WW2 Books...

(No disrespect to BTS who has a fledgling book-shelf)

Ack! I basically have $50 to spend at a well known online book store that starts with the letter 'A' so I am trying to spend it, on WW2 books of course! I'm having a hard time though... (I have many of the basic and well-known books already)

Here are some options:

Grenadiers (Kurt Meyer)

Frontsoldaten : The German Soldier in World War II (S. Fritz)

**Seven Days in January: With the 6th SS-Mountain Division in Operation NORDWIND (W. Zoepf) - This one looks GOOD!

Kharkov 1942 : Anatomy of a Military Disaster (Glantz)

Panzers on the Eastern Front : General Erhard Raus and His Panzer Divisions in Russia, 1941-1945 (P. Tsouras)

Disaster at D-Day : The Germans Defeat the Allies, June 1944 (Greenhill Military Paperbacks) (Tsouras) Okay, just a little alt-history!

Hell's Gate (Nash)

Lost Victories (Manstein)

Grandfathers tale (Tim Erenberger) -- Anyone read this novel?

Now, I understand, I can't get them all, that's why I'm having such a hard tiime! Anyone have opinions on the above books, or could name a few more? Must buy books!

PL,

Check the online reviews at Amazon, and those at Stone & Stone. You could also try ePinions. Personally, I tend to give more weight to the negative reviews - anyway can see "gee willakers, this is the greatest book ever", but to write a reasonable and coherent review with a negative slant means - generally - that the reviewer knows what they're talking about and thus can pick out the bad points in the book*. If you feel comfortable with the points that the reviewer dislikes about the book, you can be pretty sure you will like the book as a whole.

YMMV

From your list, my picks would be in the following order:

1) Seven Days

2) Kharkov 1942

3) Hell's Gate

4) Panzers on the Eastern Front

5) Lost Victories

6) Grandfathers Tale

7) Grenadiers

8) Frontsoldaten

9) Disaster at D-Day

Of course, ask me next week and the order will have changed ... smile.gif

Regards

JonS

* Or any product for that matter. I used the same approach last time I bought a cell phone and have been very happy with the result smile.gif

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Frontsoldaten : The German Soldier in World War II (S. Fritz)

Crap. Only quotes incompletely and without understanding from books you can buy elsewhere.

Kharkov 1942 : Anatomy of a Military Disaster (Glantz)

Extremly dry and high-level. Couldn't read it although I started a few times.

Disaster at D-Day : The Germans Defeat the Allies, June 1944 (Greenhill Military Paperbacks) (Tsouras) Okay, just a little alt-history!

I'm really curious how that is.

Lost Victories (Manstein)

Worth having and good read, but shouldn't be the only book on the subject.

If you want to be near CMBO, there is a small booklet "Panzerjaeger - tank hunter" by folkestadt or so. Very rough book (production-wise), but a good impression of the buys behind the Pak40.

FRONTSOLDATEN is an ABOMINATION, do NOT buy that one. Read my review at Amazon; he quotes Guy Sajer most of the time and makes elementary errors that even an undergrad student wouldn't, such as quoting the same source 3 or 4 times in a row. Ick.

You have some GD books to be catching up on, too, young man...

[ June 18, 2002, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

FRONTSOLDATEN is an ABOMINATION, do NOT buy that one. Read my review at Amazon; he quotes Guy Sajer most of the time and makes elementary errors that even an undergrad student wouldn't, such as quoting the same source 3 or 4 times in a row. Ick.

[snips]

I've just finished "Frontsoldaten", and though I have read worse, I'm glad it's not just my opinion that it's a very poor book.

Not only does he use the same source several times in a row, but on occasion he quotes from the same passage only a few pages later. This produces an odd sort of "deja-lu" effect, which causes the reader to flick frantically backwards for the previous reference while temporarily doubting his sanity. The technique might perhaps appeal as a literary device to people who liked Alain Robbe-Grillet's "Dans le Labyrinthe". It's a bit bloody stupid in what's supposed to be a history book, though. Likewise, some kind of thematic arrangement of chapters might have been a better move than the apparent "stream of consciousness" the writer adopted.

All the best,

John.

If you're looking for a true first person narrative with increadible detail, then you have to get Donald Burgett's books:

Currahee: A Screaming Eagle in Normandy!

Seven Roads to Hell

The Road to Arnhem

Beyond the Rhine (I havn't read this one yet)

Some quick comments:

Grenadiers:

A good read, but if memory serves it's a bit sensational. Covers his service through Greece, the East & West front, and his prison time. Don't expect any discussions about strategy, tactics, or politics: this is strictly a personal account with lots of action sequences. Every D-Day book I've ever read quotes this book. I'd wait for a paperback version.

Lost Victories:

Very dry reading. IIRC, it contains an interesting chapter on Hitler as a strategist and comments on operation 'Sea Lion'. Stays mostly on the high level strategic view, but sometimes drops down to the operational. Contains little personal information.

Recommendations:

Decision in Normandy (Carlo D'Este).

Best D-Day account I've read. Excellent balance between what the allies expected and planned for, what actually happened, and how the allies reacted. Also discusses the relationships and feuds between the Allied commanders. Emphasis on the allied view point.

Of course, these are just my opinions: I could be wrong.

P.S. I second Pak40 suggestions. Great reading! Could not put these down, especially 'Seven Roads to Hell'.

After much research, I recently spent real money at Amazon to buy "Men of Steel" by Michael Reynolds concerning the 1st SS Panzer Corps in the Ardennes and east front in 1944-45.

I also bought "War on the Eastern Front: The German Soldier in Russia 1941-45", an interesting collection of pieces about different aspects of war for the Germans there.

They both look good, but I haven't had time to read them yet.

I just looked at Panzers on the Eastern Front this week. It looks to be a great book. From what I read it is at the unit level describing low level actions as opposed to ecehelons above reality stuff found in some of the other books you mentioned **cough**Lost Victories**cough**.

I believe it was originally written for the Armor School in the early 50s.

The maps are superb, btw.

As for must buy books?

1. Forgotten Soldier

2. Enemy at the Gates

3. Hitler Moves East

4. Scorched Earth

5. The Black March

6. Cross of Iron

7. Panzer an der Weichsel (German only)

8. Wenn alle Bruder Schweigen

9. Der Panzerdivision 'Wiking' im Bild

10. Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia