osprey publishing

dont quote me on this please, but the feeling i usually got from people who read them over at simhq was they were "history light" sort of books. good for broad sweeping stuff(like "the me262 was the first operational jet fighter") but not so good for the nitty gritty stuff. like stephen ambrose is seen here(by those who dont just consider him a lying cheating whatever).

They are historicly light. They are good books if you don't know anything about a specific battle or unit. I have one on Peral Harbor, the battle of Kursk, SDB Dauntless units of the Pacific, and 4 on German uniforms that span the whole war.

Be warned however, they have poor editing in many of them. I have found many errors in grammer (my spelling sucks so I probably missed a lot of those errors), and my Osprey book on Peral Harbor has many inaccurate pieces of information in it.

Like I said, they are a good introduction into a battle or unit, but not much else.

Thanks for all help, btw do you have any links to publishers that sell ancient and middelages related books also? I have had my share of ww2 related info for a time, and I am currently interested in

a) ancient era, romans and greeks

B) middel ages

c) napoleonic era military sea- and landpower

Most Osprey books are aimed at scale modellers and figure painters. They are usually heavy on photographs and paintings but light on actual history. They assume the reader is already familliar with the subject and is looking for photos of equipment or uniform paintings.

You would probably want to order books published by Routledge for Roman books. Most of my heavier tomes from my archaeology degree are published by Routledge. Be warned, though, they are heavy going. It seems that you can order online. just ordered a book from them about Carausius and Allectus (the 'usurpers' who broke Roman Britain away from the Roman Empire) and it set me back £65.00. The books are good though.

I recommend going to Amazon.com and looking up the volume you are interested. The reviews at that website are very valuable. Generally speaking , the Osprey series give an overview of historic battle with nice map and graphics. The quality is variable depending on the author.