Tracked Motorbike from SPR.

I watched Saving Private Ryan (yet again) tonight and paid special attention to the tracked motorbike thingy that "Ryban" and another bloke head out on to lure the Germans into the village.

Question is: What was the actual name of these things and what were they specifically used for? My guess is recon - but maybe something more?

What strikes my attention is the fact that this vehicle I have only ever seen in SPR and no other war movies or documentaries.

Hi

Your talking about the SdKfz 2 - Kettenkrad.

Not as far as I am aware used for recce, but liason and towing of light guns, especially in Fallschirmjager units.

I have plenty of photos of them in various books I have so it was fairly common. Over 8000 were built, but mainly used on the East Front, but several well known photos of Villers Bocage after Wittmans rampage show one.

------------------

Pete

"When Rumania declared war in August 1916, it is said that one of the first army orders, after mobilization, was that only officers above the rank of major were allowed to use make up"

The Oxford Book of Military Anecdotes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think BTS has one for snowmobiling around the back woods of Maine.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Also, isn't the full name Kettenkraftrad, usually shortened to just Kettenkrad?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be really technical, I thought they were the Kleines Kettenkraftrad. But as far as I know, there was no Grosse Kettenkraftrad so the distinction seems unnecessary.

Anybody notice the div roundal/sign on the side of the Kettenkraftrad on the bridge in the town. Looks to me like the sign of the Hermann Göering Div ....as far as i know that unit did not fight in France...unless of course it belonged to the Div Training/Replacement unit ???

Any idea's ???

Regards

Måkjager

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Måkjager:

Anybody notice the div roundal/sign on the side of the Kettenkraftrad on the bridge in the town. Looks to me like the sign of the Hermann Göering Div ....as far as i know that unit did not fight in France...unless of course it belonged to the Div Training/Replacement unit ???

Any idea's ???

Regards

Måkjager

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I imagine the private collector who owned it would not permit the movie makers to repaint it for the movie.

I do know the HG Division had elements (from the training unit, I believe, as you mention) that fought in Holland in October part of KG Chill I think - but don't know if they were in France in June.