A unique battle in a realistic European town!

I was interested to see how convincing an urban map could be made in Combat Mission, so I put all my efforts into creating a realistic European town. The result is my scenario Trojan Horse Not Supplied.

trojan.jpg

Not only is the scenery exceptionally dense and varied, it also makes for a very interesting battle. A strong British force must fight up a hill with their flank exposed, then effect a river crossing, and then fight their way through the town to secure objectives in opposite directions!

Download the Zip file here.

Let me know what you think!

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 08-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Let me know what you think!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the next train that comes along this track is gonna have a helluva surprise... eek.gif

Yes I know (no train bridges mad.gif, and it certainly is a nice map.

Henri

Von Brizee wrote:

> perhaps there are a bit too many German trucks?

I started off with more over by the mansion... then I allocated some of them to the men who have just arrived, rather than increasing the number.

I don't think there are too many sitting around - I wanted to allow the option for the Germans to relocate swiftly to a different part of the town. Even then, you'll be hard pressed to get all the men into trucks.

It's also partly for the sake of realism - you wouldn't have a town full of Germans without any vehicles.

Does it cause a problem?

Thanks

David

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Von Brizee wrote:

It's also partly for the sake of realism - you wouldn't have a town full of Germans without any vehicles.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The German military overall was very short on motor vehicle transport. So it would depend on the unit, I suppose, if they would have that many trucks.

Cav

[This message has been edited by CavScout (edited 08-29-2000).]

CavScout wrote:

> The German military overall was very short on motor vehicle transport.

I did consider that, actually - but (I won't post a spoiler here) there aren't that many trucks. Certainly not half as many as you'd need to mount all the Germans in the scenario.

David

------------------

David,

I really enjoyed your scenario tonight, playing as the Brits against the computer. You really caught the european city style.

The first twenty minutes were a fierce battle about who controls the mansion. I took it after heavy infantry losses and even lost two out of three tanks due to this pesky PAK50 on the other side of the river.

I managed to destroy the Marder and Tiger with the Cromwell tank that survived the first AT-battle (by hiding behind the house near the bridge).

After my engineers cleared the bridge, it was only a matter of time concerning my victory. Final stats were about 300 (AI) to 200 casualties.

The german MG groups have very strong positions on the other side of the bridge, but the AI doesn´t hold it´s fire for an ambush and therby reveals it´s position. The best way to clear those houses was simply to blow them up by concentrated fire from three allied tanks. That way it took only two turns for heavy buildings and together with the flamethrowers I collapsed 4 buildings.

Just two suggestions:

At first, my men had serious problems crossing the river at the two fords since the slopes were just to steep. Maybe you could lower the tiles at this position.

Second, wouldn´t a flamethrower tank be a nice addition to the initial british setup?

Keep up the good work, I really loved this map and will play it from the german side ASAP.

Thanks,

------------------

DaMilli

SPOILER

X

X

X

DaMilli wrote:

> The german MG groups have very strong positions on the other side of the bridge, but the AI doesn´t hold it´s fire for an ambush and therby reveals it´s position.

This is why I've warned that the AI doesn't make too good a job of the scenario.

> Just two suggestions:

> At first, my men had serious problems crossing the river at the two fords since the slopes were just to steep.

The slopes directly above the fords are traversible, but elsewhere they're too steep.

> Second, wouldn´t a flamethrower tank be a nice addition to the initial british setup?

Possibly, but so would a lot of other things. You've got infantry flamethrowers if you really want to start fires. =)

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

David

X

X

X

------------------

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They should probably cross the river on the chairlift, so they're not cut off from the town garrison. If your Mark IV is still in one piece, it can go too – just hook it on to two of the seats, one at each end.

Wait a second... did I forget the chairlift??

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."