on the next turn -- they remained in command range at all times (broadly speaking).

I did notice that on turn 1 (I used it to get my Reg's moving immediately) they started in an alerted state but that didn't last.

I would imagine it would've been different if they ran smack into enemy fire. smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Splash,

Yup, that would have been ugly! :eek:

A quick update on the Harrison (G)-Walker (F) match: going into turn 15 first contact has been made. Losses, if any, are negligible. The German forces are waiting, cleverly sited, somewhere behind the heights about 2/3 down the map. The French commander is on the verge of an effondrement nerveux. Mon dieu! How can he order his men to attack? They will be slaughtered!

To be continued...

Chris Walker

Ted,

Any way you could publish the results to date by side, ie, Allies won X and Germans won Y of scenarios to date?

Just thought it might make an interesting topic of discussion. :eek: :D <hr></blockquote>

Could that possibly be can of worms, Ted?

Chris Walker

Ted,

Any way you could publish the results to date by side, ie, Allies won X and Germans won Y of scenarios to date?

Just thought it might make an interesting topic of discussion. :eek: :D <hr></blockquote>

DFG,

I plan to do that after everybody has finished the scenarios in question.