What Is This?

Originally posted by wwb_99:

For those of us non-CMMOS types, any chance of seeing a 'normal' version of the mods made avaliable. I have not added anything new because everything recent comes out as a CMMOS set, not a good old fashioned zip file.

WWB

But these are existing mods that have been repackaged into a convenient (al beit rather large) package for your CMMOS-enabled enjoyment.

Gordon

"The difference between commitment, and to a great extent dedication, and involvement can be seen by a typical Midwestern breakfast. Eggs, ham or bacon, toast, juice, etc. Looking at this spread one can clearly see that the chicken is involved in this breakfast. On the other hand, the pig is committed to this breakfast."

- Unknown

Originally posted by Gordon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wwb_99:

For those of us non-CMMOS types, any chance of seeing a 'normal' version of the mods made avaliable. I have not added anything new because everything recent comes out as a CMMOS set, not a good old fashioned zip file.

WWB

But these are existing mods that have been repackaged into a convenient (al beit rather large) package for your CMMOS-enabled enjoyment.

Gordon

"The difference between commitment, and to a great extent dedication, and involvement can be seen by a typical Midwestern breakfast. Eggs, ham or bacon, toast, juice, etc. Looking at this spread one can clearly see that the chicken is involved in this breakfast. On the other hand, the pig is committed to this breakfast."

- Unknown</font>

Originally posted by Manx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gordon:

WWB

Gordon

- Unknown</font>

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Manx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gordon:

WWB

Gordon

- Unknown</font>

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Hey Teddo, you forgot to post it on the site. I can't very well download it to my computer by looking at the purty screenies can I?

CW,

To quote myself in an earlier post from this very thread, "...before the week is out, the only place where this will be available is CMHQ! Word of the official release will be made here..."

Any more questions? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Hey Teddo, you forgot to post it on the site. I can't very well download it to my computer by looking at the purty screenies can I?

CW,

To quote myself in an earlier post from this very thread, "...before the week is out, the only place where this will be available is CMHQ! Word of the official release will be made here..."

Any more questions? :rolleyes: </font>

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Don't you use that sass-mouth on me, lest you feel the back o my hand!

CW,

Hmmm, a threat from a Bears fan? Assuming you grossly overestimate the effectiveness of both your offense AND your defense in all matters, I have no reason to fear you OR the back of your hand. tongue.gif

Originally posted by PawBroon:

That's strange.

I mean, seriously...

What's with you guys?

[insert Usual Example Here]

I never switch between Snowy, whitewash or plain for my winter textures.

Fernando and Gordon latest CMMOS Stug pleases me.

I donwload it, unzip it in a Temp directory and choose between all files which are the best.

Imagine they are delivered like this:

***_sno

***_ww

***_pln

I them rename ***_sno to ***.bmp and have a non CMMOS MOD.

Tadaaa!

[/insert Usual Example Here]

You should try really.

Not using the newest MODs because you're a non CMMOSer is akin to missing all the best MODs so far...

God, just call me a cave man and get over with it man.

I don't use CMMOS for several reasons. Mainly I want to play with CM instead of fiddle with my mods. I like to hook up one set to look good, don't mess with option packs, and like black and white TVs too. That and I am on a 56k dialup so unless I want to risk downloading stuff at work, huge multi-terrain sets are not an option.

It is more of a convenience issue really, why do I need some huge DL with everything in the world in it, have to go thru renaming files when it would be little trouble to put a seperate, smaller zip of each individual set up for us cavemen and crumudgens.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

I don't use CMMOS for several reasons. Mainly I want to play with CM instead of fiddle with my mods. I like to hook up one set to look good, don't mess with option packs, and like black and white TVs too. That and I am on a 56k dialup so unless I want to risk downloading stuff at work, huge multi-terrain sets are not an option.

WWB

Ditto.

and about that 56k modem thing, that's perdy much the standard here in Europe (nash teeth) and to fork over a few more Euros just to get 3kb/s more on ISDN is not worth it. To go DSL is at the momment very expensive too.

[ April 26, 2002, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: mensch ]

I'm the first to admit that CMMOS is not everyone's cup of tea. Even within the CMMOS user community there are many different voices crying out for different features and different mods/sets of mods for inclusion.

That's why I made it as open-ended as possible. Do I expect everyone to download 150 MBs worth of terrain mods if they're happy with what they have installed currently? Of course not. However, for those people who want to easily have different sets of terrain to represent different seasons and/or environmental conditions to increase the immersion level of the game, this puppy's for you.

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:

That's why I made it as open-ended as possible. Do I expect everyone to download 150 MBs worth of terrain mods if they're happy with what they have installed currently? Of course not. However, for those people who want to easily have different sets of terrain to represent different seasons and/or environmental conditions to increase the immersion level of the game, this puppy's for you.

Gordon

I guess I have been a bit harsh in this thread. CMMOS is a very good thing and I do appreciate all the efforts that went into it. I am in no way trying to detract from it.

My main beeef is that those who choose not to use CMMOS for whatever reasons have been completely left behind by all the new mods. Not that my set is bad, but I could really use a new winter set (Goddamit Tom! Where is the Bulge Pak Man!) and a few minor improvements. But I have to dl ~150mb worth of stuff to get one hi-res stug at this point.

Moreover, I think there is an advantage to webmasters WRT bandwith savings. Letting people download individual mods will probably mean several people do not download the entirety of CMMOS, saving several hundred MBs of bandwith quota right there.

WWB

For those coming late to this thread, I would just like to clarify that you don't have to download hundreds of millions of megabytes worth of material to get what you want out of CMMOS.

Field and Stream, for example, may weigh in at 150+ MB, but it is pretty much broken up into one download per mod, and some of them are very small, less than a megabyte. And the names of the zip files make it fairly clear what each contains. The edition was designed for cherry-picking.

F&S can save and reinstall three user defined terrain sets. The use of CMMOS for terrain sets in no way forces you to use CMMOS for anything else.

Finally, recent versions of CMMOS have a wonderful little program in them called the BMP Munge. This program allows you to rename large numbers of files at will, altering file number extensions almost instantaneously. And it's so easy to use even I can make sense of it.

Philippe

Well, to a certain extent the buggy whip manufacturers were left behind by the advent of the automobile, until they expanded their markets into "sexual toys". smile.gif

But seriously, modders are time constrained just like everyone else and web-sites are storage and bandwidth constrained also. Everybody wants more mods and making multiple versions of mods (hi-res, low-res, CM Mod Manager-enabled, CMMOS-enabled, Mac-enabled) all takes time/space/bandwidth.

I understand the bandwidth challenge as I am also stuck with a 56K modem, and I have to both download and upload this stuff (and uploading is much slower than downloading). So, we all need to pick and choose where we can focus our limited resources. Granted, converting 150 MB worth of CMMOS mods to "plain-packs" is a daunting task, but occasionally unzipping and renaming a StuG mod is not (and that's all that CMMOS really does, just on a massive scale).

Also, as Philippe points out, you don't have to use CMMOS on a daily basis. If you install it, download the CMMOS StuGs, select the options you want, you need never touch CMMOS again until you want the use the next CMMOS-enabled mod that comes along. Of course this still doesn't help the Mac users, but there is an effort to develop a Mac equivalent that's on-going.

Gordon

[ February 07, 2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Gordon ]