Commanding captured units

In a recent PBEM, my guys captured an AT gun crew. In the next orders phase, I clicked on the enemy crew and found that I could give them a limited number of orders, including move, wait etc.

Without thinking much I gave them a move order off the edge of the map, but I wondered - what use could the captured enemy be put to? Should I move them or leave them be? Will I lose ant points by moving them off the map?

So you finally found out that you can give orders to captures crews? What did you to 'till now? Shoot them? :D

I usually move captured enemies to the rear to guard with not-so-important units like bailed out crews or mortars.

If you leave them in the combat zone two things can happen: if none of your units are nearby your enemy can recapture them, or they can still be killed. Since captured enemies give you more points than dead ones, you should try to keep them alive.

Unless you have some personal grudge against that certain Tiger crew, of course...

And no, you won't loose points when you move them off the map. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrene:

You get victory points by exiting any POW's you capture.

But is there a difference in points between exiting them or maintaining them somewhere safely on the map? I tend to think not, but I always send any I capture towards my map edge. Whether they actually exit before the game ends is another matter, however, due to the fact that I usually catch them late in the game, which doesn't leave much time for them to gain the map edge.

Michael

Please note: If you move a captured unit off a friendly or neutral map edge, you'll recieve the same amount of points for them as you would have if you'd kept them guarded in a rear area. If you move the detainees off a map edge that's friendly to your opponent, they are liberated and count toward your opponents "men OK" number when scores are figured.

It's always a safe bet to walk them to the rear (or whatever direction your troops can withdraw towards) and exit them.