Terrain Modelling

I was out and about on the weekend - weird I know, but there it is. Worse, when I got back my 'significant other' had removed the CMBO disk from the hard-drive :eek: Teach me to leave the house I suppose.

Anyway, as I said, I was out and about, practicing fire and movement for the first time in ages. The weird thing was, all the way through I was thinking things like:

* Is this 'woods' or 'scattered trees"?

* does this count as 'rough'?

* how could I reproduce that streamline?

* why is my section spread out over more than a 20x20m square?

* is this 'open' or 'brush'?

* how could I reproduce that little rise that gives us dead ground right here while we're on our bellies?

* damn! A first-line does disappear fast in a firefight.

* etc.

The addicition is complete - no longer am I comparing the game to real life, now I'm comparing real life to the game. I have been assimilated.

:(

Be careful, lest it happens to you. You have been warned.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

I was out and about on the weekend - weird I know, but there it is. Worse, when I got back my 'significant other' had removed the CMBO disk from the hard-drive :eek: Teach me to leave the house I suppose.

Anyway, as I said, I was out and about, practicing fire and movement for the first time in ages. The weird thing was, all the way through I was thinking things like:

* Is this 'woods' or 'scattered trees"?

* does this count as 'rough'?

* how could I reproduce that streamline?

* why is my section spread out over more than a 20x20m square?

* is this 'open' or 'brush'?

* how could I reproduce that little rise that gives us dead ground right here while we're on our bellies?

* damn! A first-line does disappear fast in a firefight.

* etc.

The addicition is complete - no longer am I comparing the game to real life, now I'm comparing real life to the game. I have been assimilated.

:(

Be careful, lest it happens to you. You have been warned.

Regards

JonS

Wow, I thought I was addicted but that post is over the top! smile.gif

Was that paint ball or Reservist weekend warrior training?

If you can never have the experience of real combat, I would guess paint ball is a close second. Its hard to comment because Paintball is really only "combat light" IMHO given that you know you won't die, (but it does hurt if you get hit up close).

-tom w

Nothing like reaching out and touching someone in a game of paintball (except maybe getting touched yourself...funny how you think you can get out of the way if you see one coming but you can't).

Anyway, this sounds like a thread from way back - if I remember correctly some guy posted that he was doing the same thing, evaluating the terrain, while he was traveling by car or train.

As far as paintball goes, I wouldn't exactly label it as combat...maybe it could be labeled as a full-contact, tactical game. Hell, I dunno..

Originally posted by DarthMaul:

I concur Terrence. But do you think paintballs count as "ammo"?

Hey, you could put an eye out with those things! And they can leave nasty welts! :eek: In short, if it hurts, even a little, it's ammo in my book.

Originally posted by JonS:

Welcome to the club. I started doing that over twenty years ago after I had been playing SL for a while. In those days I was still doing a lot of camping out in the country, and I would find a comfortable spot on a side of a hill overlooking a small valley to spend the afternoon just gazing at the scenery. Next thing I knew, I would find my mind drifting into speculating where would be the best place to put the AT gun and the MGs. Then I would switch sides and think about where to put the inf and FO and what route to use for the armor.

Ah, memories!

smile.gif

Michael