Bizarre Idea: CMBB with AH Russian Campaign

Dar

I was just thinking last night about how cool it would be if I were back in college and had infinite spare time to goof off again... I'd challenge a dorm-buddy to a combined game of Avalon Hill's "Russian Campaign" boardgame and CMBB, using CMBB's QB generator to resolve all of the combats!

For those of you who missed the joy of "Russian Campaign", it was a fairly simple, entry-level board wargame with cardboard chits representing German corps and Russian corps and armies simulating the entire East Front campaign in WWII. It's a true classic, and one I've held onto since I was a jr. high young'un.

I thought each point of attacker's attack strength and defender's defense strength could represent 100 force purchase points. If a Stuka counter were involved the German player would get, naturally, a Stuka in the QB.

Of course, the terrain, time of year, weather, and all that that "Russian Campaign" simulates would be entered into the QB parameters as well. And the force selection would be restricted to the type of units involved.

The only thing I haven't given too much thought to is the resolution of casualties--i.e. what level of victory in the QB equates to a "Defender Retreat", "Attacker Retreat", "Exchange", "Defender Surrender", etc. Perhaps a CMBB "Draw" = RC "AR", "Tactical Victory" = "EX", "Total Victory" = "DE"/"DS"... something like that...

All this further compells me, though, to request that BTS develop some overlying strategic or campaign game that could tie in the battles and give the player a feel that he's working toward some larger goal.

Funny you mention this. Because yesterday I decided to install my V4V games from Atomic. I believe they are computer versions of AHs game.

Anywho I am right now playing Velikye Luki battle, full campaign, as the Germans.

Right now I just got done encircling and eliminating a large portion of Soviets using the 83rd, 20th Motorized, and 8th Panzer. I setup the 83rd on the outskirts of the town to take the brunt of the hit. I put the 20th motorized and 8th Panzer to the south. Using the 3rd Gebs to shield them from Soviet forces coming in from the South.

After I finally got the 8th and 20th in place I launched my attack at dawn. I tore through the lines with the 83rd heading NE out of the city. This created a great opportunity which slowed my attack up by a day. But it split a descent sized spliter group off the already large Soviet force.

So I turned 80% of the 83rd to the NW and finished them off before sending them east to encircle the soviets. I took the 20th Mot and 8th Panzer and pushed east from their southern positions. After 2 days of fighting the 8th panzer and 83rd met up on the other side of the Soviets. While the 20th Mot smashed into their lines a little west of the link up. The encirclement was complete. I squeezed them as they tried to break out. Eventually most surrendered and the rest were decimated.

The soviets sent up a contingent of infantry to help from the south but the damage was done and by this time I had the 1SS I believe just setting up and using them I encircled yet another force of Soviets.

By this time the Soviets have shown up with large Tank and Mech forces. I am currently in retreat with the 83rd to get back into the city. While I am organizing the 20th Mot, 8th Panzer, 1st SS, 291st, 3rd Gebs and eventually the 1st FJ division to again break through SE of the city then turn full north to try and encircle he new forces the Soviets have shown up with.

It wont be easy and I am debating launching early because the Soviets forces are already on the outskirts of the city and the 1st FJ isnt due to show up for a day.

But yes it would be cool to try and adapt CMBB and These types of games smile.gif

LW

I used to have a whole slew of them--Squad Leader, Dauntless, Submarine, Panzer Leader, Panzerblitz, etc.

However, they were sitting in my parents' basement for the last 15 years collecting dust so I finally took them all and sold them on eBay.

I still kept "Russian Campaign" and "Up Front" (the squad-level, card-based game that is really a great game and a novel concept), but all the rest are gone. All those adult responsibilities took over and computers allow more flexibility and better fog-of-war simulation.

Many of my current friends aren't much into wargaming, but we do get together on occasion and I've got them to try some other boardgames like "Settlers of Catan", "Way Out West", and "Carcassonne".

There's some info on these and others at:

FunAgain games

Boardgame Geek

[ November 05, 2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Dar ]

aahh, the good ole days! i just went through my closet to see what i might still have. not much. 3rd reich, fortress europa, the civil war, ironclads(loved that game! always wished they had coverted it to computer), seekreig, and clear for action, the latter 2 being miniatures rules for ww2 ship battles. takes me back...

Re: AH wargames

Many such as Russian campaign ARE playable on the computer.

check out this site: http://209.216.35.193/index.htm

HPS Simulations markets a windows front end specifically for old grog games.

It's basicly a graphical front end that allows one to constuct a virtual hex map and counters,

- either via the editors or by scaning the images in - and then play the game on the computer.

You still need the rules, charts, tables to play.

It can do fog-of-war and line-of-site.

Various game module are available including old AH titles:

check out this site:http://209.216.35.195/

If I'm violating protocol by mentioning another software product I apologise, but I have a wife, 5 cats, and live in a cave here in NYC, I had to find a solution, thought I'd pass it on.