Strategy Guides... anyone know?

Hello pretty much new to strategy games, and new to CMBO and CMBB... was wondering if anyone knew of a online strategy guide for either CMBO or CMBB? Been playing alot of point PBEM games, and losing everyone of them. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I was in the same position just about a month ago and got some help from an AAR. The anthology is also very helpful but there is clearly a real need for a strategy guide for beginners new to this form of wargaming. For example it never occurred to me that before I should attempt a scenario it was vital to really study the terrain at ground level for ridges etc (which are not obvious from higher up as they are for example in Shogun) and also for obvious places to expect or to prepare ambushes. You also just have to know your weaponry and unlike Jane's Simulations you won't find all the information you need on the CD but will need to go on the internet. I had no idea, for example, what A StuG III was until my T34 got blown away with just one shot. But if you go to Google (or any of the links on this site) you will quickly discover that it is not as all powerful as the first experience suggested.

Now I know this must sound rather puerile to the grognards who are the majority on this site but they are about to be joined by a new breed of players who are discovering that Battlefield 1942 or even IL 2 Sturmovik really offer not much more than quick reactions and basic manouevres.

I am learning slowly but surely and I have found that asking stupid questions from time to time on this site is invariably met with goodnatured and helpful suggestions. So keep those queries going as there are many more like me, I'm sure, who have ambitions to be a real live gognard but have a way to go.

Cheers.

smile.gif

After doing some research and reading on some of the members suggustions...

I've discovered that my tactics are correct, (being Ex-Army for 10 years even in todays age you learn bounding overwatch and combined arms skills, and also being a WW2 History book and film reader/watcher nut)... but my problem seems to be picking the right units, since I mostly play point PBEM games...

So I guess my question would be... when picking your units for a point meeting engagement..how do you read the info bar on the unit, how would I know that a 88mm gun will take out this type of armor because they only have a certain amount of frontal/side armor...

Any help on reading that info?

Thanks again in advance... learning something new everyday.

;)

I played the game for a year and a half before venturing out and playing PBEMs against humans. These were mostly ME's where we would pick the forces. I knew what all the weapons and vehicles could do (reading WW II books) from a history point of view, but not in-game.

Chris's CM charts are a must have.

http://users.erols.com/chare/cm/

Print these out and staple them together to make a small booklet. Its like a field guide for CM. While you are in the purchase screen pull up the charts and view the vehicles stats. Picking "cool" tanks or weapons doesn't always work in CM. You have to have a different mentality.

For example, think to yourself, " I'm going to need some long range HE to take care of any of my opponents infantry". From there you look at the charts and find weapons or vehicles that match your need. Do price comparisons vs. pros and cons of the vehicles or weapons you will choose. Look at the blast value to see if this HE weapon or vehicle has a big "bang" to get rid of his infantry.

Think of your concerns on the battle field and then buy accordingly. Pick your forces for a reason, its like my old design professors would ask: "Why did you put that radius there"

and I would respond " cuz it looks cool". Doesn't cut it, never will

Also try some books:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0 760314012/qid=1036094375/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/002-3748855-1237630?v=glance&n=507846

I've got some tactics books from Amazon and they do come in handy. Its mostly theory, but its is applicable.

The site redwolf suggested above is probably the best site for these little tip and tricks

[ October 31, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Hoopenfaust 101 ]

I am a sub-grog I suppose. ;) I have played table-top since a kid (some 30 years) and have a fair knowledge of the equipment. However, I have found the following of use...

starting up the scenario editor,

picking kit you are unsure of,

then browsing the terrain,

clicking on the item and

hitting the return key to get its details.

You can look at both sides kit this way and compare. For points games this can be a real use, you also get to look at the things after all esthetics ARE everything... ;)

Hope this makes sense and helps

It can really suck your soul dry to have to actually go in-game and compare all the stats, i.e. firepower, ground pressure, turret speed, etc. - all the crap that doesn't appear on the purchase screen to buy a unit. It doesn't help much to know that both a Tiger I and a JS-II have "80-105mm" of armor (rough example) and NOT know that the JS-II's 105mm are @ 60 degrees to the Tiger's 10 degrees or what have you.

All the advice in the world won't beat practice. practice and more practice and preferably without departing from reality. I personally found Chance Encounter (CMBO or CMBB) a nice easy scenario to start with especially as the two sides are reasonably balanced. However I'm quite sure that sooner or later someone will publish "A Dummies Guide To Combat Mission 2" in time for its December launch in the UK.

Any takers?

:cool:

It occurs to me that whoever designed the AI for CMBB could produce a very handy short "Dummies Guide" just by applying the basic rules that form the code. It's 46 years since I did any serious coding (in machine language with just 8,000 bits of storage :rolleyes: ) but I imagine there are a series of basic Booleian algorithms that could be translated into some useful rules for those of us who have little of no experience of World War II gaming. I realise that the computer will do a much better job of scanning the terrain (to take an example) but surely the genius who did the original coding must be able (without giving too much away) to set out some basic rules.

Or am I totally up the breek??