V 1.01 infantry : heroes are back ?

I don't know, but the first time I tried the patch (tonight) I got a total victory and my men didn't panic once..I don't know if that's just me but the battle seemed rather easy compared to the previous attempts with 1.0 where my men just panicked crazily. But I've been also improved though.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Guys, Im not sure if it will ease any minds, but the changes made to infantry in 1.01 are very small tweaks. You shouldnt be noticing any huge differences and if you are you may just be using more successful tactics or having a little more luck than previously. smile.gif

Dan

i was wondering about that after my earlier post here... it could be that my tactics in the woods had improved between games... this sort of thing definitely requires more testing ...

i think we'll find our tactics & patience has improved dramatically since the early battles of version 1.0. I know mine have after a few short sharp painful lessons! I'm now so overly-cautious that the time/turn factor in most scenarios is more of a problem than ever. Moving infantry forward is now more laborious as i do not move anyone without numerous cover-arcs supporting and covering squads ready in overwatch. Patience is definitely the key factor, i find the one turn i try to hussle up, is the one turn i get creamed from all the hidden units!

One question regarding the title of this thread..is it possible to get heroes/heroics using infantry?..has anyone experienced a very heroic infantry action where the squads performed gallantly?..ie a squad taking on mg nests/bunkers/positions. After all, thats what we wish our bitmap troops emulate...'heroes under fire'. I haven't yet in my early 41 battles, perhaps you need the later years crack troops?

Originally posted by -E:

the squads panic, un-ass from the half tracks and start trying to sneak all the way across the map (and toward danger to boot!). I ordered them back in the half tracks. They complied, then did it again the next turn! I ordered them back in the half tracks for the second time, thereby they decided to listen and did stay inside until ordered to exit a few turns later (after moving the half tracks to their destinations).

Hmm, the AI exibited the exact same problem with me...under heavy fire my units tended to try to sneak towards the firefight every turn...

Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

is it possible to get heroes/heroics using infantry?..has anyone experienced a very heroic infantry action where the squads performed gallantly?..ie a squad taking on mg nests/bunkers/positions.

I tend to consider that every squad with more than 2 or 3 casualties and is still fighting is somehow heroic...

Hmmm, okay, maybe 'heroic' was the wrong choice of words, how about 'beyond the reasonable call of duty'? What i'm really trying to get at, is emulating the feats of the men whose accounts you read constantly, who through shear will and/or fighting for their lives, overcame superior numbers or a seemingly impossible mission. Perhaps it is beyond the scope of any simulated battle, merely because they are human endeavours.

'Thin red', you seem very fatalist, have you real (and bad) experiences?..'scuse me asking.

edit: Also your statement above about 2-3 casualties in a squad hardly reflects the situation in the East during WW2, maybe a modern environment, but not then.

[ November 29, 2002, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: JaegerMeister ]

I've read numerous accounts about WWII, many are telling heroic stories, but i'm not sure how they reflect the average combat experience of men at war.The Naked and The Dead by N. Mailer is much closer to reality, if you ask me.

And personnaly i've no combat experience, only very good memories of my military service in the South Pacific (French Navy). :D

edit : good remark i agree it is subject to discussion especially for the East Front (but not the Western Front IMO).

[ November 29, 2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

It was never so easy to wipe out whole enemy inf-companies as with v1.01 !!

Had a russkie company (regs - cracks) attack a german company sized force in wood-scattered-tree terrain(80-100 m LOS at max), mostly cracks with 2 HMGs, a 150mm Fieldgun and 2 flamethrowers. After two turns most enemy units were pinned, so i started an immediate counterattack using the beloved advance command (rushing a reserve platoon into the rearflank during turn 2). The result after turn 3 was 1 single enemy squad fleeing, everything else wiped out and had not more then 10 cas myself. Things like that were impossible in such a short timespan in CMBO where one could fire with a platoon at an enemy surrounded squad for several turns even taking casualties and burning all ammo. Inf is just great now (well with the exception of the HMGs which cannot sneak more then 5-6 m without becoming fatigued which is quite strange to me)

I noticed something other interesting during this game. The russkies were firing 152mm barrages onto a bridge, 150m from the bridge there was a ford where i tried to haul a platoon over with move command. The whole platoon panicked and lost cas. because of the 152mm shells landing 150 m away. So shrapnel effect must be in the game because blast can never create such effects at such a distance.

I used the advance command after this and lost not a single soul and no one panicked !

Greets

Daniel