Damn Gamespot! Anyone have the CMBB preview..

The excellent CM:BB preview done by Gamespot last year, in which BTS spoke at length about some new features is unavailable due to their crappy idea of becoming "subscription". Pesonally, I think that is a load of crap and that they will not survive for long, but this puts us in a bind. If anyone has a saved version of that interview, or if an old "cached" version is in your temp directory, could you please contact me for its inclusion in the CMBB FAQ?

**Note, to check if you have it in your temp directory, you must browse to its location WHILE OFFLINE!! I made the mistake of trying to get their while connected, and now the stupid "Give us money!" page has replaced the interview.

I am a little peeved at Gamespot over this. :mad:

Originally posted by Wolfe:

Gamespot UK

Google seems to have a number of copies.

- Chris

its still out there and its still free:

from

http://www.gamespot.co.uk/stories/interviews/0,2160,2089592,00.html

"Combat Mission: Barbarossa To Berlin Q&A

We spoke with Big Time Software president, Charles Moylan, to get all the latest details on the upcoming sequel to the original Combat Mission.

Page 1 of 5 next page»

When Big Time Software released Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord last year, it became one of the most critically acclaimed games in recent years, garnering a

lengthy string of glowing reviews and awards. Many feel that this tactical simulation of late World War II combat in Western Europe has single-handedly redefined

wargaming's potential.

Unlike most traditional wargames, Combat Mission presents battles in 3D, and it features an intuitive interface and an innovative turn-based/real-time game design.

During each turn, you take as much time as you like studying the battlefield and issuing commands to your units during an orders phase. After that, the actions of

both sides' troops play out simultaneously in real time during a one-minute action phase. The alternation between careful deliberation and dramatic action gives the

game a unique pace, and the meticulous attention to historical detail allows for great realism and tactical subtlety.

Now Big Time Software is hard at work on Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin . As in Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, the focus will be on company- and

battalion-sized battles, with units representing squads, weapons teams, and individual vehicles and field guns. This time, though, the game will center on the brutal

fighting between the Axis and Soviet forces on the Eastern Front. We recently got to talk with Charles Moylan, President of Big Time Software and lead engineer

and co-designer of Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.

GameSpot: What do you feel has been the key to Combat Mission's success, and how do you hope to repeat or build on that success with Combat Mission:

Barbarossa to Berlin?

Charles Moylan: It's mainly that we, as gamers, made a game that we really wanted to play, rather than a generic 'corporate' game that would (in theory) sell to a

mass market.

What that means is that we did a lot of research, got the military history right, combined that with a cool 3D graphics engine and novel hybrid real-time/turn-based

control system, never cutting corners. It took us a long time to build Combat Mission, and I doubt that we would have been allowed to take so much time crafting

the game if we were not independent. But since we are, we had that freedom, and I think it was a good decision.

We'll take the same approach with Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. That's why we don't have a firm ship date: we won't ship the game until we're satisfied

that it's truly complete. Combat Mission gamers are on our message board right now making suggestions, helping out with research, and contributing ideas. And we

listen to them.

next page»

Copyright © 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

GameSpot and GameSpot logo are registered service marks of CNET Networks,Inc."

Gamespot's recent decision springs from that fact that, at their core, they are a business, and businesses must generate revenue or die. Back when any business model with "Internet" somewhere in the first 3 sentences could garner truckloads of money, it could all be free to the user.

I think their plan is one of the better I've seen. All their content is completely free for 7 days after initial posting; after that 7 days, only basic content (the nutshell game reviews, etc) will be free; all else is fee-based. This way, users don't have to fear a situation in which they buy a subscription, only to see the quality of Gamespot's content nosedive (as so often happens when a free site experiences funding trouble). If Gamespot continues providing good stuff, they have a 50/50 chance.

One way to get around this is to visit the site a couple times/week and save any new content you like. It'll use a lot of disk space, but if you just gotta have constant access to the GrandTheftAutoIII cheats page, you either save it now or subscribe later.

DjB

GS, I think if people like GameSpot, and they're smart, they should pay for it or they'll lose it. People have been so spoiled by the free information available on the Internet, that when they are suddenly forced to pay for it, they act like they are getting a slap in the face. In fact, sites like GameSpot have writers, editors, designers just like a print magazine, but haven't been charging a price per "issue" and get nowhere near the ad revenue. What are they supposed to do?

When IGN started their "Insider" section, I paid for it because I liked the information the site offers, and for goodness sake, it's $19.95 a year. I also pay $14.95 to hear all of the MLB games online. There are a lot of things on the Internet that I find of value, and therefore I don't mind paying for them. I hope other people start to understand this - they have to have noticed all the sites that have dropped off the map as time has passed.