Fighter-Bomber screenshot

I took this screen shot of a FB in one of my recent games, by the looks of things the plane actually dived towards the ground. As you can see in the screen shot my AA guns are firing at a "Fighter-Bomber" that is only 60-80 meters above the ground.

Has anyone seen this before? All the AA guns i've ever seen in the game seem to shoot "up" above your LOS at enemy planes, not this one though.

Any ideas?

FB.jpg

Cheers, Stix

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Another question is whether the game models the altitude of the plane.

Well that is sort of what i'm getting at. I've never seen a plane modeled that "low" before.

You are also correct about the "high noon" position.

Originally posted by Stixx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

Another question is whether the game models the altitude of the plane.

Well that is sort of what i'm getting at. I've never seen a plane modeled that "low" before.

</font>

I've never noticed a plane flying at different heights before, they always seem to fly through at a fixed "above" the games FOV. i.e. you could never actually see the end of the targetting line.

That is what interested me with this one so much. Actually something else of interest is that none of my AA shells actually exploded near the aircraft.

If you look closely you can see 3 shells inbound but none of them exploded until they hit the map edge.

I always thought most of this stuff was very abstracted but this screen shot makes you think....

Stix

If you use the LOS tool, would the distance to where the shadow is equal 380 metres? (ie - does the LOS line shown in your screen shot calculate altitude as well, or is that the distance on the ground to the shadow, not the plane itself?)

If not, with the two lengths known, and a right angle of the third arm of the triangle, you can calculate the altitude of the plane, no?

Damnit, i didn't save that turn!

I was in the middle of a great battle! I thought a screen shot would do! ;) Guess i was wrong.

I would hesitate a guess that the distance to the aircraft would be the same as the distance to the shadow.

If an ifantry unit in a 2 story building fires at the ground below him is the height calculated? I suspect it would be the same for aircraft.

Stix

Originally posted by Stixx:

I would hesitate a guess that the distance to the aircraft would be the same as the distance to the shadow.

If so, that's an unfortunate abstraction. Can a flamer at altitude 0, shoot at someone at altitude 100 meters, who is 'adjacent' but at the top of a cliff? Time to do some testing.

Originally posted by KNac:

guys, we have found the real reason why allies won the war! invisible aircrafts! damnit bastards! smile.gif

No, they didn't get those till the Stealth bomber. Invisible to radar, anyway.

Seriously, any chance that this plane was shot down? It could be in it's final death-plummet. Does the AA gun show a FB kill?

Ok, cheers CMplayer for that test, that's nice to know.

None of my AA guns have tallied up a aircraft kill but this plane did not drop any ordanance on his pass.

Actually i just checked and that area of map is terrain elevation 11, he continued over a path that took him over elevation 15 areas but that was the only place he was that low to the ground.

I've never actually seen a label that says "Fighter-Bomber" before.

Priest ya big girl! Stp ya bloody whinging! Ya said you would be playing on Saturday but ya never showed up!.

Stix

Ok i took the same screen shot with the LOS tool on to the same position the FB's shadow was. I spent a fair bit of time on it, i doubt it is out more than 1 meter.

Now i'm sure there are some people out here smart enough to work out the height, with 1 side 380 meters the other side 372 meters with a 90 degree angle. What is the height?

FB2.jpg

Stix

Damn! You guys are my heros! ;)

Well at least we know what altitude the bloke was at. Still makes me wonder what he was doing there though? Maybe he was out of ammo and was keeping up foreign relations? ;)