My First Battle Win!

As I don't know how to post a screen print in here of my first AAR, just a short summary. I guess I'm pretty chuffed I made a win, tho it might not be a big deal to most of you, anyway, I played the Scenario, "No Rest for the Weary" Part 1 and finished up as below:-

(I was the Allied Attacker)

Allied Attacker - 58 casualties (17 KIA)

Men OK - 182

Score - 88

Axis Defender - 124 casualties (40 KIA)

Captured - 33

Guns destroyed - 4

Pillboxes knocked out - 2

Men ok - 35

Score - 12

Axis surrender, Allied Total Victory

Ok, I won't do it again, ;) it's just that it's my first :D

Congrats! I recommend playing that entire series for a good set of training scenarios as they are small, short and provide varied attached units to your base infantry coy. You should learn a lot playing through those.

Originally posted by Agua:

Congrats! I recommend playing that entire series for a good set of training scenarios as they are small, short and provide varied attached units to your base infantry coy. You should learn a lot playing through those.

Yes, that's the reason I'm playing these scenario's, they were recommended by another poster as good for beginners!

Terence Well all I did was arty the hell out of Hill 202 and concentrated my infantry attack on the features to the west of it. After a preliminary bombardment, and use of smoke and terrain to get my grunts in a position to attack, we just did the Brit thing, "up and at em", thats where most of the prisoners surrendered under the weight of a two plt attack! :

Thanks also to the rest of you guys in taking an interest in e newbie blowing his own trumpet :rolleyes: )

[ June 24, 2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: athkatla ]

Ath,

Well, I'm sure we all remember our first victories too ;) . (Well, I don't actually but that's cause mine were a bit longer ago than yours ;) ).

FWIW though the smiley you are using is the "exasperated" smiley so some folks could read the last part of your message as being a sort of sarcastic comment. That is just for future reference.

Originally posted by Fionn:

Ath,

Well, I'm sure we all remember our first victories too ;) . (Well, I don't actually but that's cause mine were a bit longer ago than yours ;) ).

FWIW though the smiley you are using is the "exasperated" smiley so some folks could read the last part of your message as being a sort of sarcastic comment. That is just for future reference.

LOL, well I sure don't want to upset any of the guys on here, I have spent many an hour reading the "Peng" Threads and have seen the squashing of many a newbie poster by the elequence of the Grogs and Cess Mob's replies, whoever they might be, and whatever their names stand for. Anyway, I'm getting dangerously close to inviting a ripost from some of them, so I'll shut up till I consider myself a worthy opponent, and concentrate on learning more about the game.

smile.gif I trust this smiley is PC and not about to send anyone into a fit of uncontrollable rage ;)

Yeah, my first battle win was like 3 days ago in the demo. Chance Encounter on my first try, then after that Valley of Trouble on my first try, both as Allies. I got incredibly lucky on both of them, especially VoT. Fun, fun, I'd say an order of the full version is forthcoming.

Ath,

Just don't go into the Peng Thread ( aka the MotherBeautiful Pool) and post smileys ;) . I just about get away with it but, then again, I'm an Honorary Knight of the Pool and never been too bothered with "running with the crowd" ;) . Out here though those smileys are fine though IMO ;) .

BTW if you're looking for some pointers re: improvement I'd suggest the new AAR thread a few threads below this. It concerns AARs posted of games from the Rugged Defence Panther/76 tourney. The AARs shows several people tackling the same map and allow you to compare and contrast different styles of play. It really is very valuable teaching/learning material if you want to improve.

One thing though: Don't be daunted if it all seems a bit much. Ask some questions here and you'll get some good folks (and some who aren't ;) ) answering you.

Thanks Fionn I'll have a look at that thread, I have been lurking this forum for a while now, trying to pick up pointers here and there, but it's not the same as having the game and trying them out for yourself. That was the frustrating bit, reading evey one's post and waiting for the game to be delivered!

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Good show athkatla. Ain't it fun? I haven't tried that scenario either but will give it a try just to see how I'll do. Again, good going.

Thanks ICM 1947 I'm having great fun with every scenario I play, this truly is a great game :D

Originally posted by Khane:

Hi, athkatla

Try also "Any Port After a Storm " , the other mini campaign from the same author.An excellent way to train in very different kind of battles

An other good way to learn is to play PBEM.

Khane

Thanks Khane I'll certainly try that, after I have worked my way through the other 7 secnarios of "No rest for the weary". I don't feel confident enough yet to play a PBEM game, as I have had the game less than a week, and I don't want to show myself up, or annoy anyone I play with my somewhat naive tactics. I'm definitely looking forward to PBEM though when I feel I am up to it :D

Originally posted by athkatla:

... I don't feel confident enough yet to play a PBEM game, as I have had the game less than a week, and I don't want to show myself up, or annoy anyone I play with my somewhat naive tactics. I'm definitely looking forward to PBEM though when I feel I am up to it :D

athkatla,

Congratulations on your victory! It really is a great feeling when the AI folds and everyone on the map surrenders.

I've only played a handful of PBEM games so far myself (I'm in the new Newbie Tournament), so when you feel ready to try one, e-mail me at chardeaus@juno.com and we'll give it a whirl. There are only about a million scenarios out there waiting to be tried. Playing against another person really gives you a whole new appreciation for every last bit of detail in the terrain. Your opponent will almost certainly use every shred of cover against you.

Please don't be concerned about "naive" tactics. You never know for certain what will work. Unlike the real world, when you make a mistake here nobody really gets hurt. For which I'm eternally grateful.