Is it just me? Or...

... are other CMBO people having problems with their PBEM partners going AWOL in mid-PBEM? Maybe it is that CMBB has totally consumed them, or maybe it's me, but it is quite frustrating to put all sorts of time and effort into a PBEM, only to find yourself abandoned and unable to finish the game.

The PBEM games I've done that have been completed are most enjoyable, but it almost makes me want to go back to the A.I. where at least I know the game can be finished.

Is this a common problem for others? Out of the 4 different people I've played PBEMs with, 2 have gone AWOL ½-way thru the first game, and I don't think it's because there was a clear winner either way. Both games are still up for grabs from what I can tell.

Thanks,

BeWary

[ November 01, 2002, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: BeWary ]

Not uncommon. With the "view movie" turn between order phases, which must be transferred between the players, the already slow pace of pbem play is exaggerated with CM and people just lose interest. TCP play works well though, except that it requires blocks of time to be set aside that a lot of people don't have available.

Are you playing CM newbies or veterans? If veterans, maybe you are right and their time is getting consumed with CMBB. If newbies, maybe they don't realize how important it is for some of us to finish the game to completion...even if it is one sided toward the end. Even if I'm getting slaughtered, I still enjoy completing the game.

Currently, I'm still having pretty good luck with my CMBO PBEM games. I'm playing 6 PBEM games right now and so far none of my opponents have gone AWOL.

Of course, none of the games are finished yet either so we will see...

I agree with you though, it is *very* annoying to spend the time and effort in a game and not see the final outcome.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Agua, you're right, TCP can be better, but with the wife and 2 young-uns, I'm one of those that cannot devote large chunks of time like that. Maybe I should try some very small (less than 500 point) TCP battles.

GH, they're veterans far as I can tell (though you wouldn't be able to tell by judging their use of artillery smile.gif ). Guess you win some, you lose some. I'm like you though. Even if I'm getting massacred, I finish the game, as I still find it fun to see just how long my troops can hold out. It's especially frustrating this time around though, because this is my second attempt to finish a game of All or Nothing. Against the CPU it never got close to town (even with 75 turns!), so the game was a dud. PBEM, the battle was finally reaching the outskirts of the town, and he quits! Argh...

Is there a way to continue a game having the computer play the rest of your opponent's turns? Like loading the PBEM from the "Saved Game" directory and selecting a computer opponent?

BeWary

[ November 01, 2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: BeWary ]

BeWary,

Couple of things...

1) I have no idea whether or not you can tell the AI to take over a PBEM game. I kind of doubt it since I've never heard or read about anyone doing that. Hopefully, someone who knows more about it will be along soon. It would be great if there was a way to do it.

2) I'm in the same boat you are in. Full time job and family limits the time I can spend on CM games. PBEM is the only practical way I can play against human opponents.

3) If you never end up hear from your "All or Nothing" opponent again, and you still have the motivation to try one more time....I'd be happy to play you in a PBEM game using that scenario. Pretty fun one as I remember and I've never played that one against a human. I can't promise perfect tactics but I can guarantee you I'll play the entire game to the bitter end. smile.gif

Thanks man. I'll keep you in mind. It may be a little while though, as I'm about to switch jobs and houses so life's a little crazy now. smile.gif

As for loading up a PBEM game in progress and letting the CPU take over, I'll try it and post the results here.

BeWary

Originally posted by Green Hornet:

Are you playing CM newbies or veterans? If veterans, maybe you are right and their time is getting consumed with CMBB. If newbies, maybe they don't realize how important it is for some of us to finish the game to completion...even if it is one sided toward the end. Even if I'm getting slaughtered, I still enjoy completing the game.

Currently, I'm still having pretty good luck with my CMBO PBEM games. I'm playing 6 PBEM games right now and so far none of my opponents have gone AWOL.

Don't worry, Green Hornet. I'll finish mine. I always fight on until the bitter end! Plus I'm having a blast.

I think that if someone loses interest in a game, at least surrender or call for a cease fire.

[ November 01, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

That's a real bummer when an opponent drops out without a word. In my two years' worth of PBEM that's happened several times but not too many.

Anyhow, to be able to finish off someone elses started game you'd have to get their password, then it would be easy. Give it a shot...

Shoeman

Because Im just beginning w/PBEM, I look forward to completeing all my game contacts.

I can, however, see impatient players giving up on newcommers [86 "newbie" please] as they tend to screw things up & may not offer much of a challenge to those more experienced.

I look forward to maintaining 5 PBEM contacts daily,

have only had one go quiet on me.[& it was during turn one?].

Quiting in the middle of a game is not for me. I got "waxed" bad by my first contact, who surprised me with an offer of another game.

My initial experience with folks from this site has been reliable so far [including one RUDE S.O.B. who pushes the limit of decency].

Quitting in the middle of a game is just more bagage for you carry around ["quitter"].

I agree that it's rude to just stop sending return files. The only acceptable reason for doing so is a computer crash or similar force majeure.

However, I do accept longer return times now and then.

I'm one of those with little time due to family issues, and previously a PBEM game usually took at least half a year from start to finish. (About one turn/week.)

The last few months my time for CM has dropped though, and now I'm returning files much less frequent.

Cheers

Olle

I think the issue of some folks losing interest may have to do with expectations. I've found (and read) that it's a good idea to lay down some basic expectations before jumping into a PBEM battle.

Everyone's schedules and time comittments are different. I find that I can manage about one turn a day with a few more on weekends.

If I'm playing an opponenent that would prefer several turns a day and dozens on the weekends, they would be more likely to lose interest in a battle with me. Just as if I were playing Mr. Petersson, I would be more likely to lose interest if I was expecting a turn a day and only got a turn a week.

Same thing goes for playing style. Some people do not like crew rushing, flag rushing, or excessive exploitation of "borg spotting".

If all this is discussed/agreed upon up front, and expectations are set, I would guess it would probably reduce the number of AWOLs.

All that being said, I agree that it is still bad form to go AWOL with no notice. A quick note saying you'll be unable to send a turn for "x" number of days/weeks is not too much to ask.

Just my opinion... ;)