Battlefront - Do you think you can release the patch this week?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by japinard:

Please! I'd ask that you stop adding new content, so you can get the patch released. Thanks. Really looking forward to it.

I've been thinking about this too of late. Generally I am pretty content to await BTS/BFC on these matters and let them do things their own way. It usually works out better that way. But lately I have been subject to a niggling doubt on this matter.

And that is that it seems that BTS wants to make this a one-time-only-blow-off-all-our-problems-at-once kind of deal. If so, I can foresee two possible consequences that I do not find appealing. One is that it's gonna be a huge download. One figure has already been bruited about: 25MB. I fear that the longer it is delayed, the bigger it is apt to be, although admittedly much of that space is likely to be new textures for vehicles that are presently having to share some.

The other and potentially more serious problem is that the patch will prove insufficient to fix all the bugs and glitches that have been identified in the program or are likely to turn up later. I have no doubt that BTS will do their best to address these in the impending patch, but it is just in the nature of things that it might take more than one try to get it right.

Well, I know BTS will do things their own way anyhow, and it really doesn't matter too much what I think or how I feel about the matter. I'm sure they have their reasons. For one thing, I think they are understandably eager to get on with the engine rewrite (which is likely the only thing that will cure many of the ills that we complain of) and stop frigging around with BB. But on the other hand, we are going to have to live with this thing for the next two or more years. Some at least of the irritation I've seen expressed in these pages with gameplay issues is serious enough to warrant close and prolonged consideration, if such would produce a better fit.

Just my 2¢.

Michael

Please! I'd ask that you stop adding new content, so you can get the patch released. Thanks. Really looking forward to it.

Wewease Bwian!!!! :rolleyes:

Guys, not to belabor a point but I'm sure they're not holding it back out of spite or malice.

"When it's ready..."

Hi Mom!!!!

There are eight different versions of CMBB out there (due to the languages and the CDV ones) as such it takes more than a little time to test them all and coordinate the patches. So drink a nice warm glass of SHUT THE HELL UP and wait with all the others. The patch will get released when I say so.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

There are eight different versions of CMBB out there (due to the languages and the CDV ones) as such it takes more than a little time to test them all and coordinate the patches. So drink a nice warm glass of SHUT THE HELL UP and wait with all the others. The patch will get released when I say so.

Madmatt

*CHEER*

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

The other and potentially more serious problem is that the patch will prove insufficient to fix all the bugs and glitches that have been identified in the program or are likely to turn up later. I have no doubt that BTS will do their best to address these in the impending patch, but it is just in the nature of things that it might take more than one try to get it right.

The patch history of CMBO is testament to the above.

Mind you, that's not stated as a critique. Nor does it mean that CMBB has to evolve to a comparable "version 1.12." Rather, that for the scope of this game and what all it attempts to do, it's inevitable for little odds & ends to show up in the game's nooks & crannies that weren't that obvious to find earlier on.

But through all of CMBO's evolution, it never existed in a state as to be relatively unplayable or having gamekiller errors. CMBO gamers for the most part were able to play on right through to the next patch version.

Does anyone else here remember the TV ad of Orson Welles hawking Paul Masson wines? "We will sell no wine... before its time." Such as it should be with the CMBB patch, of course, as the Mattster has now pointed out.

[ November 18, 2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Spook ]

With patches this large and complex I recommend that BFC release a "public beta" patch. THis has been done with other games (for example civIII) and seems to work fine. The advantage is that by putting the final beta through massive testing, rare bugs can be found. The more complex the patch the greater the need for a larger pool of testers. This can alleviate the need for additional patches in the future.

In addition, it would be a nice bone to the community

smile.gif

Just a thought.

W

I don't know Japinard as a person or much of his history on this forum. However, just from the actual text, his request was put in polite and respectful and complimentary terms.

To which he receives this reply:

So drink a nice warm glass of SHUT THE HELL UP and wait with all the others. The patch will get released when I say so.

The only explanation I can find for such testiness is that must be hell to have a successful product, and people who are genuinely eager to see new content and refinement.

Madmatt

I miss the ;) here!! I lose also my patience to get not only a patch, more for the promised shared vehikel bmps.

