Marketing Strategies for Scenarios.

How do you get people to download YOUR scenario?

1. Quality control. Join a group like B&T or DK. They work hard to ensure a well researched, balanced scenario. I've rarely been disappointed.

2. Advertise on the message board. Do you know about B&T's Stalingrad add-on? Bet you do.

3. Alphabetize. Make sure your scenario starts with a number or the letter "A". Just like "AAA Painting" in the phone book, people choose the first thing they get their eyes on.

4. Make it "Historical" or "Semi-Historical." Most do not care either way, but many players will pass completely if it is fantasy.

5. Use SS Troops. Mention "Totenkopf", "Viking," etc...in the title. A player once told me he loves to play against them. There is a strange attraction...

6. Others?

Originally posted by Atlas_TH:

How do you get people to download YOUR scenario?

1. Quality control. Join a group like B&T or DK. They work hard to ensure a well researched, balanced scenario. I've rarely been disappointed.

2. Advertise on the message board. Do you know about B&T's Stalingrad add-on? Bet you do.

3. Alphabetize. Make sure your scenario starts with a number or the letter "A". Just like "AAA Painting" in the phone book, people choose the first thing they get their eyes on.

4. Make it "Historical" or "Semi-Historical." Most do not care either way, but many players will pass completely if it is fantasy.

5. Use SS Troops. Mention "Totenkopf", "Viking," etc...in the title. A player once told me he loves to play against them. There is a strange attraction...

6. Others?

offer to have a forum member's name in it.

make it unique in some way:

a huge mountain, blow up a bridge, make it really really short, something.

provide links in your signature.

offer to review a fellow's signature and post an aar if he does the same for you.

Carve yourself a niche. It works (doesn't it, Russell?).

On the topic of Historical/Semi-historical. I would disagree that a fictional scenario will be passed over by any quantifiable number of people. The trick is to make it interesting, original, playable, and attractive to look at.

DO NOT publish your first attempt(s). Keep designing until you feel you've got something that will deliver some manner of :eek: . I think I went through twenty before I came up with something I felt others would really appreciate. And personally, if one scenario from somebody turns out to be a dud... I'm not downloading something next to that individual's name again. Most people don't have time to play everything out there, so they'll go with a "tried and true" author over one who has disappointed them previously.

Originally posted by Clubfoot:

DO NOT publish your first attempt(s).

Funnily - 49th Recce is the first scenario I ever did, and I have not changed it. Seems to have stood the test of time well, if I may say so myself ;)

Regarding the suggestion on quality control, to 'join' a designer group. Not wanting to sound elitist, but Die Sturmgruppe, the group operating through Der Kessel, is invitation only. Nobody will stop anyone setting up their own group though, which is what Dick Reece did with Die Sturmgruppe.

Yes, the idea that you can just join a design group is off. The reason why people like battles made by groups is that, most of them are known for making good battles, even before joining. Also the point about not using the first try isn't always true; sometimes as they say first times best.

Originally posted by Atlas_TH:

Hmmm... not sure joining a design group is actually a possibility for most. DK is invitation only, and I believe B&T is also. What you get from a design group is a number of similar minded people collaborating on scenarios. If you take a broad general look at the work of DK or B&T, you will see that scenarios from each group so similarities in design philosophy. Neither is better, just different. Best approach would be to take a look at which designers seem to design in a similar way to you and then try to gather them together and start your own group.

On a different subject, I must say that this talk of 'marketing' scenarios bothers me a bit. Does anyone really care so much that there is a need to market? I work close with advertising, so the concept of marketing equates to slimy to me. If people play scenarios I make and like them, that's great... if they don't, that's too bad, but I don't take it personal. I don't design to win any popularity points, I design because I enjoy doing it. if I were to start actively marketing, it would become a job and I would no longer enjoy it. Oops, sorry for the rant

[ October 18, 2002, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]

I think 'promoting' is a far better word than marketing.

The best way to promote a scenario is, if you do not have a track record, to ask the playtesters to post a review on the Depot. If it is even-handed, and not done in a fanboy-fashion (which would probably be seen neagtively), that is a good way to make sure it receives some attention. The reviewer should always identify if they were playtesters or not.

It's still under development and I've been working overtime to get it finished, but eventually my site will offer a place for scenario designer's to have at his disposal, playtesters for their scenario with feedback from those playtesters.

With backing from Admiral Keth at the Scenario Depot, my site is the place for the unproven, untested and in the rough scenarios but hopefully a place where those scenarios can become polished and fit to appear at the Scenario Depot.

Should my site become popular enough, it would become an excellent marketing tool to get the word out on new scenarios, scenarios under development and scenarios that may be just about ready for prime time.

I'm wrapping up the databasing for the mod's section and then will begin the scenario Author's administration/profile area and then onto the scenario housing and rating system.

Link is in the sig, stop by, I welcome your comments.

GJK

Speaking from the viewpoint of your audience (I am an avid and long term CMBO/CMBB fan who regularly checks for & downloads new battles and operations, but have not yet designed one), here are my thoughts in no particular order:

1. Post in on the Scenario Depot and it will be found.

2. Make it is fun to play. This usually means relativley balanced forces, considering the mission, weather and terrain. Also realistic twists in the plot. such as reinforcements for both sides at key time and (realistic) locations are a major plus.

3. Especially make it fun to play against the AI. A good (but not great) player should be able to win, as well as lose, without any adjustments to the battle/operation.

4. Something needs to happen in no later than the third turn (minute).

5. Unless the battle is very small, use mixed arms elements on both sides (unless you are going strictly historical).

6. Ask yourself, would your average CMBO/CMBB fanatic want to play it and have fun doing so? The answer had better be yes.

7. Play test it if possible. A second (or third) set of eyes/brain can be very helpful. Even your own second look after you go to bed or wait a few days will give fresh perspective.

8. Whether you follow any of these sugestions or not--thanks for your efforts and sharing them with the rest of us.

[ October 19, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: jagcommander ]