Suggest some other great wargames

Originally posted by simovitch:

Nothing though compares to the heady days of the 70's staying up all night playing the AH classics like 3rd reich, 1776, bulge, russian campaign, etc. etc. if you were/are lucky enough to have a ftf player (as I did) the experience of physically moving stacks of counters around is, i feel in some twisted way superior to the virtual battlefield, at least on the operational/strategic level.

My oh my...someone else remembers 1776. Ever win as the British in a campaign? Darned hard to do. If we are going to mention Avalon Hill games, one of my favorites was Luftwaffe (I think that was the title)--best strategic WWII airwar simulation that I have ever seen.

I can't get my son (13 years old) interested in a game like CMBO. (Normal person that he is...) I think it was easier to ramp up to these very sophisticated games when you started with something like Africa Korp.(AH)

I bounce between CMBO and Europa Universalis II--both allow for thoughtfull, historical play (and do not require just quick reflexes).

But I liked CC3 and CC4. I look forward to comparing CC3 to CMBB (when I get a slightly more powerful computer). I have been surprised that CMBO does not even have beach invasion scenarios (I know there are mods), and that CMBB does not have a campaign system to compete with CC3s very sketchy one (I realize there is Biltong's very complex rule set).

I

Someone mentioned Steel Panthers. I loved the Steel Panthers III Brigade Command game, but I can't get it to run on my new HP Pavilion with Windows XP. Does anyone have any hints or tips? Sorry for the OT and wrong forum post, but I thought someone might have a way to get this thing to run on a 21st century system.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Scout, a new version of Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank came in June, be sure to check that one. The game guide in it one also has a detailed guide on how to make it (being a MS DOS based program) work on WinXP, and those same rules should apply on SP3 too.

As I understand it SP:MBT is based on Steel Panthers 2 not Steel Panthers 3, which was at platoon level rather than individual vehicle level. I have installed and run SP3 on Win XP, but the main problem is that modern PCs are too fast for it. Everything, particularly scrolling the map, is so quick that it becomes an exercise in frustration.

Originally posted by Firefly:

As I understand it SP:MBT is based on Steel Panthers 2 not Steel Panthers 3, which was at platoon level rather than individual vehicle level. I have installed and run SP3 on Win XP, but the main problem is that modern PCs are too fast for it. Everything, particularly scrolling the map, is so quick that it becomes an exercise in frustration.

Yes, my point was that there is help in that game's guide which has lengthy instructions on how to set up SP to work on a modern Widows (XP) system. All DOS-based SP's being based on the same engine, the same should work on SP3 (then there is SP3 for Windows on which SPWAW is built, but that should work in Windows without help).

SPMBT actually runs fine on my 'puter, but some tweaking was needed. With SPMBT I use Mo'slo to slow down the CPU, and MouseCTL to speed up the mouse which for some reason otherwise is very sluggish in DOS mode. In your case go for Mo'slo or similar application.

Originally posted by Sergei:

I used to use Moslo for the SP games on my old Win95 450Mhz system, I didn't know that it worked under XP, although to be quite honest I find it hard to go back to the SP games, even updated ones like SPWAW, after playing the CM series. I can still happily play larger scale hex games like UV, but CM has spoiled the squad/individual vehicle level hex games for me.

www.metalknights.com

I want to start by stipulating that I am not affiliated to the owner of this site in any way. I played this for about a year or so back in 98. Its been around since 95 and looks like its still going pretty strong. I ended up quiting because, frankly, it was taking up too much of my time.

The graphics are fairly basic and so is the combat engine but it is very strategic and addictive. It is very much like chess in that it is easy to learn to play but very difficult to master. When I last checked this game was still free to download and try and a lifetime membership was either 12 or 20 dollars (up to you).

A typical game, which is hosted on one of several servers, can last anywhere from a week to several months with from 2 to around 12 players. Each player starts with a base and some cash to buy units. The object is to capture all the other players bases. You get additional cash to buy more units by capturing and taxing towns on the map, or harvesting resources with the appropriate harvesing unit. Towns bases and resources can all be defended. This is a turn based game, it is different then CM in that the actions you perform occur while you are playing. For example, if I attack your defended city your troops will fight but if I win I take that city durring my turn. When you log on you will get a report of what occured but all you will see beyond that is the reprecusions of my actions.

Here is a list of types of units: Pure defensive, Engineering(defensive and resource collecting), Offensive (land/air/sea), transport(land/air/sea) and some special recon types. There are around 20 units in all.

I hope someone finds this useful.

88 was the first wargame I ever played. It was a North Africa tank sim by Yaquinto. When the Cross of Iron expansion cam eout fo Squad leader i was in heaen. Sid Meiers Getysburg is the best computer game I've ever played. You can't beat the massive 3x3 and 4x4 battles with voice chat.

Here's a list of a few excellent WW2 games thats either out now or is coming out soon:

1) Codename Panzers - This is a RTS game. Be sure to check out the video. It's all ingame footage and it's simply amazing.

2) Medal of Honor - Not exactly realistic, but a very good FPS anyway.

3) Call of Duty - another FPS, but this one is even better than MoH. The demo just came out and its very very good.

4) Battlefield Command - Another promising RTS game.

[ September 04, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Gunny ]