Using AKAK vs infantry

Tried this once in a game .... took four of them Osterwheelbarrows .... vs puter opp (no planes alomst guaranteed) ....

Took out ALL small armour and vehicles quickly .... even if often with the chunkier stuff it immobilised and hit guns first .... and even took out 2 fireflies .... but I had to ambush from the side and basically pound them from every angle ....

This was an experiment game with open terrain so as to allow the manouverability needed .... so then it was relatively easy to keep the inf at bay and eventually run them down ....

The best part is that these things never run out of ammo .... they are LOADED ....

Anyone else experimented with AKAK??

Hm. The Ostwind and Wirbelwind are armored (lightly), if memory serves, so the HE-vs-unarmored vehicle flaw shouldn't affect them. The flak trucks (SdKfz 7/2? Don't recall precisely -- unarmored flak trucks, that is) ARE a problem, however, for the reason Bullethead mentioned.

The Ostwind/Wirbelwind were rare, though, IIRC. Some also claim that they get far score gun hits than they should due to high ROF/accuracy, and tests did show that they're extremely efficient at smashing buildings (high ROF + high ammo load + way CM:BO models cumulative building damage means that they're terrific at it). If you use 'em for THAT purpose, your opponent might be right to complain.

I use the wirblewind every now and then if i have a lot of armour, to try and keep it more realistic that lots of axis armour need some air cover.

and i must say, i love the thing, high ROF, and tons of ammo to boot, if you can keep it alive (16mm armour in the turret?) it racks up the kills.

The unarmored halftracks have the killability problem with direct-fire HE.

Note that the Lynx, 234/1 and 250/9 also mount a flak-type automatic gun which CMBO gives the extremly high hit probablity, like all automatic flak guns.

I wouldn't exactly call the Ostwind/Whirbelwinds cheesey. They're highly vulnerable. Thinly armored AND open topped.

Besides, the Ostwind and Whirbelwinds bite into valuable armor points for the Axis player in QB force selections. Those points could have been spent on getting that extra Panther or so, so don't complain.