Looking for help.......

Fly-By

Hello all, I recently downloaded CMBO, found it very appealing, and decided to order the bundle last pm.

Im looking for a contact or two with great patience interested in helping an inexperienced enthusiast of games, especially CM.

On the other hand, if folks here are tolerant of newcommers and their usual ignorance, I am willing to embarrass myself here [as opposed to email contacts].

Either way, any advice is appreciated. My email is in my profile.

I have a bunch of "drive you crazy" questions, but will wait for feedback & leave you with two: [1]- Playing demo as Allies, I notice the Axis units/infanty sometimes change from their original form into an Iron Cross, & then back again. What does this represent? [2] I finished my initial learning curve on "Chance Encounter" & am having difficulties with "Troubled Valley". I typed Troubled Valley in search on this site[under CMBO forum] but didnt come up with much that was specific to this mission.[but lotsa good conversation about game] Where do I go for suggestions on individual missions?

Thanks for considering to help, Fly-By

PS- I have two+ years gaming; 45 shooters,12 RTS, 2TBS games, all as single player[multiplayer phobic]

Originally posted by Fly-By:

[1]- Playing demo as Allies, I notice the Axis units/infanty sometimes change from their original form into an Iron Cross, & then back again. What does this represent? [2] I finished my initial learning curve on "Chance Encounter" & am having difficulties with "Troubled Valley". I typed Troubled Valley in search on this site[under CMBO forum] but didnt come up with much that was specific to this mission.[but lotsa good conversation about game] Where do I go for suggestions on individual missions?

1.) The cross (or other national symbol) marks the last known location of a unit that you have lost sight of.

2.) Isn't the name of the other scenario in the demo "Valley of Trouble" vs. "Troubled Valley"? (perhaps a translation issue, if you're playing a non-English version). Try a search on "Valley of Trouble".

Also, there is a separate forum for scenario talk, you might try posting there.

- Old Dog

The single best way to learn the game is play it, learning from your successes and mistakes. It helps to know a bit about World War II weapons and their relative worth. For example, an American Sherman tank has very little chance against a German Panther at anthing but very close range (e.g. under 100 meters). However, the single most important thing to know is that coordinated use of combined arms (infantry, armor and artilary) is the key to success. You best learn how to accomplish this coordination by playing scenarios, like the two in the CMBO demo.

Chance Encounter will teach you to keep your unsupported Shermans a health distance from the woods, where infantry luck with hand held anti-tank weapons.

Valley of Trouble will teach you how to deal with the German pillbox that is blasting armor and infantry. What combination of smoke, flank with infantry and armor firepower will take it out or at least render it a lesser threat for a period of time.

Watch what the AI does with fire selection, laying smoke and enemy troup movements and placements, hiding and laying ambushes. Watch for what worked, what didn't and why.

Finally, realize that luck almost always plays a role. Even the best can go to pieces when you single Panther is killed by a Sherman who put a lucky round in its shot trap.

When I first came across this game and posted on this forum, a very nice gentleman offered me a PBEM game in the demo to help me learn how to play. I very much appreciated Moriarty for having the patience to do that. I would like to extend the same invitation to you, while you await the arrival of the full version. If you are interested, drop me an email at acepilot88@yahoo.com.

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

When I first came across this game and posted on this forum, a very nice gentleman offered me a PBEM game in the demo to help me learn how to play. I very much appreciated Moriarty for having the patience to do that. I would like to extend the same invitation to you, while you await the arrival of the full version. If you are interested, drop me an email at acepilot88@yahoo.com.

Thanks for the offer Ace Pilot! I just received today my bundle of CMBO & CMBB with heavy duty manuals.

Also, I have managed to rack up 8+ hours of game time on the demo.Though slowly learning, I still do not issue effective commands and barely manage a "draw" at battles end.

What does the PBEM game you mention contain? Is it more or less a "walkthrough" of sorts? I would very much be interested in that if so. Thanks for the cosideration. Fly-By

Originally posted by Fly-By:

Thanks for the offer Ace Pilot! I just received today my bundle of CMBO & CMBB with heavy duty manuals.

Also, I have managed to rack up 8+ hours of game time on the demo.Though slowly learning, I still do not issue effective commands and barely manage a "draw" at battles end.

What does the PBEM game you mention contain? Is it more or less a "walkthrough" of sorts? I would very much be interested in that if so. Thanks for the cosideration. Fly-By

PBEM means Play By E Mail. You email a turn to another player and he (rarely she) emails back. It's really by far the best way to play this game once you get the basics under your belt (and they will come with time and practice.) The other human vs. human method is TCP, which means real time play. You can often finish a game in a few hours. It's fast and exciting but not for the faint of heart. I still do PBEM 99% of the time.

Anyway, I was two-player phobic, too, at first, but am glad I got over it.

Meanwhile, if you're wanting help, you've come to the right place. This is the greatest wargame ever, but it takes some time to learn.

;)