How many from Europe are buying from the US of A?

Manx

I am. Just wondered how many others have decided to go along the same path? I didn't fancy getting the European (CDV) version, so a very good friend of mine, or at least he is now (you know who you are!), offered to help me out by getting a virgin (untouched/uncensored) copy direct from BFC.

Hurry up "Vader" and get it to me quick! ;)

Well I couldn´t wait anymore and when I saw it in stores on Friday I went out and bought it. Using Waffengrenadiere instead of SS doesen´t really matter to me, maybe some usermade patch will correct this. And that some vehicles and uniforms lack swastikas also doesen´t ruin my gameing experience.

I don't mind CDV...they can do want they wanna do. But, IFAIK and IMHO, they have done FA for wargaming, whereas BTS/BFC HAVE. So, i want my money to go direct to them, given the fact that any sales in Europe means that CDV take a slice.

[ September 23, 2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Manx ]

Key guys,

if you post here that you ordered from the US via friend, I would be interested to hear why exactly (check one):

1) censoring

2) copy protection (no backup, maybe incompatiblity)

3) full manual

4) delay in delivery (England)

5) fear of bad translation

6) other (like throw more money directly at BTS)

And don't start a flamewar, we all judged each of these points to death.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Key guys,

if you post here that you ordered from the US via friend, I would be interested to hear why exactly (check one):

1) censoring

3) full manual

On principle. (1).

redwolf,

Firstly, i disagree with being forced into buying a "watered down" product from CDV, especially when i have followed BTS/BFC for a while now. I totally agreed with the sales mandate that BTS/BFC openly published on their website and was disappointed to see that they had gone back on some of the points that they were advocating.

At the end of the day, money talks. I hope CMBB is a huge success for BTS/BFC (they deserve it), but i still reckon they could have gotten this product onto European shelves without all this censorship business.

Originally posted by Manx:

I don't mind CDV...they can do want they wanna do. But, IFAIK and IMHO, they have done FA for wargaming, whereas BTS/BFC HAVE. So, i want my money to go direct to them, given the fact that any sales in Europe means that CDV take a slice.

Does the 'FA' stand for "****-All?" Just curious.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Manx:

Does the 'FA' stand for "****-All?" Just curious.</font>

I've ordered 2 copies via John (Tiger). CMBB will give me so many hours gameplay that shelling out a few extra bucks will mean nothing, and will avoid any growing irritation casued by the minor differences in versions. I suppose number 1 applies most to me then.

Pascal - there are still one or two people offering to forward games from the States. A thread was started here in the last couple of days by 2 more kind people offering their services. I hate to say it but you'll need to 'Do A Search' as I can't recall their names.

Daview - you just took me back to 25 years back to my school holidays with your sig :D

Key guys,

1) censoring

3) full manual

1,2,3,and 6 (no money to CDV, who made all the bad choices). And add in the DVD Box, that I *HATE* !

No fear of bud transduction, I planned to buy english version anyway :eek: , and as for delay it will be somewhat equivalent ( UK to France on 4th October - or - BFC to US pal then France on, well, tomorrow ? ;) ).

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Originally posted by Doodlebug:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Originally posted by Manx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Doodlebug:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Key guys,

1) censoring

3) full manual

I guess a few minor ones made me go for the US version.

1. Minor thing

2. My main reason. A few friends had experience from Sudden Strike and I wasn't impressed on how it was handled. Also have another game (other distributor) with the same copy protection that has caused me some problems.

3. I placed and payed my order before BFC offered us the complete manual. Doubt it would make any difference if I had known.

4. Local retailer said it would be october 7 in Sweden. CDV had the chance to get me the game almost three weeks earlier, but they didn't.

6. A small fear that there will be more surprices down the road. First the only difference was the runes. Then the SS test was replaced by WG. No problems so far, no news since CMBO. And then the release date difference (ok, german version was released 20/9) (this disappointed me) and last the manual (even more disappointed). BFC is in control of what they deliver, not what CDV deliver. CDV has different priorities than BFC, therefore I get the BFC version to make sure the right things are prioritised.

The main issue was that I suspected that the manual would be an issue, (never guessed that BFC would work around that problem, heh), so I decided to get a US copy instead. Lack of responsiveness from CDV was also a concern, I would rather stick with the old gits, so that I would know what I would get in terms of customer relations, etc.

Mattias

<<snip: reasons not to by the European version>>

1) censoring

3) full manual

Mainly 2) and 6). IMNSHO, only thing CDV and other non-standard copy protection using companies are good for is boycotting. I totally understand the reason why BFC decided to make a deal with them but still, I sincerely hope that they figure something else out by the time CM2 is ready - hopefully something closer to the original manifesto.

1) is also a valid point, with 3), 4) and 5) not being of any real importance for me.

Topi

Key guys,

1) censoring

3) full manual

I hope to get a copy from the US.

For me it was 1), 3), 4) and 6,)CDV's official wall of silence, except for Mr Z's posting on this forum (Anyone seen Pulp Fiction :D **joke**)

Also I suppose it's the Pepsi challenge effect. Let me try to explain. Does anyone remeber the advert when people were blindfolded and asked to try two different Cola's to see which one they prefered. When they didn't know what they were tasting they always chose Pepsi, where as if they could see what they were tasting then you could bet your bottom doller that they would choose Coca Cola.

My point being is that all the new customers CMBB will attract will be more than happy with CDV's version and help fill BFC coffers. I would be also but, having brought CMBO from BFC, I know that the original and the best is out there.

So to sum up, I don't want to "taste the differance", I want "the real thing" :D

Key guys,

1) censoring

3) full manual

I think the reasons for me as a German to order directly from BFC are mainly 1) and 3). Not to forget that I ordered CMBO directly from BFC, had perfect and fast service and want to support them more than CDV......and I am from Sep. 11th to Oct. 02nd in Canada anyway

I think thrashing CDV is really something we have had enough of and it is not helping us, BFC or CDV. redface.gif IMHO the same problems would have happened with every other big publisher (Look at eg Jowood and "1914 - The Great War": The game is already out in Germany since the beginning of August.....and where is the rest of the world??) So, if BFC is changing their publisher for CM II the next time all the Europeans are complaining about the next publisher.

Uwe B.