What on earth is an Ampulamet?

derb

Originally posted by Elvis:

I have recently been using them against entrenched infantry. I'm not sure how effective they are but it sure is fun to watch that little fire burning in foxholes.

You should see the VAP-250 from IL2 Sturmovik. Nothing says "Fun" like dropping 50+ Ampulamet like projectiles out of the back of the plane onto open top HT's :D

Dropping 90 Chemical ignited Molotovs at once is pretty cool too.

Hey BTS, think you could tweek CMBB's IL2 loadout a bit?

I discovered these recently, too. I was pretty excited about having a 'flame projector' in a scenario- sounded like something from Doom 3. Then I started playing around with it and realized how impuissant the thing is. Took out a AC in a QB with one, though, which was pretty cool although it took about 5 hits.

I havent been able to find a picture of one, anybody have a photo? The manual says they were 'widely used', and as I had never seen heard of it before 2 weeks ago, I suppose that indicates how much I have to learn about the Ostfront.

I'd like to see a good photo myself, even after 35 years of reading about the Eastern Front.

From what I gather, the projector fired spherical or globular rounds. Whether the rounds had an ignition source on board (a fuse/striker assembly) or if they just had a wick you lit before launching, is a good question.

Some of our expert web ferrets may be able to snoop out more about it.

I've got a photo of one in a book.

IIRC it is "Infantry and Mountain Guns", in hte WW2 Fact File Series published in hte 70's by Janes & MacDonalds.

Basically imagine a small muzzle-loading cannon - a swivel gun really, complete with 2 handles at teh breech and simple iron "v" and "i" rear and fore sights.

It is mounted like a swivel gun in the photo too - a simple "U" shaped mount to 2 trunions - one on either side, with a single vertical tube at het bottom of the "U" mount.

However IIRC the book says little was known about them and they appeared to be rare. But that was 25-30 yrs ago.......

In my copy of "The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II," Bishop, Barnes & Noble Books, the "Ampulenjot 1941 System Kartukov" makes its grand appearance under the Allied & Axis Flamethrowers chapter.

Under the drawing (not really a photo) it is described thus:

"The Soviet Ampulenjot 1941 System Kartukov was a simple 'pipe' gun that used a small black powder charge to fire an incendiary 'carcass' projectile. It was an expedient defense weapon used for a short period in 1941. The maximum range was only 250 m (274 yards)."

The main text also adds:

"The advancing Germans captured numbers of these Kartukov guns, and the only references now available regarding these weapons are to be found among German intelligence reports. Understandably enough the Germans did not have a very high opinion of them as weapons and regarded them as 'primitive.'"

Specifications:

Caliber: 127mm (5 in.)

Length: overall 1.02m (40.16 in.)

Weight: 26 kg. (57.3 lb.)

Elevation: 0 to +12 degrees

Traverse: 360 degrees

Muzzle velocity: 50m (164 ft.) per second

Maximum range: 250m (274 yards)

Projectile weight: 1.5 or 1.8 kg. (3.3 or 3.97 lb.)

I'll try to post the pic a bit later.

One thing I've noticed in the game is that the firing of the weapon and the appearance of the flame on the ground seem almost instantaneous. They do seem to be fairly effective against halftracks and light armored vehicles. They seem to be more effective against infantry. ;)

Slammr

I've seen a variety of spellings, but I think "ampulomet" is the correct one. The following pictures are labeled as such, but I make no claims as to whether they actually are or not.

ampulomet1.jpg

ampulomet2.jpg

ampulomet3.jpg

I swear someone else posted a sketch in another thread, but I've been unable to find it via search.

Ben

[ November 19, 2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Ben Galanti ]

This is an English version of this site here.

http://klad.hobby.ru/english.htm

Here is an excerpt about what they do:

"The aim of creation and activity of the Society are the exploration and rescue from destruction of the items which possess historical, cultural, art or high material value."

Of course, the military archaeology part of their site appears to be Russian only, but it sounds like it might be real. There's also some pictures on there somewhere of some rusted Maxim MG's.