Rules for a solo QB campaign

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flesh, you'll make my day!! And hundreds if not thousands of guys will remember you at their death bed ;) Go for it!

And who knows, BTS might be very interested in what you do...

BTW - Wreck - I think a lot of newbies and regulars like me will give up early on....

I got wiped out in my first 2 tries and only got it right the 3rd time after I gave myself an extra 105mm, allthough my CO doesn't seem to think so - Favor: -14 after some serious armor losses :( Didn't know the Colonel got so p'd off if they burned. Only discovered this when I did the favor calcs... Ouch! :eek:

As for Newbies...

What about a table suggesting some extra units/points/whatever depending on how you rate yourself: Ultra newbie/newbie/regular... These units must then fall away after you've reached a certain experience/favor.. whatever?

It would be a great pity for newbies not to be able to play these rules - This must be one of the best teaching tools there are...

But great fun as is - the changes you made to the rules work well... I've found the replacement rules quite clear and reasonably easy... next time it should also be a lot easier and faster to calculate...

Someone mentioned an Excel spreadsheet to help with the calcs - pls e-mail it to me if you've finished it.

Starting the 2nd battle tonight - A bloody follow on attack - all my guys are still green and I lost my best 2 squads, but we've survived the first battle. Most of my guys have gained some experience and we will get better!!

[ August 18, 2002, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Biltong - I will give some thought to the idea of making an easier start for the thing. I certainly want everyone playing it, including newbies, who is interested. If it is too hard, then it should be easy to make it easier. Perhaps a self-adapting difficulty level... hmm.

Originally posted by Biltong:

Someone mentioned an Excel spreadsheet to help with the calcs - pls e-mail it to me if you've finished it.

That would be me and it works pretty well, I'll write up some docs and send it to you.

Don't lose heart, my first two or three battles had me at -30 favor, but I had a lucky break in an armor battle. The AI had 4 Wespe's, all of which were taken out with 1 105 shell. That put my favor back up smile.gif

After that, my troops started gaining more experience, and I got better against the AI.

I'll get that Excel sheet to you ASAP.

Originally posted by Flesh:

I've been doing some research with regard to the possibility of writing a program that will automatically add the forces produced by these rules to a CM scenario. Anyway, I found a way of doing it that does not require reverse engineering the scenario file format. However, it does require a *LOT* of work as there are so many different units in CM. Here's the gist of my method:

It is possible to script/drive the CM scenario editor from an external program. To achieve, this the external program must make use of the system api calls that are used by the apps known as "macro recorders". This is quite complex and involves a lot of trial and error - but it does seem possible. I have already verified that it is possible by using a macro recorder that I downloaded from the net.

So, when these rules stabilise, if there is sufficient interest, I can have a go at doing this. Also, some help with unit lists etc. would be appreciated if/when the time comes. I can elaborate on the technical details involved if anybody would like me to.

I've done a little experimenting with a program called AutoIt, just to see if it would work. It seems like it would work, but I'm reluctant to work too much on it because the vehicles list is going to be difficult to code. Not only do you have to know where each vehicle is in the list -- you may have to scroll down -- but the point to click on will change according to date and the screen resolution. I'm hoping CMBB will have a way of saving and loading a preset list of units into a QB or scenario, the main purpose for me looking into this type of tool.

-Andy

Wreck,

A couple more comments.

1) I've been playing this since your first revision of the rules. Tons of fun, it's all I do right now, but I agree that it definitely is tough to start for an inexperienced player. Green troops in the hands of a newbie get slaughter pretty quickly. :eek:

2) Would it be possible for you to put a date or a revision number at the top of your rules? It would make it easier for folks to know if they have the latest and greatest ruleset without searching the thread for one of your update posts ( which I have appreciated greatly so far ).

Just an idea... smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Wreck--I found this thread last week and studied your material. I spent the weekend trying your QB Campaign and greatly enjoyed it. I made some alterations (which suited my needs) which is one of the things I liked about your campaign--users can change the rules (redesign) as they see fit. I note that there have been no posts since the middle of August and wondered why? Anyway I would be very interested in your thoughts/design of the QB Campaign once you obtain CMBB.

Dr. Osage - there have been no revisions because it is pretty good the way it is, for infantry at least. I had been thinking about adding the ability to do tanks.

But then three things intervened: I got extremely busy moving, work has really picked up, and those BF bastards sabotaged me by releasing the BB demo. I figure in about 2 weeks nobody is going to be playing CMBO anyway, and I will have to revisit the rules for BB.

Originally posted by Wreck:

Dr. Osage - there have been no revisions because it is pretty good the way it is, for infantry at least. I had been thinking about adding the ability to do tanks.

I figure in about 2 weeks nobody is going to be playing CMBO anyway, and I will have to revisit the rules for BB.

Wreck,

I'm a newbie to CMBO and I'm interested in doing your QB campaign! Thanks for all of your hard work.

yeah, you should keep it simple until you are comfortable that it will work! Once you get the infantry working you or others can start adding on to your rules.

• 1 month later...

Howdy!

I tried printing out these rules but my printer splits the pages across tables and ends up losing information.

RATS!!

Is there a way I could get a zip file with all the text of the rules in it?

Thanks,

Gpig

Biltong just released a new version of these rules for CMBB. Sounds like they have been revised and tweaked for added playability. For more info, check out the thread on this topic in the CMBB forum.

If you are just looking for the CMBO rules that Wreck originally designed, I believe I have a copy at home. If no one else come along to help you out, send me an email (in my profile) and I can send you a zipped up version tonight.