Big unfair advantage to player joining TCP games!

I've done a few CMBB TCP games where my buddy has hosted them, and I get a summary of the scenario parameters BEFORE I purchase my units.

The trouble is that we use Random terrain settings, and in the parameters summary it will actually tell me exactly what type of terrain I will be facing (open, flat etc.) while my opponent hasn't had this information.

He has to buy his forces blind and take his chance on the map, as all he knows is that the terrain is 'Random'. I read the summary and then purchase ultra long range units or swarms of SMGs because I know what the map will be like.

This seems like a major flaw, unless he's setting the game up incorrectly or somesuch.

As a workaround until this is fixed, why not have a gentleman's agreement that the 'host player' will wait to purchase units until he has received an email from the 'client player' describing the terrain, weather, etc.?

Until it is fixed, that is...

Preacher

Sure, we've made an agreement to avoid Random terrain in the future. However, everyone who plays TCP needs to know about this, especially if they play it in a more competetive environent.

I haven't played PBEM yet, does the same thing happen there too? If this is on the 'fix list' then I've missed it so I apologise if this is old news.

[ October 01, 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]

As a workaround until this is fixed, why not have a gentleman's agreement that the 'host player' will wait to purchase units until he has received an email from the 'client player' describing the terrain, weather, etc.?
Unfortunately this doesn't work, because the host has to buy units before the game gets to the stage of allowing the client to connect. By the time the client learns about the parameters, it is too late.

This is all news to me, in the mean time though, why not agree to the map with your opponent before the game starts, to make it more random, you both could swap off on picking different things, say like Player 1 chooses terrain, then Player 2 chooses time of day, then Player 1 chooses weather lather rinse repeat.

Bump. Yeah, I was saying the same thing in this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001586

This seems like an oversight by BFC. I love the new random terrain setting but I don't want to confer any advantages to my PBEM opponents.

-Sarge

[ October 01, 2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Sarge Saunders ]

Guys,

Why not generate a map in the scenario editor and

exchange it prior to setting the game up and then

import that map into the quick battle? That seems

to be the fairest way as both players can see the

map before purchasing units. I haven't done it yet, but it seems like a real good way to go.

Bobo