Daimler Mod Preview!

Thought I'd post a screenie showing the progress I've made on the Daimler armoured car mod. The way the 3D model handles the textures is a little funky, so it's been a difficult task to try to balance the desire for detail and the need for a little vagueness in the textures.

Here's what I've done so far. It's dressed in what will be an optional "Mickey Mouse" camo scheme. Unit markings, etc, have not been added yet. I'd like to get opinions on the inclusion of details like the smoke grenade launchers on the side of the turret and the tools. Should they be included even though the texture is mirrored on the model? Maybe make it an option?

daimler.jpg

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

Is that grenade launcher based on the IWM picture? In that case I think it was a post-war addition, IIRC.

<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm. I don't remember but it might be. I'll check my sources. Certainly don't want anything ahistorical...

smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Keep up the great work Andrew! Now if only I could make my graphics files bigger so I could use all your mods...hehe ;) <hr></blockquote>

Panzerman, are you on a Mac? I finally figured out how to get around the 15MB graphic resource limitation using Res Edit (although this is certainly no secret to many members of this forum..hey, it's a minor personal victory for me, though!).

Anyhow, I can fill you in on how to do it if you want. It's pretty easy, in hindsight.

smile.gif

It's pretty easy. No new resource files need to be created. What you need to do is utilize resource files that contain very few graphic files to act as a sort of overflow for the really chock-full ones, like Graphics 5. Okay, here's how I do it:

1. Open up BMP files in Picture Viewer (do not use Photoshop becasue for some reason it doesn't work right).

2. Using Res Edit (a free download from Apple--bless you, Steve Jobs), open a graphics resource file with room to spare from your CM Data folder. I've been using Graphics 1 and Graphics 10, as they have lots of available space.

3. Copy BMP in Picture viewer, then switch to Re Edit and paste into resource file.

4. You will now see the BMP added in the window showing the individual BMPs contained in the resource file. Now select the BMP you just added and "get info" by press command+I. In the dialogue box that opens change the resource ID and name to that of the BMP file, i.e. "3701" and "3701.bmp", respectively.

5. Repeat as necessary.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Once you go through the steps it becomes pretty routine and easy.

It works without a hitch, although make sure that the textures that you are adding are not duplicated elsewhere--that is, make sure you remove or replace the BMPs in their original places. CM looks for the graphics by number, so it doesn't matter where they are stored.

Hope this helps. Let me know if anything needs clearing up. smile.gif

[edited for stupidity]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

Were can I find this puppy??<hr></blockquote>

Uh, only on my hard drive. tongue.gif

It ain't ready yet (hence the "preview" part of the thread title) ;)

I'll go home and work on it tonight.

Nice work again. Bonus points too for selecting this often ignored vehicle.

I like the M.Mouse scheme. Personally, get rid of the grenade launcher. The tools look alright though.

A couple more markings and such to spice it up a bit would be great too.

Also, since the bottom of the chassis is a bit dirtied up how about making an optional dirty set of wheels to match?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Also, since the bottom of the chassis is a bit dirtied up how about making an optional dirty set of wheels to match?<hr></blockquote>

The wheels are very much a work in progress--note the absence of lugnuts, or any detail whatsoever, for that matter. ;)

Have patience. You will not be disappointed.

[edited for spelling]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]</p>

Just plain WOW!!!! Andrew. Again, just a excellent looking mod. Please let us know when it's ready. Oh and I third the motion for the Pershing. I really would like to see what you could do for that beast. Damn man, you are good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ye shallst not let Andrew's MOD UnBUMPed.

That Daimler is perfect BTW.

Am I glad I stopped mine to finish the Archer.

Now for all of you Big Cats lovers, I'll be releasing the Pershing and the King Tiger soon after that Archer SPG.

No pics since I'm a formerly registered user of a very dead Photopoint...

Andrew's Daimler over Tom's WinterPack, I'm in Heaven.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bfamily33:

Andrew: Will you or Gordon being doing a Winter version of the Daimler?<hr></blockquote>

I asked Gordon about doing a winter Jeep--he must be busy because I haven't heard from him since. I'd love it if he'd consider doing the Daimler, too.

I might try to winterize it myself, so wish me luck

smile.gif