Borg Spotting ?

but then even if the unit is known, whether the tank actually have spot that unit is another matter. I observed that when I use the hunt command in combination of a targeting line to an enemy tank around the corner of a building or woods the tank would not immediately acquire the enemy tank upon getting a direct LOS.

quote:

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Ok, could someone explain me "Borg spotting" in short? Still makes no sense to

me?

Borg Spotting comes from a comment by Charles a long time ago that said that Like the BORG (from

star trek) EVERY friendly unit knows (instantly) when one friendly unit spots an enemy unit. This was

refered to as Absolute spotting.

What we are looking for is the more realistic Relative spotting which is a concept where every unit

MUST spot (on its own) an enemy unit which means that units that might think they know where the

enemy is (because the player knows) BUT who have not actually spotted that enemy unit for

themselves would NOT have the opportunity to target that unit.

In the game it would be something like clicking on a unit and the only enemy units the Player would see

on the map would be the units that the specicific unit had indepentantly spotted on it own (and then

could target directly). Therefore (in one theory or implementation) selecting differing friendly units

would display different enemy units that each friendly unit had independantly spotted on their own. (

this suggested implementation is only one way to do it, I'm sure that no only really knows exactly how

Relative Spotting will actually work in the NeXt Big Thing, but its fun to speculate.)

-tom w

Another way to look at it...with absolute or "Borg" spotting, the "spotted" data flag is kept with the spotted unit, to which ALL enemy units relate to. If you're spotted by one enemy unit, you're spotted by all, each of whom may react to you as if they know where you are even if they cannot see you in their line of sight.

With relative spotting, each spotting unit has a data set for each unit it has spotted. Thus, it is possible for friendly units that are separated by only a few dozen meters, to have spotted entirely different enemy units, and to be oblivious to the enemy units spotted by their friendly colleagues.

On the real battlefield, absolute spotting is a general's fantasy that is soon to become reality (in the US Army at least) with the advent of networked intelligence displays in all combat vehicles, aircraft and even individual soldiers equipped with the Land Warrior system equipment. I.E. You won't have to see it yourself, to know that it is there.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

On the real battlefield, absolute spotting is a general's fantasy that is soon to become reality (in the US Army at least) with the advent of networked intelligence displays in all combat vehicles, aircraft and even individual soldiers equipped with the Land Warrior system equipment. I.E. You won't have to see it yourself, to know that it is there.

...As long as it works. Given the power of this invention, and presuming the dependency on it that will quickly arise, you can count on potential enemies will set to work to create counter-measures. In fact, we will do so ourselves under the assumption that eventually other armies, including some that are not friendly to us, will acquire the technology also.

Michael

Regarding to the future of warfare:

not only absolute spotting wlll come true in the near future, but also the prediction of soldiers' behaviour:

liga- and nano-technology-biosensors, that are implemented into the uniforms.

Therefore it is possible to observe the medical status in realtime and predict behaviour (panick).

[ October 27, 2002, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]