Originally posted by Shep:

I don't know Japinard as a person or much of his history on this forum. However, just from the actual text, his request was put in polite and respectful and complimentary terms.

To which he receives this reply:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> So drink a nice warm glass of SHUT THE HELL UP and wait with all the others. The patch will get released when I say so.

The only explanation I can find for such testiness is that must be hell to have a successful product, and people who are genuinely eager to see new content and refinement.</font>

Sure!

GlassOfSTFU.jpg

Japinard's statement was, however, cretinous and a waste of time. We all know the patch will be released when it's done, just as CM:BO was, and the patches for CM:BO, and CM:BB.
That's not quite true. BFC announced the release date of CMBB a couple of months or so before the event. Your assumption that everyone here on this forum knows what you know also falls short of the truth.

There is nothing to keep Madmatt from being polite to a customer and kind enough to issue a general statement on the status of their work in progress. Nothing except his own nature.

Shep - that is all correct, it is just ignoring that Japinard is asking about every two days now where the patch is.

I am beginning to think of it a bit like I would think of a kid in the back of the car on a long journey - 'are we there yet' 'are we there yet'. Does not get you 'there' any faster, but at some point you probably just want to shout at the little buggers. :D

Originally posted by Andreas:

Shep - that is all correct, it is just ignoring that Japinard is asking about every two days now where the patch is.

I am beginning to think of it a bit like I would think of a kid in the back of the car on a long journey - 'are we there yet' 'are we there yet'. Does not get you 'there' any faster, but at some point you probably just want to shout at the little buggers. :D

If this is true, Badmatt need only to close the thread insteed to flame around...

Btw. Murpes:

Who is drinking such a yellow pee..... :D

Well, the last time I checked I did not buy this game from CDV. I bought it directly from Battlefront. As far as I can see, I believe most people would rather have a patch released first, then add the extras in a second patch. Since I did not buy this from CDV, I do not understand why you feel you can not release the American version of the patch "now" or "when complete", and then the multi-language portions later whenever CDV gets around to it. As far as I can see this is YOUR choice... I don't know how CDV could not allow you to release one patch version they have absolutely nothing to do with.

To this end Matt, I have been an active part of Combat Mission since before the original's release (I had to re-register thus the high register # on my ID). I believe I've always been supportive and I have helped sell many copies of CM to my friends for you.

We'd just want the fixes in the game we currently play. It's easy for you to sit back and say, "shut up you'll get it when it's done", but then again, you have the fixes on your machine - don't you Matt?

Sometimes I think that developers forget how hard it is to be a gamer - checking each day for a long-awaited patch, and being forced to wait, and wait, and wait. Your patch updates talking abou more features being added is nice, but all it does is tell me that things are being delayed again.

Sorry for trying to remind you it's difficult to keep waiting.

The more I think about this the angrier I get. When I got an extra copy of CMBB I was so worried about Battlefront losing money I offered to ship it back to them at my cost (and I have little money being on permanent disability due to terminal illness) - I never opened it, and I never offered it on eBay.

And this is the thanks/support I get from them. :mad:

[ November 18, 2002, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: japinard ]

I am beginning to think of it a bit like I would think of a kid in the back of the car on a long journey - 'are we there yet' 'are we there yet'. Does not get you 'there' any faster, but at some point you probably just want to shout at the little buggers.

I've been on this forum since about its beginning. First as a lurker, and then as an occasional participant. I remember how Madmatt was before he was a member of the BTS/BFC team: he was an eager, frequent poster. He should have a great frame of reference for the kind of anticipation that we experience for a great product.

I've had my less than polite meltdowns here, so I think it's not at all right to condemn Madmatt. I hope my words are taken in a positive light. Their reproofs are intended as such.

The more I think about this the angrier I get. When I got an extra copy of CMBB I was so worried about Battlefront losing money I offered to ship it back to them at my cost (and I have little money being on permanent disability due to Cystic Fibrosis) - I never opened it, and I never offered it on eBay.

And this is the thanks/support I get from them. :mad:

Yes, shame on BFC for trying to treat all their customers equally! Boo! Hiss! They should bow to the demands of whiny gamers and ignore their manifesto.