Wirblewind - game turner?

Just wondering if anyone else has had great success stories about this little beauty.

Recently i had one hidden for a few turns on a flank to see what the yanks would do here, and lo and behold HT's and infantry come plowing forward....

well, a couple turns later, the wirblewind is now chargin forward cleaning out AT guns and howitzers after polishing off 4 HT's and around 20 infantry casualties (he hadda bit of help)

but yeah, i charged him forward cos the crew were obviously onna roll and sure enough they carried on their good work in my opponants setup zone against his guns, i counted 5 shots from his main gun at a AT gun in a wheat field 850 yards away over 16 seconds setting the field on fire and routing the crew, i was stunned! (ok, granted, his missed those 5 shots, but what the hell!) :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripps:

oh, you was it :D

i especially liked the 150mm field gun taking out that HT with a full unit innit from 30 yards, man, that was a big explosion and lots of bodies flying everywhere smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! That must've hurted!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripps:

Just wondering if anyone else has had great success stories about this little beauty.

Recently i had one hidden for a few turns on a flank to see what the yanks would do here, and lo and behold HT's and infantry come plowing forward....

well, a couple turns later, the wirblewind is now chargin forward cleaning out AT guns and howitzers after polishing off 4 HT's and around 20 infantry casualties (he hadda bit of help)

but yeah, i charged him forward cos the crew were obviously onna roll and sure enough they carried on their good work in my opponants setup zone against his guns, i counted 5 shots from his main gun at a AT gun in a wheat field 850 yards away over 16 seconds setting the field on fire and routing the crew, i was stunned! (ok, granted, his missed those 5 shots, but what the hell!) :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in experiements that i have used, it can easily KO buildings, has a TON of ammo, can KO almost all tanks from a flank shot, disable tanks main gun, and tears infantry apart! i would buy them more, but i know there are a LOT of people who consider then "gamey". and so if you win with the great little guy, they may think that the only reason you won if because of your gamey asset. i dont mind them, but ive had them and recieved complaints! just so you know

They aren't gamey like the flak truck in that they are modeled to take damage correctly, etc. Some poeple think more than 3 vehicles of any kind is gamey, so if you have one or two, I really don't think they have a valid complaint. They sure can stop a TD rush in a hurry!

well shoot then, ill add them to my list! for 105 pts, the wirbelwind is unbeatable in its role. arnt they able to destroy building faster than they should be able to? i dont have a problem with them, i love to use them! i just had others complain, but this seems to be just another one of those "you need a transport for your gun" things! thanks for setting me straight boys smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

It will also weaken an opponent's cry of "gamey" if you use them as they were historically deployed - with groups of panzers or other valuable vehicles from mobile divisions (infantry divs mostly used towed AA).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

esp considering 44-45 on the western front the Germans used them (and other flak) a lot as they had bugger all fighter cover, as far as i'm concerned, if you have armour at all, you can take em.

and come someone tell me if there is/was a thread based solely on 'what is gamey', search for gamey just hangs for me

After checking 3 different sources, the total production of wirblewind and ostwind (37mm version)..less than 200 (one source stated that less than 100 of both types were produced). IE: rarer than hen's teeth...gamey..no doubt...Jagdtigers or elefants anyone?

Why's that? Someone had to use the 200, why not the folks here? I've only ever used them once myself, and that was in an all armor match where the fella I was playing was known for TD rushes. So I had two as flank guards. He didn't seem to find them to gamey. It isn't like they were going to knock out his Sherman Jumbos or anything. I suppose my other option was to watch him run rings around my slow turreted Axis tanks, which would have been reduced to burning hulks. Yea, that would have been a good plan.

Like I said, flak trucks are modeled poorly, so I never use them. But these other weapons in the gamey threads can all be destroyed, so I just don't see the problem. Just chant to yourself, "It's only a game, it's only a game, chicks WON'T dig me if I win."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GenSplatton:

"It's only a game, it's only a game, chicks WON'T dig me if I win."[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn :( i thought with an awesome sound system females would appeal to the quad 20mm going off ;)

but yeah, your right, someone had to use em, else they wouldnt be there, and it aint gamey, rare, for sure, thats why i've ever 'rarely' used them, but it isnt abusing some flaw in the game, and besides, if it was perfectly historical all the time, why would anyone be the axis, they lost! smile.gif

but anyhoo, i started this thread to hear about how good they were, not how many were made, i can read a book for that...

never used the ostwind, as good as a wirblewind?

i agree that they had to be used some where...but on another thread...i brought up the fact that i fellow had over 1% of the total production of an entire vehicle run in his game...and it was a consensus that if the 'label' ever applied, it was there. Am i right chad? (18 M8 GMC)

Certainly one in a game is fine. but anything more than 2 perhaps would be asking for the 'label'. But on the other hand, anyone who allows an underarmored moblie AA piece to be the game turner, well then he/she deserves it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patton_71:

i agree that they had to be used some where...but on another thread...i brought up the fact that i fellow had over 1% of the total production of an entire vehicle run in his game...and it was a consensus that if the 'label' ever applied, it was there. Am i right chad? (18 M8 GMC)

Certainly one in a game is fine. but anything more than 2 perhaps would be asking for the 'label'. But on the other hand, anyone who allows an underarmored moblie AA piece to be the game turner, well then he/she deserves it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, i hear ya, and i read that other thread too on the M8's, and i can also see why the labels do get applied, i always make every battle a 'once off', so to speak, so if i met that fella and 18 M8's i would be thinkin 'bloody hell, i'm up against a M8 factory here!' smile.gif

but come on, interesting and informative production notes aside, any stories on how effective they are?? surely you've used/played against them?

I like the Ostwind, but I've only used it a couple of times. What really stands out about both vehicles is their rapid fire capability. You can pump two or three bursts into an enemy vehicle while they're turning to engage you. The Ostwind is guaranteed to take out any allied light armor, and have a good chance of damaging some of the intermediate stuff (like M5 lights and M8 HMCs). It's also a wonderful infantry stopper, and is second only to a HMG pillbox in its ability to stop an infantry rush - which is probably why they get abused and thrown into the gamey category. :rolleyes:

For fun, I put 1000 points of Ostwinds up against 2000 points of halftracks on good tank country. Every single HT was dead by the end of turn 1. :D

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: redeker ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patton_71:

i agree that they had to be used some where...but on another thread...i brought up the fact that i fellow had over 1% of the total production of an entire vehicle run in his game...and it was a consensus that if the 'label' ever applied, it was there. Am i right chad? (18 M8 GMC)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes patton that is right. but if there ever was a dead horse to kick, it is how rare vehicles are and how often we use them! there are about a ton of vehicles in CM1 that are availiable in the game at endless quantities and in reality only a few were produced.

i consider myself a big fan of the PSW 234 series, when only a few where produced. but before we spend endless hours crunching production numebrs, its fixed in CM2 and we will have somekind of rarity factor. all will be well.

i have and will continue to love and hold close to my men the M8HMC, PSW 234/3, and the loveable ostwing/whirlbewind!