Machine gun effectiveness vs. halftracks

roodboy,

Never ever, let German halftracks get near (500-600 meters or shorter) to any US 50 cal, infantry or vehicle mounted. :eek: :eek:

It is simple, if the German halftracks are foolishly placed anywhere around US 50 cals, the Axis halftracks will die. :D:D

US halftracks are great German halftrack killers. This fact & the Axis halftrack vulnerability to 50 cals makes the usefulness of German halftracks somewhat limited.

Cheers, Richard tongue.giftongue.gif

Yes I have taken both out. In fact I did a test to see the effectiveness of the 50 cal. a month or so ago. I did this because a member said he took out a Panzer IV with a 50. cal and I really doubted it. So I did this test.

Here is the link my test is the 5 or 6 message in the thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=022286

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Shatter ]</p>

German HT's are fairly safe from .50's if facing them dead on and being at least 150m away.

Getting any closer or turning is asking for trouble.

.50's on the ground might be more useful vs TD's and tanks than the vehicle mounted ones because they can hit lower on the armor.

Gyrene

The other day lost a Nashorn to a grunt .50cal at about 300m with a shot from about 10 o'clock. Don't know whether it hit the front or the side (it caused no hit message like shells do), but it got through none the less.

This probably came through the gun shield. But it does have the hull of a PzIV...

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Bullethead ]</p>

Just a few turns ago in a PBEM I took out a german HT with a .50 cal from about 400 meters. It seems like firing from higher elevation than the HT might help too.

My best .50 cal shot was taking out a Wespe from about 600 meters. That was one ANGRY opponent.

Don't forget that Wespes and Hummels can also fall to the .50 cal. That's the main reason that I take either SPW 234/3's or StuH42's for anti-infantry work - they can stand up to U.S. .50 caliber fire.

If you're playing Germans vs. Brits or Poles, then your worries change from .50 cal MGs to PIATS.