Worst looking AFV of the War

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the truly ugly German King Tiger? Shermans look pretty racy compared to that overgrown boxy lump.<hr></blockquote>

Heresy! King Tiger has to be the best looking machine of the war, or if one was to cheat, second best after the JagdPanther.

And in the aircraft category 190 shares the first place with the Spit.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gimme a break. German armor is just plain boring looking. It lacks character. I'd take a Challenger any day of the week for pugnacious, bulldog-like grit.<hr></blockquote>

Oh, and I suppose you think sharks lack character as well? If there's one thing the German armor reminds me of, it is that killer of the deep, the shark. That sleek body, menacing contours, deadly arnaments - a good description of the later Panzer builds, me thinks.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by busboy:

[qb]The Bob Semple was armed with 4 machine guns, it was 12 feet tall had had a crew of 8 men. 8 men? I can understand 5, but 8?

<hr></blockquote>

God! I thought everybody knew this. The reason for the 8 crewmen was that 5 were needed to operate the "tank". The remaining three consisted of the rouster for the sheep, the shearer and the fleece grader once each "bitch" was done.

Don't you grogs know anything?

Regards

Jim R.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]</p>

CMPlayer

Interests: Anglo Saxon …

Posted 12-23-2001 03:56 AM

The three reasons I like American infantry over all other nationalities:

-chewing gum

-funny accent

-they're the good guys

Poste 12-24-2001 04:26 AM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the truly ugly German King Tiger? Shermans look pretty racy compared to that overgrown boxy lump.

Poste 12-24-2001 03:19 PM

Oh gimme a break. German armor is just plain boring looking. It lacks character. I'd take a Challenger any day of the week for pugnacious, bulldog-like grit.

Poste 12-24-2001 03:37 PM

Not only are Panthers ugly, but they are lousy tanks as well

Man… you are on a crusade !

It’s only a game, relax, they are just e- on your screen, and by the way, I also don’t think there are any neo-Nazis playing this game (they just don’t have the brain for it…), so there is no need to waist your time with such empty arguments ;)

I may even agree with the Challenger, it's an ok design, never the less it's to straight like the Tiger I...

I know taste is taste, but the Panther is ugly ?!?… The best WW2 tank DESIGN of the war…and you say it is ugly ?!? :eek:

Come on, talk to us, tell us the truth… When you were little you were going to the school and this big, bad Panther came to you and said: ”Give me your lunch !…or else ! “. Since then, it has never been the same, you fight all over the NET for the Anglo-Saxon tank lobby :D

PS- Specially when CMBB comes out, I’m eagerly waiting for your opinion on the USSR Armor… (T-34/85 the best “all around” tank of the war and the kind…)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tanaka:

I know taste is taste, but the Panther is ugly ?!?<hr></blockquote>

That's just a statement of objective fact. All you have to do is look at a crooked piece of wood and you know it's crooked. Look at a panther and you know it's ugly. Add the shot trap and the achilles' heel side armor and you've got an expensive box of steel with 'shoot me' written all over it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tanaka:

Since then, it has never been the same, you fight all over the NET for the Anglo-Saxon tank lobby :D

<hr></blockquote>

Okay, the deep-down ugly truth is that I think all tanks are ugly. I always firecrackered my tank models as a kid. They are ungainly as a rule and have no shape.If you want beauty in the WWII department it's the fighterplanes and the WAC's.

... Add the shot trap and the achilles' heel side armor and you've got an expensive box of steel with 'shoot me' written all over it.<hr></blockquote>

We were talking about design/beauty, but if you insist, lets go down that road then... :cool:

Indeed, early Panther models had a shot trap, and yes, the side armor in any Panther is weak for post 43 tank standards,but... you are forgetting the main issue! Wish is... even today the tanks are not supposed to give their broadside to the enemy, like a 1st/2nd WW Battleship ;) (they can go on that position if they are pretty sure there will not be incoming fire, like when outside enemy effective AT range… and/or they are limited by the terrain, like when positioned on steep hillsides)

So, in short, if used well, the Panther was a more then capable weapon platform... As a meter of fact, the same is true for any other weapon/gun/vehicle

In other words, it's the crew with full knowledge of the vehicle/gun/weapon real capabilities together with a good train that will make any machine proficient at its work.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Tanaka ]</p>