reconnaissance / fog of war

> It is true there was some discussion on the

> Forum about Briefings containing Scouting

> Reports. But this won't happen unless there is > a standardization of Briefings. I am not sure I > would trust them anyway. Every soldier scoffs

> at the intel report of "Expect light

> resistance"

Briefings sometimes do a pretty good job of telling you _what_ you're up against but usually next to nothing about _where_ the targets are which is what all the opening-game scouting is about.

I don't think location info in an author-written briefing is any good, because that ties players into using scenario default set-ups. The brifing info also becomes obsolete after the 1st time the scenario is played.

How about the _game_ itself throwing out some intel tidbits to an attacker after the forces are placed but before the shooting starts to simulate the reconning? This would seem to me the best (and coolest!) way to reduce the amount of recon necessary by main force units.

To answer the original question, it depends on what you are playing. If its a QB, I dont spend all those points on vehicles to recon, rather, get a small platoon. Split them all up into half squads and fan them out. Thats been my tactic since the CMBO days. Also, place extra HQ's on overlook position NOT HIDDEN. They have binoculars that aid them in spotting, and you can tell a difference. Hidding reduces spotting considerably. Hope this helps. Just hope they dont have a HMG set up at long range! You can never spot them no matter whos looking!

Chad

Impossible for the author and for the computer to do. Why? Free to place units. Doesn't make sense to put in the briefing a squad was spotted in the factory when the opponent then moves it someplace else.

Besides that, a lot of the battles I did were breakouts, or counter attacks, where recon was NOT conducted. Kind of a let's keep going and see what we run into type of thing.

Also, anyone want to guess how often recon intel was out of date, or things changed on a fluid battlefield?

Rune