Learn to spell 'Lose'!

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Originally posted by cris:

I am more interested in the meaning than the syntax.

Syntax? Syntax?! It's a question of SPELLIN' not none o' your high falutin' syntax.

Falutin' ?

The good thing about CMBB is it is totally XXX rated when it comes to language. The swearing in CMBO was a far cry from the life-like (if a bit repetitive) use of non-English/German languages the way the natives use them IRL.

:D

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Every thread I read here, and elsewhere, has people mispelling 'lose'. It's driving me crazy.

You don't 'loose' a game, you 'lose' it, fer chrissake!

Some of us don't get as many chances to practice spelling it correctly as you do.

OK, now is my chance to vent about my pet peeve, “Then” and “Than”. I’m sure this comes from sloppy pronunciation (and spelling they way they pronounce it) and people either not realizing that there are two different words or getting them turned around. I don’t care. So what if I can figure out what you meant. You are writing in English, I shouldn’t have to translate. So get it straight people…

A) Then and now.

B) I like this more than that.

Oh yeah, I just remembered my number two peeve, “to” vs. “too”. This could be a typo, but I doubt it.

A) I go from here to there.

B) Too much of a good thing is wonderful.

God, that lose/loose thing has been bugging me for years, but I've been too polite to _ever_ complain about it (...until now). Thank you! For the chance to vent among friends who feel the same way!

Here's #2 on my list - usually done by people who also have trouble with the lose/loose concept - pore/pour. You don't pour over a document, dammit!!

We all have are tallents. Some of us are naturally born poor spellers. Some have dyslexia. While you're correct that those of us who do have one of those two problems shouuld work on it, and indeed get those "standard" things down, don't be pissed when some of us still botch up.

I'm a piss poor speller. I used to do the loose/lose thing. That was mild, I used to spell "very" as "varry" and "helmet" as "helmate."

I just am poor at it, I learn and fix some spellings, but others crop up.

I understand the rant, but really, try to look past and see content before ignorance.