Armoured cars - deathwish?

Not sure if this has been covered before but how come the AC's do not use their own initiative to reverse out of fire/LOS when in serious trouble as the AFV's do ? If anything, bearing in mind their task is usually just to identify enemy positions and avoid a stand-up fight, they should be even more inclined to get out of there than the AFVs'. Even more so with the German ACs with a driver at each end of the vehicle, obviously designed for that very purpose.

Could this be implemented in a future patch? ie reverse or lay smoke.

Is that true?.. i have deliberately watched my AC's in the last few battles and none of them evaded incoming fire or retreated voluntarily.

Last night i even had a PSW 222? try and slug it out with some T26 tanks that opened up on it from long range (700m ?), it made no attempt to back up out of LOS. The same has happened with the 8 wheeler and other PSW cars. One even advanced into a heavy arty barrage whilst in middle of a 'hunt' drive and it was open topped !

I would bet on any 20mm armed German AC vs T26s inside 1000m. Higher ROF, better gun, better optics will give the krauts an edge in that matchup.

For a good example see my High Noon scenario at Boots & Tracks. Early versions had more german A/Cs and Pz IIs vs many more soviet light tanks. I gave up after I saw 10 20mm armed german units taking out 30 soviet units without much of a loss.

WWB

I also have ACs rarely automatically get out of LOS when in danger. Normally, I often like my units to stay for the fight if there is a chance to kill the enemy, but this AC stayig business has an annoying side effect: the vehicle will turn to the opponent (gun or tank), with the slow CMBB turn rate. At the next turn, when I order a retreat, the retreat is considerably delayed because it needs to turn back first (assuming I want to get out of the same way I got in, which is usually true for armored car which I like to keep on roads).

[ December 04, 2002, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Mine nearly always reverse when fired on. I know this, because I override the reverse command and make them fast move somewhere useful.

They're real fragile, so if they get hit, they're out of it, and sometimes they don't have time to reverse (killed on first shots). Is that what you're seeing. If it gets to a second turn, they're always reversing in my games. And I've NEVER seen them take on a tank, the game has a code in it which seems to prevent units from firing uselessly on another target, unless you order it.

[ December 04, 2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Terrapin ]

Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

Is that true?.. i have deliberately watched my AC's in the last few battles and none of them evaded incoming fire or retreated voluntarily.

Last night i even had a PSW 222? try and slug it out with some T26 tanks that opened up on it from long range (700m ?), it made no attempt to back up out of LOS. The same has happened with the 8 wheeler and other PSW cars. One even advanced into a heavy arty barrage whilst in middle of a 'hunt' drive and it was open topped !

Maybe Hitler gave the "stand-and-fight-or-you-die" order. ;)