Remote Controlled Bombs on Russian Front?

I was reading a text called 'Wermahct' from my local library follwoing the structure adn weapon systems of the German army. In the Russian Front section it had a picture and caption pointing out the use of Germans using experimental remote controlled bombs which were alot of TNT on small tank tracks which were guided by soldiers to mess up tank convoys etc.

Though they were not widely used that I found very interesting and wondered if it would be included in CM BB? Probably not I know.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by History Buff:

I was reading a text called 'Wermahct' from

my local library. In the Russian Front section

it had a picture of Germans using experimental remote controlled bombs which were alot of TNT

on small tank tracks which were guided by

soldiers to mess up tank convoys etc.<hr></blockquote>

It was nicknamed "Goliath", iirc. They were used

to reduce the Warsaw Ghetto.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

If the V1 rocket was so easy to pick/disable, then why did the British allow so many to crash into London? <hr></blockquote>

I guess the V2 did the most damage. I don't know the English technical terms - the V1 was this relativ slow flying bomb, similar to an aircraft, but the V2 was the rocket bomb with this nice black & white coating.

I'm not sure if it was possible to shoot down V2 rockets - I assume it was at least much more difficult to shoot them down then the V1.

You could not shoot down the V-2. There is footage from the gun camera in a Typhoon I believe attacking one just lifting off (came as a bit of a surprise to the pilot I think. It has been described by a fellow pilot as 'the most optimistic attack of the war.'

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Puff the Magic Dragon:

I guess the V2 did the most damage. I don't know the English technical terms

I'm not sure if it was possible to shoot down V2 rockets - I assume it was at least much more difficult to shoot them down then the V1.<hr></blockquote>

The V2 was a big worry for the Allies as it did tremendous damage and could not be countered other than destroying the sites they were being launched from.

The course of the military campaign in Europe was to a large extent dictated by the use of these weapons as the Allies tried hard to remove them from use. This is after the intial invasion.

A big worry. If there had been more or if Hitler had developed an Atom bomb and deployed it with these V2's then the war could have turned a different way. This is one weapon that we were very lucky it had hot been developed until too late.

America made big use of the technology and scientists after the war and this gave them a lead for some time over the Soviets who had captured some of the rockets but not the scientists.

H