Effective Engineer Use

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CombinedArms:

A happy outcome for me--and it was cool that both squads really used their weapons as I meant them to--but also chastening that at 20 meters it's still possible to miss w/ three out of four of these babies. The Hummel moved slightly to reposition itself to shoot at the Hellcat, which might account for some of the misses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That and the fact that the charges would be pretty heavy (see an earlier post). Trying to toss them around would be far from easy, plus the engineers would want to make sure they didn't catch each other in the crossfire by mistake.

I'm only guessing, but I'd think that in combat situations, it isn't easy to throw a heavy pack while being shot at.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

What is sort of sad is that I didn't know they could clear barb wire until reading this thread. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me neither. smile.gif

I tried it in a recent scenario, but couldn't get them to do it. Clearing mines I can do. Should wire be handled the same way? Should you move the men into the wire maybe?

• 5 months later...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Krinks:

That and the fact that the charges would be pretty heavy (see an earlier post). Trying to toss them around would be far from easy, plus the engineers would want to make sure they didn't catch each other in the crossfire by mistake.

I'm only guessing, but I'd think that in combat situations, it isn't easy to throw a heavy pack while being shot at.<hr></blockquote>

So, being a newbie, I have probably a silly question: To get the engineers to throw at the proper/better range, especially in open ground, you would run the squad up to the desired range, say 10m and then have them stop? or do you just place multiple waypoints into the range with exits to cover and hope the engineers threw at the 'right' time?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by toran29:

So, being a newbie, I have probably a silly question: To get the engineers to throw at the proper/better range, especially in open ground, you would run the squad up to the desired range, say 10m and then have them stop? or do you just place multiple waypoints into the range with exits to cover and hope the engineers threw at the 'right' time?<hr></blockquote>

The former. Stop them close to but not right on top of the target (if they're too close they may not use the charges because they'd blow themselves up.) You basically have to have faith that they'll actually use the charges when in range, and most of the time they will.

Also, when removing mines, you need to be right next to but not on top of them. Daisy-chain mines will disappear promptly. Others may take a turn or two.

I note it was claimed above--months ago-- that engineers will clear barbed wire, but I'm not certain if that's true. Does anyone know for sure? Does it involve the use of demo charges, or is it an innate engineer thing? Would other infantry equipped with demos--as sometimes happens-- also be able to clear barbed wire (or mines, for that matter) or do they just use them as weapons?

great reserves.I usually mount them on HT's or tanks or APC's. Great for breaking the main offense of the enemy or punching and holding open holes in the enemy line.

The FT's are great or making sure the enemy won't or half the time-cant use certain area of the map, once routed half a company in woods with them.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by l3w53r:

The FT's are great or making sure the enemy won't or half the time-cant use certain area of the map, once routed half a company in woods with them.<hr></blockquote>

I can never seem to get my FTs in a good position to be used. They're such high-priority targets that they usually get slaughtered by the time they get anywhere near where I want them. The other thing that happens is that they're so slow that they fall way behind the main force and are ineffective.

I guess I should start mounting them on trucks or other vehicles and drive them into position. I generally don't use FT teams though unless they come with the scenario. I've had marginally better luck with FT equipped vehicles--but again, they're high up the target priority list.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen Engineers taking out AFVs a lot of times. Most recently in VoT. Just had to replay that classic demo scenario. smile.gif

The satchel charges are much better than the usual grenedas when dealing with tanks and the like. Get in close and with the entire platoon. Make sure that baby is buttoned first.

What I really like are the airborne troops with their gammonbombs + hefty firepower. No FTs though.