Mac CMMOS for CM:BB?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let's hear a hue and cry for CMMOS for CM:BB on the Mac. I'm willing to help (as much as possible) a Mac programmer to develop a Mac equivalent of CMMOS for CM:BB, but first we need a victim (I mean volunteer). :D

Anyone willing to take up the gauntlet?

Gordon

I'll start doing some research on shuttling files. Would any windows user let me know, how does the system work?

Are files all named custom so they can all be in the same folder, then renamed when they are put into the CM BMP folder?

Are there individual folders of files for each unique set with the file names set the same as in CM?

What is the structure of the CMMOS file "holding area". Folder naming conventions, file naming conventions?

This will obviously have to wait until I at least get the demo.. or maybe a beta version??? ;)

I don't even use mods, but I'm interested in trying to do this.

Might not be a bad idea to try to adapt CMMOS for CMBO to MAC first, since it is already up and running.

Oddly enough, some people may continue to play CMBO, even after the release of CMBB. A little brie and calvados can make a nice change from borscht from time to time...

I'm guessing that the program was built in Visual Basic. A Windows only development platform.

One option is for me to use FileMaker Pro. There is a plugin that allows the movement of files. It's also cross platform Mac/Win and is a very open development tool.

The other option is to look into Real Basic, also cross platform. Since I already develop in FileMaker every day, it would be much easier for me. If it won't work, then maybe it's time for me to learn REAL programming.

Originally posted by karch:

I'm guessing that the program was built in Visual Basic. A Windows only development platform.

Nope, you guessed wrong. It was written in Borland C++ Builder. Email Gordon if you want all the details. I'm sure he will be more than happy to have someone port his system to the Mac.

Keith

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

Nope, you guessed wrong. It was written in Borland C++ Builder. Email Gordon if you want all the details. I'm sure he will be more than happy to have someone port his system to the Mac.

Keith

Wow. REAL REAL programming. Maybe all we would need is some tweaks and a recompile on the Mac platform. I'll try and get ahold of Gordon to see if we could figure out a port of his C++ app to OS9. Might save us a LOT of time. If not, maybe I'll just have to go it alone, but trying to mimmic the way CMMOS works, conventions etc.

If Gordon reads this, drop me a line at scott@karchfamily.com

Originally posted by Philippe:

Might not be a bad idea to try to adapt CMMOS for CMBO to MAC first, since it is already up and running.

Oddly enough, some people may continue to play CMBO, even after the release of CMBB. A little brie and calvados can make a nice change from borscht from time to time...

I looked at doing a Mac "CMMOS" a couple of times, but CMBO:Mac doesn't use loose BMPs and resource files have a max file size of 16 megs (and that's pushing it, they can start to go 'bad' earlier than that). There are other issues with resource files and things going "wrong" while manipulating them (rez files). Shuffling resources around between the files that CMBO loads, keeping track of where they are, etc and so forth is just a huge PITA and I didn't want to tackle it.

That is the prime reason that I did not do a CMMOS for CMBO on the Mac. It continues to be the reason that I would suggest focusing on CMBB. CMMOS on the Mac would always be "broken" no matter how well we wrote it (unless we did some very not-recommended things ;) ).

With CMBB:Mac being loose BMPs, well then, things start to improve drastically. I think I'll take a look at this again, though maybe I'll just offer my coding help to Karch if he wants it (CW pro 5 here, I've mostly moved to OS X and Cocoa so haven't kept the CW up to date).

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CMMOS just have all the BMPs in the BMP directory and copies them over the appropriate file as needed? If this the case, I'd love to be in on providing some different storage options. My 'ideal' solution would be to allow the user (as an option) to leave the mods in their zip or sit archives. Slower, yes, but less space taken up too (and there's the cool factor ;) ).

Wow. REAL REAL programming. Maybe all we would need is some tweaks and a recompile on the Mac platform. I'll try and get ahold of Gordon to see if we could figure out a port of his C++ app to OS9. Might save us a LOT of time. If not, maybe I'll just have to go it alone, but trying to mimmic the way CMMOS works, conventions etc.

If Gordon reads this, drop me a line at scott@karchfamily.com[/QB]

Well, not exactly. If I remember from my dealings with it, C++ Builder is a hybrid RAD tool that combines Object Pascal (for the UI from Delphi) and C++, probably with it's own extensions. I would think that some of the core processing code would be portable (if separated into it's own classes or C modules) but probably not the UI.

As far as it being "REAL, REAL programming", as a professional VB hack I take offense at that. :mad:

:D

Not really. It's not by choice. Just where I could find a job at the time. I've been pushing for a C++ or Java rewrite where I'm currently at but it looks like we'll got to .NET instead.

VB is a pretty decent development tool and can be very powerful, if used by professional developers. However, too many unqualified people use it as a crutch for sloppy programming (slap together a UI and remember my old High School QuickBasic). I should know, I work with several of them. I'm always rewriting their code to make it readable and so the damn thing will work.

Keith

Yeah,

sitzkrieg hit the high points. There's a fair amount of UI handling code that would have to be translated into the appropriate Mac UI handling code, another chunk of code to handle Windows-isms, like the Registry, etc. that would also have to be translated to the Mac equivalents and a large chunk of code that handles the actual transformations themselves.

In addition, for the CM:BB version I'm finally considering adding support for keeping the BMPs in ZIP files (although not the original mod files for technical reasons).

Gordon

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

As far as it being "REAL, REAL programming", as a professional VB hack I take offense at that. :mad:

Keith

Keith, I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all. Your description of VB is just about what I meant. Very poor choice of words. I just seem to know of more people that pick up VB and are able to start out making apps far faster than people getting going in C++, but I could be wrong.

Let's wait until CMBB comes out and then start talking. Thanks for the post Gordon.

Keith, I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you at all. Your description of VB is just about what I meant. Very poor choice of words. I just seem to know of more people that pick up VB and are able to start out making apps far faster than people getting going in C++, but I could be wrong.

Let's wait until CMBB comes out and then start talking. Thanks for the post Gordon.[/QB]

I wasn't offended. It was a joke. Note the :D after the :mad:

Keith

CMMOS or no CMMOS, I've got to admit I'm REALLY looking forward to doing vehicle mods for CMBB. Pick pretty well any armor type and its likely CMBB will have a dedicated polygon for it. Early KV1 model 1939, late IS-2, Late big-turret T34-76 with commander's cupola. My mouth is watering.

I haven't heard whether there's going to be a code for winter graphics or not in CMBB.