Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Move it or lose it

Goddam it! What's with vehicles being written off as "abandoned" in an operation just becuase they were bogged on the battle before? I can understand it if the things are way out in the middle of no-man's land, but I've got vehicles bogged well behind the front skirmish line and not even in LOS of the enemy and they're still being written off between battles. They should at least be capable of operating as pillboxes if the need arises.

The same with tanks that have a gun damaged. They get left to rot between battles too. If they can still move and fire their MG's, I should be able to use them.

Oh yeah, that would go over well with the crews.

"Sarge, take your tank forward and support Charlie company in taking the village"

"But sir, our main gun is damaged. It won't fire"

"Don't worry, we believe those Tigers are out of ammo. Besides you still have your MGs. Now move!"

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Affentitten:

...They should at least be capable of operating as pillboxes if the need arises...<hr></blockquote>

"Sir, our tank threw a track and is lying helpless 50m next to the road."

"Ok, get back to your tank in case enemy armour turns up."

"Sir???"

"Yeah, I'm gonna use you as a pillbox."

"SIR?????"

"Don't worry, Chuck will support you with his Sherm. He lost his main gun but don't worry."

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Affentitten:

OK, I get the message. I guess I'm just pissed off that a tank with a damaged gun gets abandoned rather than withdrawn and returned for a later battle.<hr></blockquote>

If the tank was in a zone where it could be recovered, and enough time between battles was available it may be recovered. Probability of recovery is based on vehicle recovery and repair settings. The operation has to be for more than just a couple of days for this to have any real impact on the opperation.

Cheers

Eric

Yeah OK. I read a bit about recovery and repair in the manual, but I can't say that I've ever been aware of it happening. God, even if I don't get the tank back again, it's depressing to see a mobile vehicle listed as abandoned in a subsequent battle when I knew it had only sutained a gun hit.