Just seen the movie "When Trumpets fade"

Ya gettysburg is probly the best Civil war movie (although there arent to many of those)

how could you rate Full metal jacked a 4 star movie? blahh the only good part about the movie was boot camp, which made me laugh.

I liked Waterloo as well. It's been 30 years since I saw it, but I would love to see it again. That scene where Ney's cavalry charges the British square...

Also, there was a two part production of War and Peace from the late '60s I'd love to see again as well. I think the total running time for that one was well over six hours.

Michael

Waterloo I have on tape, together with Cahrge of the Light Brigade, Battle of Britain, and the originaql (subtitled) German version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" (ie not the John-boy Walton version).

Now AQOTWF is a REAL war movie!!

OK - my normal plug for A Walk in the Sun.

Braveheart? C'mon folks Wallace was a lowland Scot, he wouldn't have been seen dead in a kilt and people in that part of the world had stopped painting themselves blue about a thousand years previously. You'll be telling me Age of Kings is an historical wargame next.

Still at least it had a happy ending.

"Ahh come on. How can you call a movie about Waterloo that doesn't have single Prussian soldier in it a great movie! Waterloo the movie is a typical Anglicised version of history that completely neglects the largest army in the field (Prussian!) during the 100 day campaign. Garbage! Phoowee!"

There are two versions of the movie the original about 5-6 hours long contains the battle of ligny and plenty of Prussians. The shortend version definitly cut the Prussians and most of Ligny out. But who cares it was all about Napoleon for me!

[ August 20, 2002, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Big-Joe ]

Firefly, I agree, there's nothing like the drawing and quartering of a traitor to make your day brighter... too bad it didn't happen at the end of <ptah> _The Patriot_.

I plump, for ACW movies, _Glory_ as being the best. Not necessarily for accuracy of portrayal of battle, rather than for the fact that (although a bit overboard at times) it showed how a significant portion of the American population was ennobled by the rather pointless sacrifice of a few. But how they were ennobled...

WWII, overall I have to plump for _Das Boot_, which is almost exactly a textbook development of comradeship among men facing death. As for infantry combat, I still like _Cross of Iron_; even though it comes before the modern drench and gore of _SPR_, in some ways it shows it even better. It's hard to forget the convoy running over that dead soldier, truck after truck...

One thing I find distressing about a lot of war movies is their cheap sentimentality. _SPR_ is a good example of how Spielberg, after a nasty, gritty opening, _ruins_ the movie by playing for tearjerking moments like "Earn this." When will Hollywood learn that to be anti-war you don't have to beat people over the head with messages -- all you have to do is show war as realistically as possible.

And maybe sprinkle some fleas, dirt and week-unwashed men among the audience.

i dont know why you guys beat all over SPR, if you buy the DvD and listen to spielburg talk about why he made the film he will tell you because of His father serving in WWII and also is obsession and interst in WWII history, and he also strived to make the movie as historically accurate as possible, from what veterans and historians have told him from there experiences on D-Day.

Originally posted by zee:

i dont know why you guys beat all over SPR, if you buy the DvD and listen to spielburg talk about why he made the film he will tell you because of His father serving in WWII and also is obsession and interst in WWII history, and he also strived to make the movie as historically accurate as possible, from what veterans and historians have told him from there experiences on D-Day.

You mean like how WW II was fought by Ranger squads of 8 men who battled Nazi Tiger tanks with hand-thrown 60mm mortar rounds and wandered about willy nilly behind German lines attacking isolated MG posts on a whim? I must have read different books than Spielberg did.

The simple fact is, if they made a movie about war that was absolutely realistic, no one would come to see it.

First, the audience would be bored silly for hours on end waiting for something to happen.

Next, they'd be sweating bullets with anxiety just before the first battle scene.

Once the battle erupted, they'd be so confused, scared and ducked-down for cover that all they'd see is dirt and more dirt, or the dirt on the theatre floor at least.

Finally, once they got their heads up and moved, they'd probably be hit (i.e. shocked by what they saw and felt) and subjected to such pain and suffering as they never knew.

In the end, having survived the theatrical experience, they'd go home and never talk about it to anyone, but would advise all others strongly to stay home and avoid the experience.

Due to poor audience turn out after the first day's showing, the producers would never make another realistic war movie again...

That's my theory, anyway.

Band of Brothers gets my nod for realism in war "films" (despite being a TV mini-series). If nothing else, it set a bar for other projects to aspire to. Those guys really looked cold and worn out in the Bastogne scenes, and the length of the show let the characters develop well. I could identify with Webster's outsider status in his own unit in the Hagenau episode, for example. Great characterization, acting, effects, and historical accuracy. And no sappy heartstring pulling.

It IS possible, it just doesn't happen very often.

i saw this movie on the IFC network...it was spoken in Russian and German...cuz the main character was jewish (i forgot if he was Russian or German) he fought with the Russians and when he was caught by the Germans he started to speak German....i dont remember the name of the movie and he was switching sides during the movie

Oh, oh, I saw that movie too. Pretty good too bad I can't remember the name. DANMIT, poor liquor-soaked noggin, not functioning at 100%. :rolleyes:

As a teenage boy caught up in the opening moments of WW2 he is sent to German military school because of his fluency in Russian and German.

Best war of all time.... The Big Red One

Reasons:

1. It has Mark Hamill in it and we all know how great of an acotr he is.

2. It accurately represents German tanks with Sherman tanks painted grey with a swastika. There too is an oft overlooked fact of the war. All German tanks looked like Allied tanks in an attempt confuse the enemy. :D

Originally posted by Gary Barr:

Hi Poobear et al

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />ahh come on. How can you call a movie about Waterloo that doesn't have single Prussian soldier in it a great movie! :mad: Waterloo the movie is a typical Anglicised version of history that completely neglects the largest army in the field (Prussian!) during the 100 day campaign. Garbage! Phoowee!

Hmm......I distinctly recall seeing Blucher unhorsed at Ligny in this movie and towards end there are several hundred Prussians depicted (how could you miss Steigers extreme over-acting at news that Prussians have arrived !!)

As always other movies I like (historical ropeyness not withstanding) which are not already mentioned are

Hell Is For Heroes

Bridge At Remagen

Kellys Heroes

Longest Day

Patton

Young Lions

Of course Cross Of Iron is still the best but then I may be tad biased smile.gif

Cheers</font>