What happened to all the CM websites?

Juju

Hmm. I find this kinda odd. Maybe some of you can shed some light on this issue:

What happened to all (well, most) Combat Mission websites? Most other game-specific sites I know of would go absolutely ape**** with previews, screenshots, new features, comments and anticipation at this point. And usually new sites pop up like, well, they pop up at times like this: just before a game's release.

Yet on the Combat Mission front all is indeed quiet. Not only that, many CM sites haven't seen an update in months. Why is that, I wonder?

Is there no interest/time anymore? Or is it that most, if not all of us, come here and to only a handful (on a hand that lost one or two fingers) of sites for all our CM needs?

And where will us (or was that we?) modders send our CM:BB mods? Flooding a single site with hundreds of new mods is a sure way of killing it, bandwith/provider-wise.

I'm just wondering...

And usually new sites pop up like, well, they pop up at times like this: just before a game's release.
Has anybody else ever wondered if all those professionally done fan sites for many games, having exactly the same content as the official site, except for the graphics, are really done by fans?

If I was a Big Game Producer, I'd hire a chaep webworker or two to launch a dozen fan sites for my upcoming game to create the impression of a loyal game community - even if the game isn't on the market yet...

Yet on the Combat Mission front all is indeed quiet. Not only that, many CM sites haven't seen an update in months. Why is that, I wonder?
If you cannot provide something new, there is no point in maintaining a website. What basic issues are left to put on a site? Something not discussed in this forum?

Originally posted by Zarquon:

If you cannot provide something new, there is no point in maintaining a website. What basic issues are left to put on a site? Something not discussed in this forum?

That may be one of the points (I mentioned that, I did): Most Everything worth reading can be found here. it's a very active board, with many great contributors. Many of them contribute to it whenever they are asked. Often at great length.

Maybe our little forum community is little bit detrimental to our website community.

This game is all about experience. Evaluate what you've got, guess your chances, take your chances.

The only thing I really miss is some lengthy, illustrated AARs (w/ screenshots) that can really shine some light on tactical decisions and their outcome. I would not volunteer for this work, but I'd like to read them.

Originally posted by Specterx:

Yeah, AAR's would be nice... The few on the CMHQ site are great but that section hasn't been updated in months (years?). Maybe the Der Kessel guys would create an AAR section for us :cool: .

...or maybe the Boots and Tracks guys have one already in the works ;)

If i were to setup another CM site again i would definately stay well clear of hosting mods. It's a sure-fire way to kill a site dead unless you are willing and able to spend alot of cash on ensuring you have sufficient diskspace and bandwidth. I reckon i spent nearly £1,500 on running COMBAT MISSIONS for the two years it was operating and it was still exceeding it's bandwidth quota.

Of course, there are plently of other things to cover: ops/scenarios, tactics, articles etc. etc., but nothing attracts more interest in a site than mods...and isn't that what everybody wants!?

Good points, Manx. And I can understand what you said about hosting mods. Tom's seems to be in trouble already. Which leaves only CMHQ as a major site able to host a lot of mods. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just seems a shame. We had quite a few good sites.

Time is an issue, also, some of them like to play the game rather then just run a site. Bandwidth and other factors are a big part of it as Manx said. Not all of us have tons of money to dish out on running them. Hosting scenarios isn't hard, but if you have mods, a free site is out of the question. Another thing, some webmasters are getting their sits ready for CMBB, which would mean a lull for visitors.

[ September 14, 2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

I also wonder if quite so many mods will come out in such a short time. The stuff I have on CM1 is probably state of the art now and I suspect a lot the CMII stock will be pretty good. Short of the EXCELLENT Bulge mod I hadn't downloaded much for a long time. I found I was modding more than playing. That said, I certainly enjoy the more strategic/tactical input and would welcome anything that covered these issues. Especially the combined use of vehicles/troops available in CM2. I do like the AARs too.

I can't speak for other sites, but Der Kessel is 'ramping up' for CMBB release. Many members of Die Sturmgruppe are beta-testers and their time has been consumed by that. The rest of us realize that spending our time in the creation of content for CMBO would result in a pile of work that would go for the most part unnoticed.

Our eyes are turned eastward. When finally the Godless Communist hordes butt heads with the heartless Nazi war machine, THAT you'll see plenty of activity for.

And as someone has already stated, previews and the like are already covered more than adequately right here.

I should add here that Boots & Tracks has just undergone a significant revamp and we are also ramping up for several major CMBB projects, as well as completing our ROW II committment.

So, go check the place out, bookmark it, and stay tuned. Its a whole new world on 9/20.

WWB

I've been thinking about this too & thought I'd bump this & throw a couple of things out there.

A lot of sites come & go & move. A serious WebLink update, probably at CMHQ in particular (sorry guys) would make a big diff in allowing some content to be spread out effectively. This was one of the big +s with Kump's Mod catalogs, & he missed a few that I know exist, but haven't waded through all my '@#$% crashed & have to restart' Links to find.

I don't know that much about it, but I gather the Free Webspace days are drawing to a close. I have a feeling there will be even more, not fewer Mods coming, all in HiRes with the AutoLoresization Feature in CMBB, & that's alotta k's. We have the advantage in this Community of a higher proportion of, er, more mature, established folks for whom a few bucks for a Good Cause here & there is not as big a problem as it might be with other online groups. If there were one or more 'big' private Sites 'recognized' unofficicially by the Community some kind of 'Tip Jar' arrangement might be helpful to everybody.

The other thing that always goes with 'Money' is of course 'Time'. I believe this is what knocked "CombatMissions" out of the box. The bigger & more important to the Community a Site is, the more attention it requires. A way of spreading that Load might be even more important than The Money Problem.

Again, I must admit I Don't Really Know What I'm Talking About & also that I don't have anything Actually Useful to contribute. I just think this is a worthwhile Topic for consideration.

Strt