BTS: Research Sources?

A question for BTS: Is there any way you could sometime post here or perhaps print in the CMBB manual the (primary) research sources you're using to help design the game? Yes, I realize the list would be extensive smile.gif

I think that would be extremely useful for those of us looking to expand our detailed knowledge of the conflict. Searching on your own for obscure contemporary documents and technical data can be quite a task.

Of which, does anyone know of any sites that host archived German military documents of the period? (Preferably in the original tongue.)

I remember Steve said he had bought a lot of books here http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/index.html Look through the booklist on that site and you'll find many, but not all the sources they used.

A search for Russian books or Eastern Front books will turn up plenty of titles. Here's one thread on the topic. http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014345

Yesh... the list is long indeed. I think Charles and I probably used over 200 books of our own, not to mention the dozens of people who have chipped in tidbits from who knows how many books/reports. There are also a few websites with trusted information, which at least can act as a 3rd or 4th source.

We will not be publishing a bibliography. That would be a lot of work and is one particular thing I HATED doing for research papers. I don't like clerical work smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

That ... is one particular thing I HATED doing for research papers. I don't like clerical work smile.gif

Ahh, you just have to stick around long enough to be able to cite YOURSELF at least 5 times! Then the effort is endurable ;)

Well, citing sources (as admittedly tedious as it can be!) is what helps keep scholarship going, and in a sense, it really sounds like the research put into CMBB--judging by the discussions around here--could provide both serious and armchair historians with some useful information. It seems like it would be a shame to keep all that hard-won info private.

We don't really keep it private. Actually, we do make recommendations and point people to sources lots of times. But unfortunately, many of these sources are out of print or are in general hard to find.

The best thing to do is find a couple of really good dedicated Military Book resellers. There are PLENTY of them here in the US, UK, and elsewhere. Cruising through their lists is where many of our leads come from. We also talk with the owners of the stores, as they often have knowledge/ideas about resources they do not carry or do not necessarily have on their lists.

Website searches for particular topics, Amazon.com for titles you are looking for, and places like http://www.bookfinder.com or dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/ are great resources for finding out of print stuff.

People can also go with "usual suspects" like Osprey's fine series of books, which aren't very expensive and do contain lots of little factual tidbits. They are often redundant, but still usefull.

Steve