The expression "good ground" and similar idioms..

Musings...

Maybe its just me, but when I size up battle field maps in CMBO or any wargame really, I can't help but looking at them with US Civil War 'glasses' on. So I look for the 'good ground' and think about getting to a position 'the fastest with the mostest', and use other civil war expressions.

Or maybe it is just that the tactics are timeless but I like the romanticized vocabulary. I find it somehow less appealing to use modern day or WWII tactical or operational expressions.

The coffey tastes better when the Toads are downstream.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Runyan99:

Just like to mention that I sure would like a Combat Mission: Beyond Bull Run.

And the attendant flock of grogs telling you why it should really be Combat Mission: Beyond Manassass....</font>

From Zitadelle:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Just like to mention that I sure would like a Combat Mission: Beyond Bull Run.

And the attendant flock of grogs telling you why it should really be Combat Mission: Beyond Manassass....

A correction from Northern Virginia where we are not far from those that are still fighting the "War of Northern Aggression," and where the battlefield is all of five miles to my west-

It is spelled "Manassas."

It won't be the grogs wanting the correction; it will fall across the Mason-Dixon line instead (my roots are actually with the Minnesota regiments).

I have to agree with you there, Zitadelle.

With respect to CMBO: Manassas, I have a CMBO mapboard of Gettysburg that someone e-mailed me several months ago. I played a meeting engagement on it as the South (conveniently using German-made weaponry ;) ) and the Yankees won again. (Damn!) :(

Pickett's Charge (with Tanks) doesn't work too well against AT Guns.......

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Try getting penetration data for Minie' balls and Dahlgren guns.

no problem there. everything penetrates(unless of course, they add ironclads to the game. oooh, that would be cool!). it's the "to hit" tables that will be tricky. lol...

From Zukkov:

when bts decides to take on the war between the states(not the civil war. nothing civil about it!), i just hope they don't forget Lee's Grenadier Guard, the TEXAS BRIGADE!! YEEEEE HAAAAWWWW!!!

Right on!, Zukkov. My Great Great Great Grandfather and his brother were both officers with the Texas Brigade. One was with the First Texas and the other was with the Fourth Texas. They were both in action on July 2nd, 1863 at Devil's Den and Little Round Top, and fortunately they both survived the war uninjured (lucky for me).

My Dad's best friend is a direct decendant of General Hood. They (The Texas Brigade)were some of "the fightin'est men there's ever been"

[ May 18, 2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: wbs ]

well as for my great great grandpappy, he died in '56, and my great grandpappy wasn't born till '54, so don't look like any of my grandpappies on my dad's side did any fightin' in the war between the states. hell, they were all too busy begattin' if you ask me. my aunt sent me the family history traced back to 1640. i got more relatives than you can shoot with a fully loaded machine gun! we're dutch by ancestry, but don't hold that again' me! lol.. i'm all texan! yeeee haaaawww!!! tongue.gif