Hey Fionn

Originally posted by Fionn:

Why do I get the feeling that you and Mike are gonna be coming up with some sort of top ladder knockout tourney or somesuch ;) ?

Evil, evil guys ;)

Unfortunately the rugged defense guys refused to participiate in a shootout between them, tournamenthouse and band of brothers lately when asked by a neutral party, no reasons given.

The rules proposed by said neutral party were probably in favour of TH, but were marked negotiable.

" The rules proposed by said neutral party were probably in favour of TH"

Probably why RD demurred.

To set any such tourney up would require a fair degree of balance and negotiation between the heads of the various ladders/groupings involved. If there was even a whiff of the rules favouring one ladder or other you can bet people would drop out.

Redwolf,

I'm familiar with that thread at TH. OTOH let's face it... The RD guys didn't know any of that. They just got given a challenge and a group of rules they probably felt were biased towards RD.

Sure they could have been negotiated to fairness etc BUT I think that just underlines the need to have a lot of communication for something like this. Some ladders place a lot of stock in their being "the best" and so there would be a lot of pride at stake. I think that therefore any such tourney would need to be well organised and entered into slowly.

Anyways it is just my opinion. I'm no major part of any ladders in any case so it doesn't concern me.

Originally posted by Fionn:

...I just don't want people thinking I've promised something I haven't and then feeling betrayed later on.

At least I am not taking it for granted, and was not trying to get anyone to write an AAR up on this, (even if I could ;) ). Not knowing Skelly is as a high ranked played over at the TH ladder site... well I just thought it was sort of interesting challenge to see here just at face value.

Now that you mention it, *IF* there was an AAR I should enjoy reading it. They are very interesting.

Gentlemen,

May I kindly refer administrators-to-be, possible players to the "TITANS" post?

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=024983

It will be the biggest (in wine prizes) and last CM event that I will sponsor on this bulletin board. Looking for posts to fill there.

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

[ June 01, 2002, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

This should be a tough match. Long time, no see, Fionn... ;) I've become sort of a lurker; busy with other CM things, awaiting Airborne Assault, etc. Quite a good AAR you've got going with Warren.

Before I make any bets...who's playing what side? I thought I'd be able to automatically determine this, but in Fionn's latest AAR, he uses allied troops. Imagine that... smile.gif

Hiya Sos,

Thanks for the welcome mate. As re: the game with Skelley. I truly don't know who is playing which side. I "think" Skelley might be the Germans.

To be honest I find it amusing that this myth has grown up that I only play the Germans. 4 games out of 600 is not a solid trend ;) . Hell, in two of those games I was ASKED to play as the Germs because they others really wanted to attack as the Allies.

I'd say I play pretty close to half my games as the Allies. Right now I have 3 PBEMs going. In two of them I am defending as the Allies. The other is an ME.

Hey Smope!

Are you sure you wanna risk that much dough? I think we are switching sides and replaying the same map. It is an infantry battle with an arty limit of 120mm. It should be a great game. I think it is 3000pts.

IMHO warrens forces are too close together in his MLR. He has guns in the same positions as his troops. He gives you the village and has TRPs in the village. but he only has 120mm mortars and 81mm mortars nothing really strong enough to do damage to the buildings unless he drops his whole load. also with 12 M8HMC and 7 spotters it would be fairly easy to kill those Fjs with minimal retargeting because the are fairly close together.

Originally posted by WineCape:

Fionn,

I'm happy to sponsor a double round match in the near future (playing Axis and Allies against the same opponent on different maps) to settle THE CHAMPION once and for all. It will be at most a 4/5 man tourney, consisting of the Champions of other tournament websites [Wreck, Ghost, Swamp etc.]

If interested, let me know.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

Hey Charl....whoever said that Fionn at al were any good at playing Hasbro's "Axis & Allies" game? If that's what is being played then I wouldn't mind a piece of the action myself.

Finally a game that is dumbed down enough for me to do well at! ;)

Regards

Jim R.

Skelley,

Interesting. I see where you are coming from but I have a question: Do you play many games with 12cm limit on arty? I ask because I've only ever found 12cm useful for point targets ( single platoon) etc. Once you go up to 155 etc then, yeah sure you get good spread but 120s on dug-in vet troops aren't as much of a panacea as I'd always like ;)

KR,

LOL! ;)

Sos,

Sure, I understand where you're coming from. I just find it funny that people make so many assumptions from such limited intel ;) .

Fionn,

Just wanted to welcome you back to the fold! I know you've never been away from CM, and have had to peer in from the "outside" for the the last year or so, but it's great that you are back and giving your views on CM tactics and such.

This also gives me the opportunity to thank you, in public, for the great AAR's you did when CMBO was still in it's infancy. I think i've mentioned it to you before, but it was those that first got me (and many others i guess) hooked in the first place.

Anyway, nice to see you back contributing. ;)

Actually Fionn, I rarely go above 120mm. I love the cost effectivness of 120mm. Ya can't beat 102pts for a weapon like that. Not too mentions the delivery time for 150 is horrible. My comment was about the TRPs being there when that is the safest place from arty. When I defend I like to get as much infantry as possible. The FJs are just too expensive to cover much ground. I find that SS rifle work very well for defending. Also I hate seeing expensive infantry come under arty. Defending on such a long map would be difficult by itself along with a 90 turns it almost becomes impossible against an experienced player.

Skelley,

ah ok, I understand what you mean now. One thing though: Time is rarely a factor in my games. I've had one game go beyond 40 turns ( ever) and the vast majority are over by turn 20 to 25. Not saying that's good or bad. It is just my way.

As re: the expensive infantry under arty fire. I know what you mean. Still, I think you'll see that they held up well enough.

Manx,

Hiya ;) . Thanks for the welcome back and the nice words.